Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion are losing my grandson

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Both my kids watched the Albion my daughter being the one who most loved it or should I say Harry Wilson,NEITHER are interested in the Albion any longer although they both still live in the Brighton area,my son plays football locally and my daughter knows nothing of football other than she hates man u.
and the fact that your grandson likes man u is credit to their PR and advertising and maybe not their football =Corporate football ...............the real football is still played at places like the Withdean and sometimes its not that good.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
That sounds to me like he just needs a GOOD HIDING
Exactly. He sounds like a very naughty boy. :theshining:
StonePhilip.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I first started watching the Albion in our penultimate season at the Goldstone and I remember whilst it was a good experience going to watch the games, I was still always adamant that first Man U and a few years later Liverpool were my favourite teams. Admittedly I didn't go every week, but I find it strange that I always had that mentality. My Dad, as a Liverpool fan, wasn't desperate for me to support his team, because they werent. I think this situation is quite normal, my little brother was playing with his pokemon cards at his first game (plymouth1-1 zamora's debut) and he's now a regular attender.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Then perhaps you'd like to meet my 8 year old. Hates the premiership, adores the Albion.

Perhaps you're not bullying your children enough.

Ive got children ?

WHERE

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
We talk so much about encouraging youngsters to the Albion and how we have lost generations of kids.
Let me tell you about my grandson. He was an avid young Man U fan at 8 years old. Every present you had to buy him was something to do with Man U.
Why when his family are Albion through and through? At 8 years old I could not get a ticket for him at Withdean, so the only football he watched was on TV, hence his becoming a Man U fan.
The numbers started to drop at Withdean and I was able for the last three years to get him a season ticket next to mine. Everything was great for him, into the cupboards went all the Man U gear. Everything is now blue and white and he could not wait to go to games with me. Since Christmas I have noticed that he keeps saying to me " Oh granddad this is so boring, can we leave now".
Now he is saying he is not sure he wants to go to games and if he does go he now takes one of these blasted pocket pc games with him.
He would leap about, shout and scream encouragement for the team up until Christmas. He is now showing more interest in Man U again and I find this so sad. But it does demonstrate to me just how badly we have declined recently.

I absolutely concur. My son (11 years old) sat there shivering last night asking when we could go. At one point, he even put his head completely inside his coat! Before last night's match, I got tickets for Saturday as a surprise for him. I told him about the tickets this morning - his face dropped. There is precious little excitement out there at the moment and that's what kids need. I know the good times happen in cycles and I'm sure he'll stick with it until they return - but only to please me, not because he's enjoying himself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe actually better on the whole if everybody's grandkids stopped going to Withdean. Seriously. Could actually be better to keep them away and not risk putting them off the Albion for life, cos all things considered Withdean is a pretty negative experience for grown-ups. Must be ten times worse for kids. Maybe wait two years before taking them. They'll only be two years older and Falmer will presumably be full of all good things to keep grandkids hooked, including exciting footballing atmosphere, a roof, proper foodstuffs, the dreaded facepainting etc etc. Valid thought? Or just bollocks?

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
No to be fair when i went as a kid i would get bored but if hes into his football enough he will stick with it! and at the end of the day its not all about the football when your a kid surley its more about the day out?

spot on!, I remember going to the goldstone and just enjoying the fact iwas aroung other supporters when a child

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
I Have A Friend Who Takes His Son To Reading FC These Days. It's Fairly Cheap For A Premiership Ground, And His Son ALWAYS Insists On A HotDog Or A McDonalds From Inside The Ground. Perhaps If We Had A McDonalds We'd Have More Kids Wanting To Come. There Is Nothing Else Wrong With The Ground. At Least You Can Hear Yourself Think. And Afterall, If Your Manager Is So Stupid That He Ships Out The Crown Jewels And Shows No Variation In His Team Selection, Then Something Else Is Needed To Grab The Attention Of The Kids.

Maybe actually better on the whole if everybody's grandkids stopped going to Withdean. Seriously. Could actually be better to keep them away and not risk putting them off the Albion for life, cos all things considered Withdean is a pretty negative experience for grown-ups. Must be ten times worse for kids. Maybe wait two years before taking them. They'll only be two years older and Falmer will presumably be full of all good things to keep grandkids hooked, including exciting footballing atmosphere, a roof, proper foodstuffs, the dreaded facepainting etc etc. Valid thought? Or just bollocks?

Tip of the iceberg TH. There'll be video plug-ins for them to make predictions, create their own interractive videos of the match, get snapshots they can purchase from the game (of themselves and players) and even a 'School Of Excellence' they can take part in, tutored by a couple of Albion legends before the match.

Also ..... Gully's Girls... grown-up, and with bigger pom-poms.... just imagine...... :drool:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Dont worry, I hated football till I was about 14/15.. My dad dragged me to goldstone/ priestfield and all I cared about wondering about going for a wonder etc I dont think its something the club are or arenot doing. Some of us just take longer to get hooked.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I Have A Friend Who Takes His Son To Reading FC These Days. It's Fairly Cheap For A Premiership Ground, And His Son ALWAYS Insists On A HotDog Or A McDonalds From Inside The Ground. Perhaps If We Had A McDonalds We'd Have More Kids Wanting To Come. There Is Nothing Else Wrong With The Ground. At Least You Can Hear Yourself Think. And Afterall, If Your Manager Is So Stupid That He Ships Out The Crown Jewels And Shows No Variation In His Team Selection, Then Something Else Is Needed To Grab The Attention Of The Kids.

Why on earth to you type like that ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here