Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 170 55.9%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sounds like Biden has taken the hint - thinks it's to late myself.

Leading Democrats believe Joe Biden will be persuaded to quit the presidential race as soon as this weekend, according to reports.

Allies of the 81-year-old president, including Nancy Pelosi, have been presenting him with polling showing Donald Trump could win a landslide victory in the November election if he does not drop out.

Mr Biden is becoming more “receptive” to the pleas for him to stand aside, according to The New York Times.

Democrats have now told Axios that the president, who is isolating with Covid-19, could be persuaded to exit the election as early as this weekend after becoming privately resigned that the unrelenting scrutiny around his campaign makes his presidential bid untenable.

Ms Pelosi, the former House Speaker, cautioned him that his continued presence could jeopardise Democrats’ prospects of reclaiming the House, while Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told him that it would be best to “drop out”.

Until now, Mr Biden has maintained that he will stay in the race, arguing that he is the only Democrat who has beaten Mr Trump in a presidential election.

He has admitted that he “screwed up” in a disastrous television debate against Mr Trump on June 27 and that he does not “speak as smoothly as I used to”, yet has argued concerns about his fitness to lead are unfounded.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Also Obama losing faith. And if there's one person (other than Jill) than might convince Biden:

Obama tells allies Biden needs to seriously consider re-election bid – report​

Barack Obama has told allies in recent days that Joe Biden’s path to victory has greatly diminished and he thinks the president needs to seriously consider the viability of his candidacy, according to the Washington Post, citing multiple sources.

The Post writes:

Obama has only spoken with Biden once since the debate, and he has been clear in his conversations with others that the future of Biden’s candidacy is a decision for the president to make. He has emphasized that his concern is protecting Biden and his legacy, and has pushed back against the idea that he alone can influence Biden’s decision-making process.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
How is she polling?
The impression is badly
As with everything, it depends very much on the poll. Overall, I don't think she's doing substantially worse than Biden and she potentially has more room to grow (the flipside is that she also has room to lose votes too, I guess). The anti-Trump vote is pretty solid as it is. I personally have a hard time thinking of a candidate that the Democrats could put up that would convince me that I should vote for Trump instead.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Looking increasingly like the thread title will need amending before the weekend is out.

The question is, if Biden isn’t deemed well enough to contest the forthcoming election, is he capable of continuing as POTUS in the meantime?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Looking increasingly like the thread title will need amending before the weekend is out.

The question is, if Biden isn’t deemed well enough to contest the forthcoming election, is he capable of continuing as POTUS in the meantime?
There is an argument for stepping down immediately to give Kamala the percieved "benefit" of incumbency.

Jul 20, 2003
I honestly think that if Jesus came back and stood against Trump he'd have his work cut out,

(Given his lefty political position on stuff)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I honestly think that if Jesus came back and stood against Trump he'd have his work cut out,

(Given his lefty political position on stuff)
Yeah, Jesus would definitely be denounced as Woke in today's political climate!

And let's face it, the people who support Trump are not keen on things like compassion, and concern for the sick and the poor - even though many of them claim to be staunch or born-again Christians.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Sounds like Biden has taken the hint - thinks it's to late myself.

Leading Democrats believe Joe Biden will be persuaded to quit the presidential race as soon as this weekend, according to reports.

Allies of the 81-year-old president, including Nancy Pelosi, have been presenting him with polling showing Donald Trump could win a landslide victory in the November election if he does not drop out.

Mr Biden is becoming more “receptive” to the pleas for him to stand aside, according to The New York Times.

Democrats have now told Axios that the president, who is isolating with Covid-19, could be persuaded to exit the election as early as this weekend after becoming privately resigned that the unrelenting scrutiny around his campaign makes his presidential bid untenable.

Ms Pelosi, the former House Speaker, cautioned him that his continued presence could jeopardise Democrats’ prospects of reclaiming the House, while Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told him that it would be best to “drop out”.

Until now, Mr Biden has maintained that he will stay in the race, arguing that he is the only Democrat who has beaten Mr Trump in a presidential election.

He has admitted that he “screwed up” in a disastrous television debate against Mr Trump on June 27 and that he does not “speak as smoothly as I used to”, yet has argued concerns about his fitness to lead are unfounded.
Surely he must see that he is going to be a one term President whatever happens. If he were to make the sacrifice and the Democrats did somehow turn it around it would be seen as a great legacy to the world surely?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's widely suggested that the reason Kamala Harris doesn't appear all that much on TV is because they think her public image is, or would be, worse than Biden's.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's widely suggested that the reason Kamala Harris doesn't appear all that much on TV is because they think her public image is, or would be, worse than Biden's.

Imagine being the person with a public image WORSE than Joe Biden?

:moo:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Biden is keen to get back on the campaign trail , a bit like Sunak saying he could still win the General Election despite being 20 points behind in the polls.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
More and more suggestions and rumours that an announcement is coming this weekend that he is stepping down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here