Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 116 37.1%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 177 56.5%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Except that's not what's coming over when she's interviewed is it ?

She can be a highly accomplished woman and be completely ill suited to being the president.
I think she's come over very well when speaking so far, and I've heard a lot of her speeches and interviews. She isn't trying to be entertaining or colourful, she's talking about policy and her experience. If you think being a bombastic lunatic is required to be president, then personally I think you're looking for the wrong thing. In my opinion, and it's perfectly reasonable to disagree, being president should be about having a clear policy agenda and being able to empower the departments of government to successfully pass legislation which fulfills the policy.

For example, Trump was constantly talking about infrastructure but was never able to pass legislation because his administration was too incompetent to write a bill which could pass, despite having majorities in the Senate and the House for the first 2 years of his presidency. President Biden's administration passed a comprehensive infrastructure bill and it has already resulted in the building of new bridges and roads and resurfacing, etc. It was a major accomplishment which Biden achieved, but Trump couldn't get near. That's the work of a presidency.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

She can be a highly accomplished woman and be completely ill suited to being the president.
What, apart from 'interviewing badly' (which is clearly a matter of opinion as I like what I've seen in general) do you specifically think makes her ill suited to be President?

I've given a couple of reasons above why I think she would be a positive choice.

What do you see as the downsides?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The election isn't even going to be close and it's going to be wonderful coming on here on the Wednesday and revelling in the tears of the then thrice defeated Trump. :albion:
As @Albion my Albion says, it's actually going to be painfully close. A mere handful of votes in a handful of key states is ALL it's about. And unless he wins them, Trump is going to malevolently fight, lie, block, and scheme on a scale that will make 2020 seems like a kiddies' party. This will be ugly, drawn-out and divisive – and how America can ever rebuild its democracy from it will be challenging, to say the least.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's pretty simple, Biden and now Harris are awful awful options as well.

If Trump gets in it's because the Dems didn't pull Biden sooner/Harris was the replacement, any one decent would be miles ahead in the polls.

Only seen clips of it, but Harris interview on CBS seemed painful.

People see Trump as a slightly less awful option.
100% this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I see Trump had another moment yesterday, pillorying Harris for not visiting hurricane stricken North Carolina, while Harris was literally at that time, in *checks notes* North Carolina.

But of course, the truth is scarcely relevant.

Trump supporters are simply not interested. They'll hear Trump's attack and nod "Hell yeah. Too right. What an uncaring bitch", and completely miss / ignore / wilfully deny and corrections they see or hear.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's pretty simple, Biden and now Harris are awful awful options as well.

If Trump gets in it's because the Dems didn't pull Biden sooner/Harris was the replacement, any one decent would be miles ahead in the polls.

Only seen clips of it, but Harris interview on CBS seemed painful.

People see Trump as a slightly less awful option.
It will be fascinating for those interested in politics to see how the election plays out, because the counterpoint is that the emergence of Harris killed Trump's momentum in the wake of the first assassination attempt on 13th July when it looked as though he was a shoe-in for President.

I wouldn't say Harris is an "awful" option. She is clearly more able politician than, say, Liz Truss (who was undeniably awful) or any of the 4 Tory leadership candidates still in the race this morning.

Trump, like Boris, has that ability to cut through to the ordinary person, so he will take this down to the wire.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

And you would be completely wrong. That is not the way the 60 Minutes interview went.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think she's come over very well when speaking so far, and I've heard a lot of her speeches and interviews. She isn't trying to be entertaining or colourful, she's talking about policy and her experience. If you think being a bombastic lunatic is required to be president, then personally I think you're looking for the wrong thing. In my opinion, and it's perfectly reasonable to disagree, being president should be about having a clear policy agenda and being able to empower the departments of government to successfully pass legislation which fulfills the policy.

For example, Trump was constantly talking about infrastructure but was never able to pass legislation because his administration was too incompetent to write a bill which could pass, despite having majorities in the Senate and the House for the first 2 years of his presidency. President Biden's administration passed a comprehensive infrastructure bill and it has already resulted in the building of new bridges and roads and resurfacing, etc. It was a major accomplishment which Biden achieved, but Trump couldn't get near. That's the work of a presidency.
This is your opinion. Unfortunately, it’s not cutting though. The debate certainoy tipped the balance towards Harris, but that was weeks ago. I remain convinced that unless Harris lands some significant blows in the next 4 weeks, or Trump fucks up, enough floating voters will drift back to Trump by next month to give him a victory.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Trump supporters are simply not interested. They'll hear Trump's attack and nod "Hell yeah. Too right. What an uncaring bitch", and completely miss / ignore / wilfully deny and corrections they see or hear.
It is so frustrating isn't it? He gets given a simple question, rambles like fukk but his supporters cannot see the failure to answer and love the rambling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here