Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 170 55.9%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I love reading and learning about major (previous) conspiracy theories that turned out to be true.

Watergate, MKUltra, COINTELPRO, Iran-Contra affair, Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Op Chaos, The Gulf of Tonkin Incident, Op Northwoods, The Doolittle Raid Deception and Op Paperclip. That's 10 examples of major conspiracy theories that were later discovered to be factually true.

I'm currently reading 'CHAOS: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties'.
A mental book, that touches on a couple of my above examples.

---

In terms of a current coup with the Democratic Party, the DNC and Biden... Coup is not the right word, imo. However, he was quite clearly ousted by 'higher-ups' once it was quickly determined that he (they) had slim chance of beating Trump in the next election. No matter what side we prefer or lean towards, there should be no wilful denial of that.
Yes. He was ousted as the presidential candidate. His replacement has now been officially selected as the new candidate.

But calling it a coup is willfully misrepresenting it and typical Trump (and his followers) rhetoric

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't be stupid, if Biden is unfit to run again he is unfit for office and should resign.

That's not true. I will explain:

1) He could be fit to run again, but consider that he doesn't have a good chance of winning the next election, so step down from the race for the next president.
2) He/his team could consider that he's fit now, and will still be fit in a year's time, but not be fit in 2 or 3 year's time, when there's 1.5 to 2.5 year's left of the presidency, so decide that it best he steps down now.

Trump is older than Biden was when he was last running, and Trump is already becoming incoherent. Trump isn't fit to be president now, but in a couple of year's time he'll be even more of a joke.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's it? Your claim of 'quite often' is TWO not exactly water tight or proven examples?

And the Wuhan labs isn't even a conspiracy theory, that's a mainstream theory. The whole world has always been suspicious of China's version of events, given that they stopped the international experts from investigating it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yes. He was ousted as the presidential candidate.
Fully agree. It’s good to see that accurately stated as many still refuse to use those terms.

His replacement has now been officially selected as the new candidate.
Officially selected by the party, though not by the people. This is where the blues and reds split their differences.

But calling it a coup is willfully misrepresenting it
Fully agree.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
DNC have already had a coup to install Harris unelected in primaries, maybe have another one at the DNC Congress this month. Although I read an argument that the polls were rigged by adjusting the sampling to convince other Dems that Harris was is the real deal as she has been unpopular in the past.

Yes that is a conspiracy theory but they quite often turn out to be correct these days.
Wibble.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Trump fails to see the irony of his recent criticism of Harris, saying she was only picked for "politically correct reasons". Almost as if he's admitting to only being in it for politically incorrect reasons.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Fully agree. It’s good to see that accurately stated as many still refuse to use those terms.
The only person who could make Biden withdraw from the race was Biden himself. There are no mechanisms for forcibly removing a Presidential presumptive nominee candidate from the ballot for either Party (as SC found out when they tried to remove Trump from the ballot under Art 3 of the 14th Amendment because he had been convicted of engaging in insurrection by indictment. Biden took the decision to withdraw for the good of the Country as it was becoming increasingly clear his age was becoming a serious impediment to a successful campaign.
Officially selected by the party, though not by the people. This is where the blues and reds split their differences.
Er, not sure the point being made here but if we are going to make a comparative analysis of the two main parties’ democratic procedures of electing a Presidential nominee, the outcome is less deleterious to the Dems than it is for the Republicans:

Unlike the Republicans, the Dems do not have rules that bound pledged delegates to use their vote at Convention to vote for the same candidate they won pledges for in the primaries - that rule actually makes the final vote for the Presidential nominee less controlled by a smaller concentration of members.

As for ‘reds and blues spitting their differences’ afa nominating candidates at primary stage, it is the Republicans who should be giving cause for concern in that regard:

Some States still have closed primaries meaning only those registered with a particular party can vote at that party’s primaries or caucus - (In recent decades, more States had been moving to open primaries).

However, recently the Republicans are moving towards imposing even more closed primaries and ‘weaponizing the election process to impose purity tests on partisanship and ideology’. It’s really disingenuous and biased thinking to accuse the Democrats of ‘undemocratically ousting’ a Democratic candidate that won the most pledges in the primaries when those primaries don’t pin down the delegates to vote for him anyway (and he voluntarily withdrew) whilst not even acknowledging that the Republicans are actively trying to remove the few democratic procedures there are at the roots of the electoral system and preventing even more of the ”people” from voting in primaries.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I think this is going to be an absolute blow out election, Trump is going to fully implode long before election day and the Democrats will get out and vote. Hopefully it's going to be a clean sweep of the presidency, Senate and the House of Representatives so the Harris administration's first term can really get legislation written and passed. The Supreme Court needs serious reform, president Biden has started that work and a Harris administration could get that over the line.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite amusing listening to a podcast this morning that has noticed that Trump keeps conflating asylum seekers and insane asylums.

He genuinely doesn't seem to understand the difference between the two. The man is SPECTACULARLY thick.

It's a bit like when Michael Jackson was alive - I don't feel we'll fully appreciate quite how weird he was until after he's passed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I love reading and learning about major (previous) conspiracy theories that turned out to be true.

Watergate, MKUltra, COINTELPRO, Iran-Contra affair, Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Op Chaos, The Gulf of Tonkin Incident, Op Northwoods, The Doolittle Raid Deception and Op Paperclip. That's 10 examples of major conspiracy theories that were later discovered to be factually true.

I'm currently reading 'CHAOS: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties'.
A mental book, that touches on a couple of my above examples.

---

In terms of a current coup with the Democratic Party, the DNC and Biden... Coup is not the right word, imo. However, he was quite clearly ousted by 'higher-ups' once it was quickly determined that he (they) had slim chance of beating Trump in the next election. No matter what side we prefer or lean towards, there should be no wilful denial of that.
Was the Manson business not all black and white?

Was watching the excellent Beach Boys docu on Disney Plus didn't realise that both Dennis Wilson and Mike Love had hook ups with two of the Manson family, Love was quite candid in the interview.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Remember, he's not senile according to his supporters:

Just can't tell Wille Brown from Jerry Brown and had a helicopter ride with an emergency landing which neither Willie or Jerry say actually happened.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
In terms of his possible association with the CIA and MKUltra, in combination with his long-term probation officer, amongst other details, it’s super murky.

The book delves deep into all of this and is massively eye opening regarding the crazy things the US Govt. did in the 50’s-70’s with drug experimentation on its citizens.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
In terms of his possible association with the CIA and MKUltra, in combination with his long-term probation officer, amongst other details, it’s super murky.

The book delves deep into all of this and is massively eye opening regarding the crazy things the US Govt. did in the 50’s-70’s with drug experimentation on its citizens.
Your prediliction for conspiracy theories is fascinating 😂

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Remember, he's not senile according to his supporters:

Just can't tell Wille Brown from Jerry Brown and had a helicopter ride with an emergency landing which neither Willie or Jerry say actually happened.
IMG_1223.gif

I guess the ‘crash’ he nearly died in mushed up his brains a bit 😎

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Was watching the excellent Beach Boys docu on Disney Plus didn't realise that both Dennis Wilson and Mike Love had hook ups with two of the Manson family, Love was quite candid in the interview.
The Beach Boys actually recorded the Manson penned song 'Cease to Exist" which he wrote specifically for them. The Beach Boys changed the title to ' lNever Learn Not to Love', changed a few lyrics and credited it to Dennis Wilson.

Apparently some of Trump's evangelical followers have been sharing this pic of Trump with "Jesus" not realising it's actually Charles Manson...

EgPyEU1UEAAXiG5.jpeg

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Wow, you’re further gone than I realized.
Yep that’s me. 👍

Left of centre, no time for conspiracy theorists, apologists for Trumpism, those who like to repeat Trump’s criticism of Harris as their own, or people who troll others with laughter emojis and ad hominen barbed comments because they disagree with them politically but are too weak to admit it.

Have a nice day.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yep that’s me. 👍

Left of centre, no time for conspiracy theoriests, apologists for Trumpism or people who troll others with laughter emojis and ad hominen barbed comments because they disagree with them politically.

Have a nice day.
Because you do none of those things.
How very self aware you are.

Goodnight petal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here