Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That's why we are going down

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Today, the millwall manager got it right. Mark McGhee got it wrong.

When was the last time we bought on a handful of subs at half time who turned the game round completely?

We have absolutely no plan B - If one of the strikers doesn't look like scoring, another one comes on and does no better. The midfield was being torn to pieces in the second half, and yet McGhee didn't dare try and change the shape of the team at all. Oh, and surely when you're desperate you need to throw all your strikers on? I assume Jake was on the bench, surely it was would have been worth giving him the last five minutes. Any why leave it so late to bring Leon on? It was obvious the game was turning against us.

Paul McShane, in my opinion, probably needed a few more games in the reserves to get fit. I know he has been one of our better performers, but the defence was coping without him, and today as well as Luton he just didn't look sharp enough. Butters and El Abd again weren't all that bad, but couldn't rely on the usually dependable McShane when the ball entered the penalty box.

How many one on ones did we miss as well? Hammond took the first well, but was clean through late in the half, and a goal then would probably have sewn it up. Leon i think squandered a sitter at the end as well. However, musn't forget that we absolitely BATTERED them in the first half, a great performance but a real dissapointment we were a ttotal contrast in the second half.

I still enjoyed myself today, despite asking for a seat in J, i was in H, with Mark McCammons biggest fan proving great entertainment. Oh, and the bloke at the burger van somehow manage to charge me only £4 for a cheese burger, chips and drink (a reasonable price at last!!), and managed to somehow throw in an extra portion of chips which i passed off to someone in the queue.

(Oh, and i don't think we're going down, and i apologise for ranting. I just like to show my annoyance at those stupid songs sung at one nil up, with 80 mins to play. Made us look like tits! We can stay up, but we must improve again, and fast, and certainly shouldn't expect to be beating anyone.)

3 points at Saint please!:)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Danny Wilsons Blue and White Army :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Three subs at half time is a gamble, what if the keeper is sent off or somebody gets injured? Then it backfires. Apart from Jake there were no other options on the bench and I'm not sure where you'd put him if you did bring him on. If anything it shows the threadbare nature of our squad at the moment, I'm assuming Hart was rested for the Southampton game today which was why he wasn't on the bench.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Hart could well be in midfield man marking quashie wherever he goes - El Abd at r back and Mayo at l back - with Knight up front

Either that or Hart rb and Knight in midfield and Robinson up front

Think I prefer the first option

Subs bench will highlight how small our squad is at the minute

Assuming the first option subs will be Chagneau, Elphick, Nicolas ( if fit ), Robinson and whoever else worth a chance from the youth yeam?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
McGhee was almost Sven-like in his non-reaction to Millwalls changes though. Turning 0-1 into 2-1 within 5 minutes of the restart, it was quite clear that we were suddenly getting overrun by the worst team in the League...and this continued to be the case the longer the half wore on. WHY was Kaz subbed and Leon brought on ? The game was clearly going away from us, so taking off one of our forwards and slinging on that sulky little wanker with 20 minutes to go, predictably did precisely f***-all.

I'll still back McGhee, largely because I don't think there are any viable alternatives out there who'd fancy it...but he's making it harder and harder to back him.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Easy 10 said:

I'll still back McGhee, largely because I don't think there are any viable alternatives out there who'd fancy it...but he's making it harder and harder to back him.

That sentence might just sum up our season....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Withdean Wanderer said:
That sentence might just sum up our season....
I think McGhee has done enough in his time at the club to earn our trust...generally, the end justifies the means, and by the end of the season he usually comes up smelling of roses. Who's to say that someone else in charge would do any better with this crop of players ? With someone else in charge, we could be adrift at the foot of the table with this squad.

My gut feeling is that if we DID bring someone else in, they'd do no better with this group of players. So you've got to stick with the guy, because so far, he's not let us down. But as I said earlier, he's making it harder to defend him at the moment.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Easy 10 said:

Danny Wilsons Blue and White Army :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Easy 10 said:
I think McGhee has done enough in his time at the club to earn our trust...generally, the end justifies the means, and by the end of the season he usually comes up smelling of roses. Who's to say that someone else in charge would do any better with this crop of players ? With someone else in charge, we could be adrift at the foot of the table with this squad.

My gut feeling is that if we DID bring someone else in, they'd do no better with this group of players. So you've got to stick with the guy, because so far, he's not let us down. But as I said earlier, he's making it harder to defend him at the moment.

Exactly how i feel Easy. There isn't anyone else who could do a better job. I'm beginning to lose faith with McGhee, but then we'll go and fluke a win at Saints or something and then all will be fine until the next bad run. And the next one....

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
What do people expect? An easy stroll in the park? We're in the Championship and its gonna be a f***ing scrap. We're gonna be crap at times, great, lets be crap in the Championship. Rather be here than a Swindon or Brizzol City fan right now.

Redhill Seagull

Oct 22, 2003
Redhill
Turkey said:
What do people expect? An easy stroll in the park? We're in the Championship and its gonna be a f***ing scrap. We're gonna be crap at times, great, lets be crap in the Championship. Rather be here than a Swindon or Brizzol City fan right now. [/QUO

TE]
absoulutley correct. As i said above all we need is a striker who can find the net and we would be in a comfortable posistion.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Turkey said:
What do people expect? An easy stroll in the park? We're in the Championship and its gonna be a f***ing scrap. We're gonna be crap at times, great, lets be crap in the Championship. Rather be here than a Swindon or Brizzol City fan right now.

Yes, quite agree with all that. But there's only so many times you can afford to be crap, especially against a Millwall side who were clearly dreadful. I'm loving watching this season (good and bad!), but just thought i'd make a post about why i thought it went wrong today.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I am glad everyone keeps ignoring the post about Danny Wilson, as he has been a failure in all his last few jobs. Great suggestion!

The problem is definitely in the forwards. Kazim-Richards ends up giving the ball away nearly every time he gets it, and Knight really is off the boil. He needs to be careful or he will not have a career in league football at all. McCammon can do a job, but the quality of crosses into him is abysmal. Surely Frutos and Carole can work on their crossing. I am depressed. We need a striker!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Withdean Wanderer said:
Exactly how i feel Easy. There isn't anyone else who could do a better job. I'm beginning to lose faith with McGhee, but then we'll go and fluke a win at Saints or something and then all will be fine until the next bad run. And the next one....
I think its basically a case of "better the devil you know...." innit.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Withdean Wanderer said:
Oh, and the bloke at the burger van somehow manage to charge me only £4 for a cheese burger, chips and drink (a reasonable price at last!!), and managed to somehow throw in an extra portion of chips which i passed off to someone in the queue.

You ate a CHEESEBURGER at WITHDEAN :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here