Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thats It - Ban Turkey & Turkish Clubs Before Someone Is Seriously Hurt!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Chelsea's Frank Lampard has called on Uefa to take action against Besiktas after being subjected to a barrage of missiles during the Champions League clash in the AufSchalke Arena.

78222.jpg

The Chelsea bench use umbrella's for protection

Chelsea ran a gauntlet of hate from more than 51,000 hostile Turkish fans in the final Group G fixture, but came through to win the group after goals from Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and substitute Wayne Bridge.

The start of the second half was delayed by eight minutes and the players taken back into the tunnel as fans behind Carlo Cudicini's goal threw toilet rolls onto the pitch, and other missiles were hurled at Claudio Ranieri's men.

"The night is soured when things like that happen," said Lampard. "Things were thrown on to the pitch and it was lucky that nobody was hurt. We had bundles of coins coming at us, even in the warm-up.

"I am sure Uefa have got legislation to deal with this and it is about time they did something about it."

Uefa switched this game from Istanbul in the interests of safety following recent terrorist attacks there and John Terry compared the experience to playing for England in Turkey in their final Euro 2004 qualifier in October.

"It was pretty similar to Turkey but this was one of the most hostile crowds I have ever played in front of," said Terry.

"It is not good for football and they should definitely do something about it. It seems to be part of their football and it is not nice but thankfully nobody got hurt.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
They'll get away with it as usual.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah Frank, someone could have been seriously injured by one of those toilet rolls.

:lolol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe they were trying to hurt Frank, he's so handsome and sexy.

Ban them, they have to learn somehow.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Perhaps Dave The Gaffer's colleague might like to explain why these incidents are commonplace whenever a Turkish side play. It would be interesting to get his perspective.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
edna krabappel said:
Yeah Frank, someone could have been seriously injured by one of those toilet rolls.

:lolol:

yeah but edna, they were used ones :eek:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uefa are going to have to do something eventually but they are trying to sit on their hands and ignore it for as long as possible.

After all it's only those nasty English fans who cause problems, isn't it? ???

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The toilet rolls aren't a problem, i actually find them quite amusing, it's the amount of coins that's the worrying thing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I fully agree Trigger - these have gone way beyond isolated incidents with the Turks now. It seems like almost every big match involving a Turkish club side or the national team is played out under a hail of missiles. Turkey v Macedonia, one of the Macedonian players was struck by something after celebrating a goal, and who could forget the sight of that player taking a corner with about 30 cops with riot shields behind him trying to stop the hail of objects onto the pitch ? The Galatasaray v Fenerbahce match saw more of the same, and now last night we saw the scenes at the Chelsea match where the ref even had to take the teams off for 7 minutes, and the bench are sitting there with umbrellas for protection against lighters and coins being hurled from the crowd.

Enough is enough. UEFA have to act NOW to ban Turkish club sides from Europe for two years, or until they get their house in order. Issuing paltry fines to the Turkish FA will do absolutely nothing to resolve this problem, and it seems to be getting worse. Its only a matter of time now before someone gets seriously injured or blinded at the rate things are going, and its NOT GOOD ENOUGH for UEFA to wait for something like that to happen before doing something about it.
I say ban the club sides from Europe, and the National side should play its home fixtures behind closed doors. If the Turks insist on behaving like animals inside football stadiums, then ban them, simple as.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It's deadly serious though and sickening that they have been allowed to get away with this behaviour for a few years now whilst an English fan only has to fart and we'll be banned from euro 2004.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What will UEFA do if Wales v England and Turkey v Greece happen on the same night. The potential for trouble at both games is massive. If the English play up they are likely to get booted out of the World Cup, but will UEFA as usual ignore the Turks actions?

And before anyone says do not give England tickets for Cardiff, I think it will be impossible not to. It is part of the same country and so nearly impossible to stop England travelling.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure they will do anything about last night- bearing in mind they were playing at a theoretically neutral ground, and most of the Turks at the game were German based ones, so Besiktas will probably say they couldn't have done anything about it as they weren't their fans.

No reason not to penalise them, the same as threatening to ban England because of the gorillas that follow them around, but I can't see it happening.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Uncle Buck said:
And before anyone says do not give England tickets for Cardiff, I think it will be impossible not to. It is part of the same country and so nearly impossible to stop England travelling.

Yes, I can't see a UEFA imposed closure of the Severn Bridge... :D

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
I went to the Confederations Cup semi between France and Turkey last summer at the Stade de France, and the turkish fans did not stop hurling objects towards the pitch (about the only good thing about having a running track between fans and pitch is that objects from the crowd don't usually make it onto the pitch).

The question is: WHY haven't either FIFA or UEFA punished Turkey yet?

I think it's to do with the fact that, unlike the major leagues of europe, Turkey's league is still establishing itself, and the popularity of football there is rapidly rising. We hadve to admit, they're becoming rather successful, too. To ban Turkish teams from Europe would stunt this growth, possibly permanently, and reduce the income from Turkish fans, and, as we all know, in football, money talks. Added to that, there's also the 'gateway to the east' argument - that the European football powerbase is spreading, and requires football to be seen to be popular and successful in European / Asian border countries in order to encourage neighbouring Asian countries to invest / be bitten by the bug.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gotsmanov said:
I went to the Confederations Cup semi between France and Turkey last summer at the Stade de France, and the turkish fans did not stop hurling objects towards the pitch (about the only good thing about having a running track between fans and pitch is that objects from the crowd don't usually make it onto the pitch).

The question is: WHY haven't either FIFA or UEFA punished Turkey yet?

I think it's to do with the fact that, unlike the major leagues of europe, Turkey's league is still establishing itself, and the popularity of football there is rapidly rising. We hadve to admit, they're becoming rather successful, too. To ban Turkish teams from Europe would stunt this growth, possibly permanently, and reduce the income from Turkish fans, and, as we all know, in football, money talks. Added to that, there's also the 'gateway to the east' argument - that the European football powerbase is spreading, and requires football to be seen to be popular and successful in European / Asian border countries in order to encourage neighbouring Asian countries to invest / be bitten by the bug.

Who gives a f*** about stuntin it's growth, if they can't teach their fans to behave then they can f*** off. It's becoming very dangerous, doesn't take much for somebody to be blinded by a stray coin.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
What could eufa do if all the FA's in europe stated that unless action was taken they would not send any of their sides to play a Turkish team, whether it was on neutral ground or not. They may fine or ban the clubs concerned but eventually they will run out of teams to play the dirty turks

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Who gives a f*** about stuntin it's growth, if they can't teach their fans to behave then they can f*** off. It's becoming very dangerous, doesn't take much for somebody to be blinded by a stray coin.

Damnit, it's obvious to you, and it's obvious to me.

I've got a plan, let's have a f***ing REVOLUTION. Chappers, you go and take over FIFA, i'll run UEFA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here