Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That’ll do nicely!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think we can all see that the team hasn't quite gelled yet, so to have 7 points from 3 games is remarkable.

Performances will improve as things properly click and adding in our exciting new players (and a returning legend) will make us even stronger. We could be scarily good in a month or so.
A counter-point to that is that other coaches will have had more of a look at Hurzeler's set-up and tactics, so there will invariably be a period where results aren't so good and some will ask whether he/we have been 'worked out'. Because we're off to a flier, we can afford a dip and still be in the conversation for Europe. How quickly things are turned around will be the key. I'm also expecting the odd shocking result (see Luton last year), simply because we can't be consistently good this early in FH's reign, SURELY?

Unless we are unbelievably lucky, there will be some (more) injuries to cope with. In which position and to whom they occur will greatly affect how disruptive they are (despite our strength in depth relative to last year).

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than to say that we are very much ahead of where I thought we'd be and we have plenty of room to improve, so this could be an amazing season. Equally, 3 games is a small sample size and there could be as yet unseen teething problems with the new coach and good/bad luck with injuries will always play a part.

I'm feeling quite chipper this morning, so f**k it, WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE :lolol: (though I'm not sure where that leaves me regarding my overall view that next season will be better than this - are we going to win next year's Champions League?!)
To add to your optimism, the international break has come at a good time. Pervis will be closer to a start and, hopefully, a return to form (was dreadful vs Arse). Ferdi might even be challenging to get on the pitch. Wieffer ought to be fit, ditto Gruda. March isn't too far away either, and Fergie ought to be closer.
Note that all those players coming in will increase unpredictability for opposition managers in working out FH formation and personnel.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Re man u , no !

They're rubbish. They finished 8th last season. And they've gone and signed more rubbish. Only fernandes and mainoo would get in our team.
Sure for the expectations of Utd they are deemed " sh1t " by everyone who is now allowed an opinion.

In the last 2 years though , they have

Finished 3rd and 8th
Won League cup
Won FA Cup
1/4 finals of Europa

They are still a decent outfit , its just deemed they are sh1t as they are Man U

They have issues but they are a long way off Rubbish

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
To add to your optimism, the international break has come at a good time. Pervis will be closer to a start and, hopefully, a return to form (was dreadful vs Arse). Ferdi might even be challenging to get on the pitch. Wieffer ought to be fit, ditto Gruda. March isn't too far away either, and Fergie ought to be closer.
Adding to "we're going to win the league" optimism?! Is it too early for league & cup double vibes?

I absolutely agree by the way - a couple of weeks for injuries to heal/fitness to improve and time to drill the players now is great timing for us.
Note that all those players coming in will increase unpredictability for opposition managers in working out FH formation and personnel.
Good point. Is it too early for treble vibes? :lolol:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Without wishing to sound like trumpet blowing I do feel a tinge of pity for our south coast neighbours Southampton, aka Saints, aka the best team in the south. Where we have hit the ground running and pretty much everything has gone our way results wise it is the exact opposite for Southampton. Unlucky to lose to a lacklustre Newcastle they then had the opportunity to redeem the situation against ‘lesser’ teams in Nottingham Forest and Brentford - they failed, losing to both.

So smugness aside I just wonder how us fans would be feeling had the Albion suffered the same fate? Would we be patient and forgiving of Fab and the team and accepted it as work in progress? Down here in Solent City I can assure you that there is no patience and no forgiveness, and very little love for Russell Martin. I am so glad my stripes are blue and white. :ascarf:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Without wishing to sound like trumpet blowing I do feel a tinge of pity for our south coast neighbours Southampton, aka Saints, aka the best team in the south. Where we have hit the ground running and pretty much everything has gone our way results wise it is the exact opposite for Southampton. Unlucky to lose to a lacklustre Newcastle they then had the opportunity to redeem the situation against ‘lesser’ teams in Nottingham Forest and Brentford - they failed, losing to both.

So smugness aside I just wonder how us fans would be feeling had the Albion suffered the same fate? Would we be patient and forgiving of Fab and the team and accepted it as work in progress? Down here in Solent City I can assure you that there is no patience and no forgiveness, and very little love for Russell Martin. I am so glad my stripes are blue and white. :ascarf:
If Brighton had started the season with losing to Newcastle, Nottingham and Brentford, people would be kneeling in front of Graham Potter or really anyone past puberty. Such is the reality of fans and patience in nearly every club, especially at this level.

Different here of course as our squad is much more competitive. Russell Martin has a really difficult job in front of him. With the squad they have, the fans should be cartwheeling of joy if they manage to get 25 points this season, but I don't think they're going to feel that way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

When we were where they are now, we had pragmatist Chris Hughton setting the tone, and it worked.

Russell Martin doesn't seem one to deviate from his beliefs and style of play, and I'm just not sure he's got good enough players for that in the Premier League.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
What, even for the chance of finding out where the **** Qarabag (that team that seems to eliminate one of the Scottish teams every other season!) is?
:lolol:
We don’t need to qualify for the Conference League to find that out. If you’d been paying attention they were one of our possible last 16 opponents last season so most of us know where it is (and what a f***ing nightmare it looks to get there).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We don’t need to qualify for the Conference League to find that out. If you’d been paying attention they were one of our possible last 16 opponents last season so most of us know where it is (and what a f***ing nightmare it looks to get there).
OK, substitute Noah or Drita then ............. but I would still question your use of the word 'most'! :)

Top six is a bit of a stretch....I'd settle for seventh and Europa Conference
No conference this year. only 5th place to get Europa League (at least according to the oh so reliable (not!) BBC

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What do you mean "no conference"?

Isn't 5th and 6th Europa League and 7th Conference?
Same as before

Top 4 - CL, although could be 5 with coefficients
5th (or 6th) - Europa League
FA Cup winner - Europa League (goes to 6th or 7th if won by a CL qualifying team)
Carabao Cup winner - Conference League (goes to 7th or 8th if won by a CL or EL qualifying team)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Same as before

FA Cup winner - Europa League (goes to 6th or 7th if won by a CL qualifying team)
Carabao Cup winner - Conference League (goes to 7th or 8th if won by a CL or EL qualifying team)

That's what I thought. So what's @giveusfalmerplease saying?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's what I thought. So what's @giveusfalmerplease saying?
Sesame Street Idk GIF

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Same as before

Conference League can also go to the team finishing 6th as Chelsea found out last season when 8th placed Man Utd won the FA Cup. Meaning 6th got Conference League and 7th placed Newcastle didn’t qualify for Europe.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
View attachment 188421
View attachment 188422
This is what im talking about for all those dissing me.
This is the same as last season. BBC are just showing what are effectively the "definite" spots, because there is no guarantee of:

- A fifth CL spot thanks to good performance of the English teams
- 6th place getting the Europa spot, because it could go to the FA Cup winner
- 7th place getting a Conference spot because it could go to the League Cup winner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here