Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thatcher

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But the thing is Adrian and I assume you are around the same age as me, you have had the chance to embrace what Maggie tried to do. But you say your political views do not allow you to either vote or acknowledge Tory values.

You lived in Brighton in the 80's and started work around that time. You too are part of Brighton's 'supposed' golden generation.

I aknowledge them and if there was a one nation conservative approach then perhaps I could vote for that. However there has not been a one nation conservative leader for nigh on 50 years and I dont expect one in the next 30. The nearest we've had to that is New Labour.

Also it is my views that influence my political leanings - not my leanings that influence my views. Please understand that.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thatcher tried to create a nation a proud homeowners. People who decades before would have had absolutely no chance of owning their own house. Suddenly had that very chance. The chance of choice.

I may be wrong on this but that excludes average working folks who cannot afford to buy or was everyone entitled to buy a council property not just the unemployed/benefit folks? As I say, I may be wrong on this?

D

Deleted User X18H

Every council tenant had the right to buy the property they lived in.

D

Deleted User X18H

I aknowledge them and if there was a one nation conservative approach then perhaps I could vote for that. However there has not been a one nation conservative leader for nigh on 50 years and I dont expect one in the next 30. The nearest we've had to that is New Labour.

Also it is my views that influence my political leanings - not my leanings that influence my views. Please understand that.

:thumbsup:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Good idea as it helped those not so well off to get a step on the property rung, just ask my mother-in-law.

hang on - how does not replacing the sold off stock do that. What it did in effect was allow some to benefit at the expense of others. It allowed the new homeowners to buy at below the market rate and it allowed private enterprise to benefit from those for who social housing was no longer available. So everybody wins................or do they? As in most cases those who needed assistance in society were the ones who lost out. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lady Thatcher is the cleverest woman I know and an absolute political godess. Just incredible lady with a fantastic charisma that dominates every room or event she has ever been to. There is nothing bad that can be said about her.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Lady Thatcher is the cleverest woman I know and an absolute political godess. Just incredible lady with a fantastic charisma that dominates every room or event she has ever been to. There is nothing bad that can be said about her.

she has yellow teeth?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The problem here is so many resent success for some reason.

We have bred a level of hatred of people who make money where as in reality anyone can do it.

Such a shame really as those that despise this could walk away and leave a bit of room for more people who aspire to achieve.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Of course you could. As I expect you can today.

Never knew that. However, as is happening today, as aresult of governments from both persuausions, the average family that does not qualify for council tenancy but yet cannot afford to get on the property ladder lose out.

D

Deleted User X18H

hang on - how does not replacing the sold off stock do that. What it did in effect was allow some to benefit at the expense of others. It allowed the new homeowners to buy at below the market rate and it allowed private enterprise to benefit from those for who social housing was no longer available. So everybody wins................or do they? As in most cases those who needed assistance in society were the ones who lost out. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer.

No. Initially Thatcher's policy was to allow current council,tenants to buy the homes they occupied with cheap mortgages.

It was the next 'lot' in the late 90's that allowed the private equity companies to get involved.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

We have bred a level of hatred of people who make money where as in reality anyone can do it.

Such a shame really as those that despise this could walk away and leave a bit of room for more people who aspire to achieve.

Yes, that is a nice theory but if you work in a fairly poorly paid job that just keeps your family afloat it is not really that easy to leave it, start a business, get re-trained etc and hope your business succeeds or you find a new job (not easy) and try to feed your family at the same time. Not impossible for everyone but also not possible for everyone.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

Sorry but that is just plain twaddle and you know it. Making a reasonable profit is every traders right. They can develop a business but you can be socially responsible and successful at the same time. you can also be exploitative and a failure too. They are not mutually exclusive.

As for leaving more room - I suspect it would be taken up by those horrible foreigners that want to come to the uk.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

How about sacrificing 258 lives to win an election?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here