Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Thatcher killed football"

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton
More words from Einstein.
His thuggish contribution to the beautiful game, is the boring on eye, hoofing style, obsession with strength, organisation, set pieces, and territorial advantage. A turn-off for many fans & kids.
Thank Christ for Barca, ManU, Spain, Arsenal, any many others for keeping the dream alive.

What about us overly protective parents not letting kids play football on side streets, or out of sight, especially of Primary School age.

Errrmmm what about us as one of the teams keeping the dream alive

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thatcher didn't kill football , Sky did. Pumping £ billions in to the game over the last 20 years and hardly any of it trickled down to the lower leagues. We now have plastic armchair fans whose entire knowledge about a club is what they read in The Mirror or The Sun and when they watch a "live" game on TV. Kids know its virtually impossible to become a star in the Premier but might have had a chance in the old days before the imports arrived. Education today is geared to getting as many pupils into higher education and university regardless of them being able to get a job after they graduate. Sport is an "add on" to the curriculum and the fatties dont participate because they have a sicknote.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thatcher didn't kill football , Sky did. Pumping £ billions in to the game over the last 20 years and hardly any of it trickled down to the lower leagues. We now have plastic armchair fans whose entire knowledge about a club is what they read in The Mirror or The Sun and when they watch a "live" game on TV. Kids know its virtually impossible to become a star in the Premier but might have had a chance in the old days before the imports arrived. Education today is geared to getting as many pupils into higher education and university regardless of them being able to get a job after they graduate. Sport is an "add on" to the curriculum and the fatties dont participate because they have a sicknote.

Surely the same accusation could be levelled at Barca and Real in Spain, yet they are the world champions.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not really an issue due with what happened with me but you can buy in advance if you are savvy.

I do think rail fares are far too high but a captive market.

Just as well I don't have to pay them..........

I went to a business meeting last week and it was still £200 buying for a specific train in advance. The service is good, but ridiculously overpriced.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I went to a business meeting last week and it was still £200 buying for a specific train in advance. The service is good, but ridiculously overpriced.

I don't disagree it is extremely expensive rail travel and will only get more costly unless everyone wants it subsidised even more and pay more tax.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't disagree it is extremely expensive rail travel and will only get more costly unless everyone wants it subsidised even more and pay more tax.

Or run more efficiently and savings passed onto passengers........

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
In Korea I can travel the equivalent of Manchester to London for 20 notes premium class. That's high speed not intersluggy. Why as a country that pretty much invented rail travel have we become so exorbitant with such a basic commodity? There really is no excuse.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I blame Thatcher for this.

So in the inevitable global game, which we have now, Mrs.T was to blame for Messi, Villa, Aguero, Flamini, Ronaldo ... all being greedy or ambitious.

Little old England wouldn't have been able to stop the new monied game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Or run more efficiently and savings passed onto passengers........

I don't think that is so much the problem it is all to do with track access costs etc, think Virgin Trains is run quite efficiently.

Although I have to say each train seems to have quite a few staff on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here