Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THAT Wood penalty.....

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
You have to give the keeper credit there, it was a good save. I've seen far worse penalties go in. And FWIW, the incident was right in front of me and I thought it was a clear pen, just surprised it was given. The Jamie Smith one looked even more definite. As the for Lallana one, well I would have shouted for it if it had been an Albion player, but I thought he dived.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think it wrong that an 18 year old loanee walks into the side and starts taking the pens.
We need to establish regular penalty takers from our own players. I know if Barnes had been on the field he would have taken it, but why did Murray not take it himself, the one he scored at Woking was superb.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
the keeper gambled and moves to his left a yard before diving , well before the kick was taken.
if he hadn't moved early he wouldnt have got it

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
That's exactly what I said at the time. A really poor penalty and the perfect height for the keeper. Bennett should take the penalties.

BTW the poster who said it wasn't a penalty is wrong. I had the perfect view in front of it. Through ball from Smith, Murray tripped, absolutely clear cut.
Hasn't he already missed a couple?

Didn't Wood realise that the keeper would in all probability dive that way because of the penalty on Saturday ? Smashing it in the other corner or even allowing another player to take it should have been the decision if Barnesy was off the pitch.
Double bluff - go the same way thinking the keeper will expect it to go the other way but in fact go the same way anyway. The keeper has a 50/50 choice of which way to go and guessed right on this occasion.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I think it wrong that an 18 year old loanee walks into the side and starts taking the pens.
We need to establish regular penalty takers from our own players. I know if Barnes had been on the field he would have taken it, but why did Murray not take it himself, the one he scored at Woking was superb.

Correct.It is something Poyet Will have to sort.....now!To be honest,he should never have been allowed to take the one against Bristol.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Answer me this though, was our pen appeal in the first half justified (try and be honest). Lallana is more likely to try and score than dive for me.

I genuinely thought he was going away from goal slightly and took a dive, may have been a slight touch but certainly not a foul. Would like to see it again though

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Good positioning although might have been hit harder. Keeper did well though.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It was a terrible penalty.

Any penalty that gives the keeper a 50/50 chance of saving is NOT good. 2 feet off ground, 1 foot in from corner, any keeper guessing right way is going to save it. keep it on floor or in top corner, nothing else. Then it matter not which way keeper goes, he is not going to save it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the worst just slam it down the middle as all keepers dive one way or another none ever stay still in the middle of the goal, just make sure it is above his leg height.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep that shows it alot better - the keeper moving 2 yards off his line that is...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here