Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any penalty missed is a poor one.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sorry ladies and gentlemen but that was a shit penalty. Two foot off the ground, two foot inside the post = easy save. If the keeper goes the right way he will always save this type of penalty.

Agree it was a good height for the keeper and always gave him a chance. Wood looked absolutely gutted while there lot celebrated like they just won the league

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Sorry ladies and gentlemen but that was a shit penalty. Two foot off the ground, two foot inside the post = easy save. If the keeper goes the right way he will always save this type of penalty.

Absolutely what I thought. Yes, it was fairly near the corner, but the most important thing in penalties is HEIGHT. You've got to go very low or very high. Anything in that 2-3ft off the ground zone and the keeper has a fantastic chance of saving it. I thought it was poor.

Poor pen.

He telegraphed it with his body shape. You can hit it like that if you send the keeper the other way but wood made it obvious.

You can see in the video on page 1 that he has drilled it hard and its right in the cornher if that hits the net - the keeper moves before the ball is kicked too.

Yeha its a foot off the ground but its still not a BAD penalty....(obviously a lot better if it'd gone in!!!)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've seen worse go in. Unlucky. I think the credit has to go to the goalkeeper.

I was pretty pissed of yesterday mind!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think I can see me on that video (well I can see where I was sitting in the far distance anyway).

Looked a better penalty and a better save from where I was. Wasn't actually very well taken

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Or you hit it higher like he did on Saturday. Still he is not the first player to have a penalty saved.

He should have taken it in exactly the same way as his successful one on Saturday-that was unstoppable and placed where no goalkeeper would get close to saving it.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Poor pen.

He telegraphed it with his body shape. You can hit it like that if you send the keeper the other way but wood made it obvious.

That's exactly what I said at the time. A really poor penalty and the perfect height for the keeper. Bennett should take the penalties.

BTW the poster who said it wasn't a penalty is wrong. I had the perfect view in front of it. Through ball from Smith, Murray tripped, absolutely clear cut.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I thought it was a good penalty and a great save from a very good keeper. If the keeper dived the other everyone would be raving about another good finish. That's the way it goes with penalties

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
If the keeper guesses right and the penalty is low, then there is a better than even chance it will be saved, and if it is it makes the keeper look good, most low penalties succeed when the keeper goes the wrong way. in my opinion a good penalty, but wrong decission

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Six penalties and we have missed four of them - not good enough.

Surely we have someone more reliable in the team.

Why not give Dicker or Calderon a go?

Surprisingly the statistics show that only 75% of penalties are scored - thats a hell of a lot of misses.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think it's a problem that we are changing the taker so regularly. Barnes is still the first choice but as he is only playing 2 thirds of a game we need a regular back up to. I'd be more than happy for that to be Wood. Or Baz of course if he's on the pitch :flair: Never been confident with Murray, always too laid back!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Hopefully this will be fully processed soon. I uploaded it an hour ago and it's still not ready. Darn it.

Cheers for that. Thoroughbly enjoyable. Like the way your guy coming on fouled our defender to relieve the the pressure fully.

Answer me this though, was our pen appeal in the first half justified (try and be honest). Lallana is more likely to try and score than dive for me.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Agree it was a good height for the keeper and always gave him a chance. Wood looked absolutely gutted while there lot celebrated like they just won the league

I agree Wood looked like he was trying to dummy the ball to the keeper's right, but he was too front-on to fool him. And the ball was a long way inside the post. And way too high.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't Wood realise that the keeper would in all probability dive that way because of the penalty on Saturday ? Smashing it in the other corner or even allowing another player to take it should have been the decision if Barnesy was off the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here