Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That moment when it went in...........

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Some bloke in a black t-shirt who I had never met before in my life told me he loved me.

I loved him too.

Delirious scenes!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It was a fantastic moment in time, the very reason we all love football, however, we all woke up this morning back in the real world, no food on the shelves, no fuel at the pumps, blasted Brexit has left us all having to eat our own earwax… oh how I long to for days when we were in the bosom of the EU.

There's another place for your nonsense.... but not here and not now.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not going to lie, until the 95th minute I was having a thoroughly wretched evening. A really annoying trip up, that absolute tip of stadium making it impossible to see anything meaningful other than the Sainsbury's penalty area, the very underwhelming Albion performance, their manky penalty being the difference between us etc etc.........And then, thanks to the keeper faking his way to a free kick, we get Veltman's precision volley and Maupay's moment of utter brilliance....The previous 3 hours forgotten and it was joy unconfined.

Let's make no bones about it, I have been less euphoric after a win, that felt like a win for us and a dagger in the heart for them. The post-goal mayhem was a sight to behold and the reaction of our players both in celebration and post-final whistle just made it all that bit sweeter. Then to discover we were not kettled so we could avoid NJ and he'd to Thornton Heath for a more sedate journey home was just the icing on the cake. Been smiling like a Cheshire Cat all day. Football eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And when the dust has settled just sit down and think about the people who don't like football, is there really any other scenario where you can get that sort of release to scream and shout, leaping into the air and be totally consumed in that moment.

About the only equivalent scenario I can think of is when a team wins a Golden Gavel on Bargain Hunt :moo:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Not going to lie, until the 95th minute I was having a thoroughly wretched evening. A really annoying trip up, that absolute tip of stadium making it impossible to see anything meaningful other than the Sainsbury's penalty area, the very underwhelming Albion performance, their manky penalty being the difference between us etc etc.........And then, thanks to the keeper faking his way to a free kick, we get Veltman's precision volley and Maupay's moment of utter brilliance....The previous 3 hours forgotten and it was joy unconfined.

Let's make no bones about it, I have been less euphoric after a win, that felt like a win for us and a dagger in the heart for them. The post-goal mayhem was a sight to behold and the reaction of our players both in celebration and post-final whistle just made it all that bit sweeter. Then to discover we were not kettled so we could avoid NJ and he'd to Thornton Heath for a more sedate journey home was just the icing on the cake. Been smiling like a Cheshire Cat all day. Football eh?

Unlike our players, in extra time, I had resigned myself to the fact that it was an 'off-day' and anyway we'd had an excellent start to the season..... and then that wonderful goal...... I was just euphoric and kept punching the air in sheer delight. That moment is up there with some of the greatest, and the memory will always bring a smile to my face....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
About the only equivalent scenario I can think of is when a team wins a Golden Gavel on Bargain Hunt :moo:

I hadn't thought of it in that way; that certainly helps to put last night's emotional rollercoaster in context Tom :thumbsup:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Unlike our players, in extra time, I had resigned myself to the fact that it was an 'off-day' and anyway we'd had an excellent start to the season..... and then that wonderful moment. I was just euphoric and kept punching the air in sheer delight. That moment is up there with some of the greatest, and the memory will always bring a smile to my face....

Absolutely.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My stream was about a minute behind and had a mate text "wait for it" with no other context. I had no idea if it was us or them that scored or if it was a red card or what.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Two hours on a bus, a shite, overpriced burger and 94 minutes and 24 seconds of not much worth watching, and the whole night is utterly transformed with two kicks in seconds. Football eh ? Even taking 3 hours to get home didn't seem so bad, just spent it (like everyone else on the bus) watching replays of the goal :)

And the replays on the bus went round and round, round and round . . . . :albion2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And when the dust has settled just sit down and think about the people who don't like football, is there really any other scenario where you can get that sort of release to scream and shout, leaping into the air and be totally consumed in that moment.

I envy their calm world and steady heart rhythms, but I passionately love the summits on football’s rollercoaster ride.

Football supporting was tailor-made for my personality.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
....that's why we go to football isn't it?

Fans going mad in the ground, fans at home screaming at their telly in joy or disbelief, shithousery from the players, kicking off everywhere, the LOOK on Zahaha's face and most of their fans' boats as well. Sky having to change every plan for their post game interviews at the very last second. Pure pantomime, pure atmosphere and it still feels pretty good now.

Plus it feels like a win. We'll go into the Arsenal game on a massive high now.

THAT is what I mean when I say that a lucky result in front of a packed stadium can sometimes be better than a good but fruitless performance in an empty one. THAT is why last season, for me, was so frustrating and m'eh. And, let's face it, if fans had been in the Amex last season for their game with us their lot would have done exactly the same while we would have emptied the stadium and sulked for months.

Football without the fans is nothing.
Only because Palace are in the Premier league. They'll be getting gates of 15,000 and giving free tickets to their kiddy ultras again as soon as they go down.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only because Palace are in the Premier league. They'll be getting gates of 15,000 and giving free tickets to their kiddy ultras again as soon as they go down.

Good point, well made, as ever :thumbsup:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Goalkeeper's (poor) kick

Veltman's cushioned pass.

Roar from the away end as we realise it's a chance - then after Maupay lofts the ball there was a (very brief) moment of almost complete silence as we wait for the ball to nestle in the net or go wide.

Cue complete pandemonium.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good point, well made, as ever :thumbsup:

I'd given up and was sat on the edge of the bed waiting for the final whistle to turn the telly off.

When the goal went in I made no sound, but found myself turned upside with my my legs frantically kicking in the air.

Not the first time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Goalkeeper's (poor) kick

Veltman's cushioned pass.

Roar from the away end as we realise it's a chance - then after Maupay lofts the ball there was a (very brief) moment of almost complete silence as we wait for the ball to nestle in the net or go wide.

Cue complete pandemonium.

The roar is just massive.......

[tweet]1442797515628220427[/tweet]

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Shocked that the CladStad's announcer (spoilsport) didn't enter into the spirit of things with that uber-tinpot Call & Response shtick:-

"And the goal was scored by Neal Maupay, ... Neeeaaallll..." (cups ear playfully)

BHA Fans: MAUPAY!!!!

Cue (OMNES): Clad All Over (with particular emphasis on the All Over)

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I saw the goalkeeper on my stream, rolling around on the floor and thought that was it.

I casually checked Twitter only to see “GOAL - Maupay” posted 2s ago by BHAFC. I couldn’t understand how the bloody hell we’d scored so quickly!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My stream was about a minute behind and had a mate text "wait for it" with no other context. I had no idea if it was us or them that scored or if it was a red card or what.

Streams are painful in that regard - I’ve learned not to look at NSC too much during a game.

When you’re running a minute or more behind reality, the chances of seeing a slew of YESSS!! GET THE FECK IN!! or FFS, SO INEVITABLE!!! messages is best avoided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here