Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Abramovich Really Is A Nice Man.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Scarborough have been handed a further £25,000 to help fund their youth academy by FA Cup opponents Chelsea.

The Nationwide Conference side already stand to make close to £500,000 from their televised fourth-round clash at the McCain Stadium.

Now Chelsea's Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovich has pledged the extra cash to the north-Yorkshire club's centre of excellence.

Scarborough chairman Malcolm Reynolds said: "This is a tremendous shot in the arm for us, absolutely brilliant news. I can only say: Thank you Mr Abramovich.

"The centre costs us £50,000-a-year to run and this will help local kids for miles around. There is no other outlet for soccer for 40 miles around here.

"Sport England axed our funding when we dropped out of the Football League, but we were determined to keep the centre going for the kids. Chelsea have helped us no end."

The Chelsea players are also donating signed shirts to help Scarborough's fund-raising activities.

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole added: "I'm really pleased the club is helping out in this way.

"One of the problems in this country is discovering more homegrown talent, and those players can come from any corner of the country."

Just think how much money we'd be making if our players put in some effort at Lincoln...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
nice gesture, even if it is approximately 12 minutes earnings for him!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
He is actually a top bloke.All credit.:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He can give as much money as he likes to the Yorkshire club, they're still not going to let them win tomorrow ;)

Seriously, I really hope Scarborough get a draw and a return at Stamford Bridge.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a magnificent gesture by the fella. This sort of thing is almost unheard of in this day and age. Its only a drop in the ocean of his vast fortune obviously, but nevertheless, he didn't HAVE to do it. All credit to him.

The flipside, as ever, is Man U. They've now stopped playing their reserve games at Bury's Gigg Lane because they were unhappy with the pitch (I think they play at Accrington now). So Bury, a club on the brink of going out of existance, now dip out on the moderate fee they were receiving from Man U for the use of their ground. Would it really have killed United to pay for the pitch there to be re-laid ? You know, as a gesture of support towards a local lower league club in dire straights ?

PLC's eh

Easy 10 said:
What a magnificent gesture by the fella. This sort of thing is almost unheard of in this day and age. Its only a drop in the ocean of his vast fortune obviously, but nevertheless, he didn't HAVE to do it. All credit to him.

The flipside, as ever, is Man U. They've now stopped playing their reserve games at Bury's Gigg Lane because they were unhappy with the pitch (I think they play at Accrington now). So Bury, a club on the brink of going out of existance, now dip out on the moderate fee they were receiving from Man U for the use of their ground. Would it really have killed United to pay for the pitch there to be re-laid ? You know, as a gesture of support towards a local lower league club in dire straights ?

PLC's eh

Well, indeed. Bottom line is that they are a plc - Ambramovich is dipping into his own pocket. ManUre must only think of shareholders' dividends. Perhaps the Nevilles, with their connections, could put a bit of money in, and persuade some of the other rich tossers at the club to do so. But that, of course, would be asking way too much...

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Sorry I'm too much of a cynic on these matters, how much does all this free good publicity cost in reality? I think £25g was money well spent.

Now when i see him giving millions to charity (one player, without wages would keep 100 small-medium sized charities running for at least 2 years.)

Then I might be impressed, at the moment i am just too cynical, why them why now, oh yeah the press is there due to a game.

If someone can point out where he's spending his pennies outside of where the team are playing it might make me a little softer.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
marvin said:
Sorry I'm too much of a cynic on these matters, how much does all this free good publicity cost in reality? I think £25g was money well spent.

Now when i see him giving millions to charity (one player, without wages would keep 100 small-medium sized charities running for at least 2 years.)

Then I might be impressed, at the moment i am just too cynical, why them why now, oh yeah the press is there due to a game.

If someone can point out where he's spending his pennies outside of where the team are playing it might make me a little softer.

Well, I'm sure Scarborough aren't complaining.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
perth seagull said:
Well, I'm sure Scarborough aren't complaining.

Sure they are not but its the "nice bloke" bit that I was on about.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
marvin, sometimes you are more miserable than your avatar.

He actually is a very nice bloke. E.g.:

"Every year he sends the children of Chukotka on holiday to the Black Sea, one of many charitable programmes he funds. Earlier this year, Abramovich bought 30,000 houses for those inhabitants who wished to relocate to Russia's milder climes.

"They were pleased," he says and then wryly adds: "Most of them have rented out the properties I gave them and stayed in Chukotka."

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
Juan Albion said:
marvin, sometimes you are more miserable than your avatar.

He actually is a very nice bloke. E.g.:

"Every year he sends the children of Chukotka on holiday to the Black Sea, one of many charitable programmes he funds. Earlier this year, Abramovich bought 30,000 houses for those inhabitants who wished to relocate to Russia's milder climes.

"They were pleased," he says and then wryly adds: "Most of them have rented out the properties I gave them and stayed in Chukotka."
OK so maybe he is, I know little about the Guy, I was just stating (at the top) that i am cynical about these things and remain so.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I agree with Marvin. It's for the publicity. He wants the public to back Chelsea.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
I agree with Marvin. It's for the publicity. He wants the public to back Chelsea.

I don't think I absolutely have a view on why he's done it, I remain cynical about the motives for anyone doing things unless I know what they are absolutely.

Does it make him a nice guy? Well Archole gives money to charity does it make him a nice guy? The Krays did a lot for charity, did it make them nice guys?

I'll let you know if this a nice guy or a ruthless git trying to buy public acceptance and to buy a conscience when I get to know him a bit better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here