Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thankyou Brighton and Martin Perry.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If it's anything like our situation it makes you wonder how it is within a democracy how a small handful of people can deny the will of a majority. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
My wife was talking to me last night about the go ahead that Bristol City got. At first I was shocked that she was talking to me about football but then I realised she was just excited about the biggest ever Sainsbury's that is going to be built in Ashton Gate's place !! I would be a bit worried about the idea that this is the last hurdle for City to get over. We know so very painfully how powerful the NIMBY's can be and hopefully City realise that there is a long fight to go before they get their stadium.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Christ, reading that BCFC thread on their forum with all their thanks to MP almost brought a tear to my eye. What a smashing thing to do and a great advert for clubs working together to shoot down the arguments so often put forward by NIMBYs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Lets hope a certain councillor in Bath doesn't get involved with the NIMBY campaign.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Martin Perry is a f***ing legend.

He gets a bit of grief from time to time but the work and PASSION he has put into the Falmer project is nothing short of AMAZING

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Get with the programme Uncle Hines

Didn't you know that he is a workshy shirker who took way too long to deliver Falmer and has been stringing the club along in order to just claim his inflated salary without delivering anything.

It was purely luck that we have planning permission and a almost completed building when other major developments in brighton and hove (black rock arena, new brighton centre, king alfred etc) have withered on the vine.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Get with the programme Uncle Hines

Didn't you know that he is a workshy shirker who took way too long to deliver Falmer and has been stringing the club along in order to just claim his inflated salary without delivering anything.

It was purely luck that we have planning permission and a almost completed building when other major developments in brighton and hove (black rock arena, new brighton centre, king alfred etc) have withered on the vine.
He was paid to deliver a stadium and he has done so. But playing devils advocate a bit, it took a VERY long time and would still be a long way off if it wasn't for Uncle Tony, so your post sounds a bit like one of those people who would post "where are the moaners now?" just after the once-every-two-monthly occasion that was a win during Micky Adams' second spell. I think you're being harsh on people who dared to question his ability.

However, he is to be commended for getting the stadium done and contributing to Bristol City's cause in this way, and that is how history will judge him.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Good luck in your push for a new stadium BCFC.

Great club, great City.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
He was paid to deliver a stadium and he has done so. But playing devils advocate a bit, it took a VERY long time and would still be a long way off if it wasn't for Uncle Tony, so your post sounds a bit like one of those people who would post "where are the moaners now?" just after the once-every-two-monthly occasion that was a win during Micky Adams' second spell. I think you're being harsh on people who dared to question his ability.

However, he is to be commended for getting the stadium done and contributing to Bristol City's cause in this way, and that is how history will judge him.

I see your point - but to put it another way, it's like those who complained about the length of time Alex Ferguson took to win a title for man u despite significant investment in the team. If it hadn't been for his forsight and nurturing of the youth set up that would have still been a longer way off.

yes it took a long time and in that long time no other significant development within Brighton and Hove was conceived and completed. New Englnd Quarter was first planned in 1991 whilst the Jubilee site and library was originally planned in 1982. That was the point I was making.

And if it sounds harsh on those who questioned his ability then so be it. basically bcause those who questioned his ability were doing so from a level of knowledge equivalent to me criticising Jessica Ennis on her javelin technique.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Martin's reply to their email of thanks.

Dear Tim

I have been receiving many messages from Bristol City fans this evening and it is going to be difficult to respond to all of them so I hope you will forgive me for sending out similar messages. However I would like to say how much I appreciate the time and trouble that everyone has taken to write to me. I thought that I would have a sleep in the car as I was being driven home but my phone kept on buzzing and I really enjoyed reading them all.

It was a pleasure to come down and try to help. When we needed help at Brighton – both in the period just before Dick Knight and I took over the club, and then in support of our planning application for our new stadium fans, from clubs all over the country helped us including Bristol City fans. It was the very least I could do therefore to return the favour and I was delighted to have been asked by the Club and I enjoyed it – although it I have to say it was with a sense of déjà vu – hearing all the old arguments about how terrible it is all going to be and how the figures don’t stack up. We have already got that Tee shirt!!!

Although I have to say that even through all the planning committee meetings, public inquiries and high court hearings we went through, we didn’t have a church service and hymns being sung next door – that was a new experience for me!!!!! You couldn’t make it up if you tried, no-one would believe that a committee that was considering the potential investment of millions of pounds into the City let alone the cost of all the consultants etc., would be held in such circumstances!!

However I am delighted at the outcome – I thought the speakers supporting the development were excellent – they all did a very good job for you and the decision was the right one and I am equally delighted that it takes you a step closer to your new stadium – I shall watch further developments with a great deal of interest and of course if there is anything else we can do to support you we will help.

I wish you all therefore the very best of luck for the rest of the season and we look forward hopefully to welcoming you in our new stadium next season.

One thing you will notice about our new stadium is that you will not have to look over a running track to see the pitch – you will now have to go to West Ham for that!!!

With very best wishes and kind regards to you all.

Martin Perry

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Yeah Bristol is a nice city, i know some people up that way who originally born in Brighton but moved up that way for work, its a lovely city and some nice areas on outskirts.
Bristol also deserves a bigger stadium as city is big, pleased to see that we could be of some help, good luck with the last stage Bristol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here