Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thankyou Brighton and Martin Perry.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sounds familiar! :lolol: Keep fighting, you'll beat them in the end. Good luck :thumbsup:

People used to make similar comments about us - why did they sell their ground? what's wrong with withdean?

They want to progress as a club and in this day and age it means a new stadium

And debt. Luckily we won't have that. Plus we havent got our own ground, they have. Still they have their battles to fight. Our is just coming to fruition.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Sounds familiar! :lolol: Keep fighting, you'll beat them in the end. Good luck :thumbsup:

People used to make similar comments about us - why did they sell their ground? what's wrong with withdean?

They want to progress as a club and in this day and age it means a new stadium

Er, Withdean isn't comparable with Ashton Gate and 'We' didn't sell our ground.

bcfc dave

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, this is wierd: a member of your forum named after our (moderately) iconic former striker Pinamonte, and an administrator from North Somerset - just a few miles from Ashton Vale!!

I've got very fond memories of watching Albion many years ago when I was at Uni and when City weren't playing! You had a certain Peter Ward at the time, and the promotion season from Div 3 he got an absolutely phenomenal number of goals - 37 or something was it? I remember an evening game v walsall that was 0-0 at half time and finished 7-0! And going to a reserve game that attracted a crowd of 25,000 because they gave out vouchers for a cup tie v Palarse (I think). Oh, and there's something else we have in common - hating Palarse!! Best of luck for the rest of the season and looking forward to a weekend in Brighton next season!!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Excusing my ignorance, but what did Perry actually say in his speech?

Ciderup

Mar 2, 2011
Excusing my ignorance, but what did Perry actually say in his speech?

He spoke of the 'Brighton vision' and its' fruition plus the many jobs, facilities and advantages it is bringing to your area. He spoke really passionately about your club and your cities need for it and drew comparisons with our situation. he closed with a passionate appeal NOT to miss out on the opportunity our councillors had to bring in well over £100M of private investment in times of struggle.
He was superb TBH.

BCFC Jordan

Mar 2, 2011
Brief summary update from the live text has a little of what he says.

18.50 - Martin Perry, chief executive from Brighton & HA FC has driven 150 miles to speak today. "I've heard this before and it took us 14 years to build a stadium in Brighton...we open in August this year. The impact it will have on this city will improve education, skills training and jobs. We've seen it in Brighton. You have the same opportunities." In excess of 1,000 jobs have been created in Brighton. He adds: "This development is not just about football, it's much more important than that."

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Careful you don't have to groundshare with Wrexham,and mind that the "village green" resonates with "duckpond" and that rich and antagonistic nimbys often have friends in high places. But really,good luck with it.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
yes good luck bristol city in your final hurdle to fight for a new stadium

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Fantastic work Mr Perry. He stands alongside Messers Knight and Bloom as the main men who made our dream become a reality.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
A second massive thank you from Bristol!! By all accounts your guy made a serious difference for us.

Yes, tonight was about Sainsburys getting permission for a new store, which means they'll buy Ashton Gate from us, and that's a significant part of the funding for our new stadium.

We have already got planning consent for the stadium!! So it really is a huge step tonight. The only remaining hurdle is that a bunch of nimby locals are using some badly drafted legislation to try to get the site of the proposed new ground designated as a 'village green'. And despite that appearing to be an absolute joke at the outset (it's a bit of scrubland where a few people have walked their dogs and most people just dumped rubbish!) they have persuaded an inspector of their case. So, still one hurdle to overcome but a massive step tonight and a massive thank you to the Albion. See you next season!

Hmmmm, that NIMBY bit sounds an awfully familiar beast (in slightly different wolf's clothing!!).

But fear not, you will prevail even if they bugger you about time-wise for a while....can't imagine it'll be as bad as the bloody national park / AONB issues our NIMBYs stumbled along with.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Hmmmm, that NIMBY bit sounds an awfully familiar beast (in slightly different wolf's clothing!!).

But fear not, you will prevail even if they bugger you about time-wise for a while....can't imagine it'll be as bad as the bloody national park / AONB issues our NIMBYs stumbled along with.

Indeed Capt - but God help 'em if there's a duck pond/kebab wrapper threat involved...

ps Good luck guys with the new stadium bid in Brizzle. :thumbsup:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Fantastic work Mr Perry. He stands alongside Messers Knight and Bloom as the main men who made our dream become a reality.

Totally agree - and I made a point of mentioning it directly to him when I was lucky enough to meet him a few months ago. I think he hasn't quite had his praises sung as highly as they should have been, even though the overwhelming majority must quietly appreciate it.

I remember attending a forum when Coppell was manager. He looked absolutely exhausted after a number of heavy meetings and loads of stressful travelling, yet had made the effort to join DK and Copp for an evening of Q&A.

Hats off to him.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
seriously best of luck with it Brizzle :)

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Good luck BC, and hope it turns out well. Does this mean you've forgiven us for 2004?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Maybe we should've made up a banner with "Better Luck Next Year Bristol " on it ?

Would love to see that famous old photo again...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here