Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thankyou Brighton and Martin Perry.

BCFC Jordan

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks from Bristol City for speaking for our new stadium tonight. I'm sure you played a large part in our success.

I look forward to watching City v Brighton next year! :)

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Thanks from Bristol City for speaking for our new stadium tonight. I'm sure you played a large part in our success.

I look forward to watching City v Brighton next year! :)

Am I right in thinking that what has happened tonight is planning approval to build a Sainsburys on the site of Ashton Gate?

But not permission yet to build the new stadium at Ashton Vale..which requires another lengthy process.

BCFC Jordan

Mar 2, 2011
Am I right in thinking that what has happened tonight is planning approval to build a Sainsburys on the site of Ashton Gate?

But not permission yet to build the new stadium at Ashton Vale..which requires another lengthy process.

Correct although it was an appeal. It was declined last time and is the main funding for the stadium. We simply have one bit left now which is obviously, another massive obstacle in the way but hopefully that will now be changed. After all it's 30,000 vs 20.

bcfc dave

Mar 2, 2011
A second massive thank you from Bristol!! By all accounts your guy made a serious difference for us.

Yes, tonight was about Sainsburys getting permission for a new store, which means they'll buy Ashton Gate from us, and that's a significant part of the funding for our new stadium.

We have already got planning consent for the stadium!! So it really is a huge step tonight. The only remaining hurdle is that a bunch of nimby locals are using some badly drafted legislation to try to get the site of the proposed new ground designated as a 'village green'. And despite that appearing to be an absolute joke at the outset (it's a bit of scrubland where a few people have walked their dogs and most people just dumped rubbish!) they have persuaded an inspector of their case. So, still one hurdle to overcome but a massive step tonight and a massive thank you to the Albion. See you next season!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The only remaining hurdle is that a bunch of nimby locals are using some badly drafted legislation to try to get the site of the proposed new ground designated as a 'village green'. And despite that appearing to be an absolute joke at the outset (it's a bit of scrubland where a few people have walked their dogs and most people just dumped rubbish!) they have persuaded an inspector of their case.

Hmm, now where have I heard something like that before. Good luck guys, and I hope it doesn't take you as long as it took us :thumbsup:

bcfcman

Mar 2, 2011
Our ground is a bit dated now. Also Brizzle is one of the biggest cities in the UK and we have no 'big' venue for sport or other events like music.
Big shout out to Mr Perry and wish Brighton best of luck in 44 games next year in the championship

BCFC Jordan

Mar 2, 2011
That's what I wonder. It's a fine ground. Why can't they just develop it?

The majority of us do still love the Ashton Gate but it's outdated now and the new stadium will host concerts etc for Bristol, due to there not being any other suitable big stadiums to host as such. Concerts and things similar will cause the club to be self sustainable financially which is what our chairman's main aim is for when he does leave the club.

Ciderup

Mar 2, 2011
Another City fan with thanks, Martin played an absolute blinder for us tonight.
You are finally forgiven for Cardiff 2004!

All the best with the Amex and see you next season.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
The majority of us do still love the Ashton Gate but it's outdated now and the new stadium will host concerts etc for Bristol, due to there not being any other suitable big stadiums to host as such. Concerts and things similar will cause the club to be self sustainable financially which is what our chairman's main aim is for when he does leave the club.

Sounds good. Its what your city deserves, best of luck with it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And despite that appearing to be an absolute joke at the outset (it's a bit of scrubland where a few people have walked their dogs and most people just dumped rubbish!) they have persuaded an inspector of their case. So, still one hurdle to overcome but a massive step tonight and a massive thank you to the Albion. See you next season!

Sounds familiar! :lolol: Keep fighting, you'll beat them in the end. Good luck :thumbsup:

Whats wrong with their current ground?

That's what I wonder. It's a fine ground. Why can't they just develop it?

People used to make similar comments about us - why did they sell their ground? what's wrong with withdean?

They want to progress as a club and in this day and age it means a new stadium

Ciderup

Mar 2, 2011
In answer to your questions as to why we don't redevelop.... the footprint (area) of our exisiting stadium is way too small to fit the new place in it so we are hoping to move over the road (about 500 yards tbh).
Hopefully, like yourselves, we WILL get there.
Martins' speech made a real difference tonight, he was brilliant. His e mail inbox is going to be rammed with messages of thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here