Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank god we got knocked out of the paint pot

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Well your mate Nige must've gone to a completely different match tonight if he thought 'we' played well. Although there were some positives eg Jimmy Mac's did really well on his return; Murray looked like he actually wanted to play (& did, pretty reasonably); & we looked more competent as a defensive unit when not in possession - but as an attacking force? We were predictable; unsupportive of the player on the ball; midfield were reluctant to ever bust-a-gut & get in the opposition's box; we lacked any real movement off the ball & thus struggled to create any clear-cut chances...

So is it really any wonder that we drew another blank again tonight? I know what I think. We've got real problems, and I hope to God the management get it sorted: & bloody sharpish.

Not good enough.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. :)

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Was a nice distraction seeing us actually win games aside from the shite being served up in the league last season but this year with all that's going on behind the scenes with the stadium and the change in players etc much happier we are out so we can concentrate on the league and not get detracted from that and players suffer burn out etc.
At least the F.A cup still has a bit of appeal and magic to it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the people who are saying "it's only the piss-pot, so what?" are missing the point. I too have no time for the piss-pot; it's a third-rate competiton where the criteria for entry is you have to be a crap lower-division side. I didn't watch a game last year (until Sky broadcast the Luton game) and, yeah, ok, I would probably have gone to the final - but only really for the chance to go to Wembley. And even then I don't think I could get too excited about sitting in a two-thirds full stadium watching us play someone like Rotherham.

Anyway that's all irrelevant. I want us to win every game, even the relatively unimportant ones. Winning is GOOD. Winning makes everybody feel better, and more importantly it gives the players confidence. All this 'the JPT is irrelevant, now we can concentrate on the league' is a dangerous dismissal of what could be a serious problem. We've won a grand total of TWO games in all competitions this season, and some of the defeats have been bad. Our fringe players losing to Orient's fringe players in a shit cup is on the face of it neither here nor there, but it would be easier to accept (both by the fans and the players) if we were doing ok in the league. As it is it's another re-enforcement of the subliminal message which must be in the players' minds: "we're shit and we know we are."

Last edited:

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
7 defeats in 12 games this season makes grim reading. The appalling start at home already guarantees a home record similar to last season, when we lost 11. Better sides than we have played already will also come to Withdean and take 3 points. The pressure is therefore transferred to away games, where the fans now say.." we have to win at Yeovil " etc
I am sick and tired of this " here we go again feeling at Withdean "...when fans turn up expecting the worst and watch games continually chucked away.
Slade's pre-season mantra of making Withdean into a fortress is laughable ( more like a bloody sand-castle ! )
We have players in the squad who are not good enough...they have reached a certain level, not improved and because of this limit in ability, they are regularly being found out.
Fans who say we have a strong squad are deluding themselves. We have to improve quickly, particularly at home, or Slade is gone.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... We have players in the squad who are not good enough...they have reached a certain level, not improved and because of this limit in ability, they are regularly being found out.
Fans who say we have a strong squad are deluding themselves. We have to improve quickly, particularly at home, or Slade is gone.

Indeed. I keep reading (and I mean KEEP reading) post after post after post on here saying that the squad is stronger than last year. Given what's happened so far how do people make that judgment? How much of that is based on fact and how much is just delusion because people WANT it to be better? I think in some cases it's become a mantra that people say to ward off evil spirits: "The squad is stronger than last year, it just needs time to gel." That's followed by "We're only doing so badly because of injuries and suspensions."

Maybe it IS stronger, but if it is then we've improved a bit and by the looks of it everybody else has improved a lot. Still, at least we finished the match with eleven players, got to look on the bright side.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Well your mate Nige must've gone to a completely different match tonight if he thought 'we' played well. Although there were some positives eg Jimmy Mac's did really well on his return; Murray looked like he actually wanted to play (& did, pretty reasonably); & we looked more competent as a defensive unit when not in possession - but as an attacking force? We were predictable; unsupportive of the player on the ball; midfield were reluctant to ever bust-a-gut & get in the opposition's box; we lacked any real movement off the ball & thus struggled to create any clear-cut chances...

So is it really any wonder that we drew another blank again tonight? I know what I think. We've got real problems, and I hope to God the management get it sorted: & bloody sharpish.

Not good enough.

That is simply not what I saw. Granted the final ball at times was tame but we totally dominated them for the first 65 minutes. The passing was neat and accurate meaning we retained the ball very well, lets also not forget that apart from Aaron Davies we had a totally different midfield and forward 2 than has been playing all season. Jimmy Mac and Wrighty looked excellent at the back and I thought Thornhill showed glimpses of the quality he has. Murray was battling and looked like he is ready to knuckle down, he was also clearly the most gifted footballer on the pitch his touch is so so good.

The problems where thus - This was our reserves of sorts so towards the end (as our subs made the team a FULL reserve side bar Elphick) they looked like a team that had not had enough first team games.

Orient brought on there best player (Townsend) when our defenders where tired.

Elphick - lets decent players run at him ALL THE TIME, once Whingy is back Virgo and Tunnicliffe should be centre back pairing.

VIRGO IS NOT A RIGHT BACK - Tunni is better there till AW is back.

With Bennett, Forster and Dicker back we will see things change I am sure. Stop moaning.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Indeed. I keep reading (and I mean KEEP reading) post after post after post on here saying that the squad is stronger than last year. Given what's happened so far how do people make that judgment? How much of that is based on fact and how much is just delusion because people WANT it to be better? I think in some cases it's become a mantra that people say to ward off evil spirits: "The squad is stronger than last year, it just needs time to gel." That's followed by "We're only doing so badly because of injuries and suspensions."

Maybe it IS stronger, but if it is then we've improved a bit and by the looks of it everybody else has improved a lot. Still, at least we finished the match with eleven players, got to look on the bright side.

Man for Man they are better.

Bennett - Better than Loft
Crofts - Better than Fraser
Dickinson - Better than Robinson
Tunnicliffe - Better than Lynch
J.Wright - Better than Mayo

It is taking time but we are playing much better football than last year. We are getting there but Rome was not built in a day!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Can't agree with the threadstarter. Losing is a habit like winning - and two wins in all competitions ain't good enough.

We're not one of "the big four" - we can't go around picking and choosing which competition to be bothered about. A win last night would have given us some momentum to go into the next games.

Apart from a few players getting match practice, I can't see any positives to take from yet another defeat.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Tonight was treated as a run out for players who needed a competetive game. Hopefully some of them will be nearer playing a league game now. IMHO thats all the competition is useful for.

Not bothered that we lost this and hopefully we will get 3 points at Yeovil with some fresh players to come back.

If thats the case why did slade say he was in it to win it,and why play players that could result in a fine.

Its about building blocks and a win is a win which we could build on. Everyone keeps saying we are a better team than last year, which we may very well be. Having said that the wait for them to gel arrgument cuts no ice with me as every other team has new players and they seem to have got it together alot quicker than us. How much longer shall we give them, i dont know and im not calling for slades head yet, but.............. its not going well is it.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
With Bennett, Forster and Dicker back we will see things change I am sure. Stop moaning.

Well I hope you're right - as I'm seriously starting to question our ability to create decent chances (& perhaps even start scoring goals).

Fair play that you disagree with my take on last night's proceedings, btw. It's all about opinions innit? :wink:

ps A good ol' moan actually feels bloody good sometimes, but if our fortunes change I'll cheerfully resume my usual happy-go-lucky mindset. :thumbsup:

sashnash

Seagull in East London
Feb 26, 2009
I really felt Slade should have played his strongest team, it was a good chance to get a victory by a few goals as Orient have been really poor of late. Winning would have lifted everybody, instead we've got a demoralising last minute loss.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Man for Man they are better.

Bennett - Better than Loft
Crofts - Better than Fraser
Dickinson - Better than Robinson
Tunnicliffe - Better than Lynch
J.Wright - Better than Mayo

It is taking time but we are playing much better football than last year. We are getting there but Rome was not built in a day!
You see this is where it gets down to opinions. About the only one where I agree with you 100% is Wright being better than Mayo. For the other eight they've all got their strengths and weaknesses and you can make cases for all of them - and we miss Owusu.

And if, just for the sake of argument, I accept that the current lot ARE better than the squad that finished last season, it is a major trusim of football that the best players don't necessarily make the best team, and sometimes an inferior player who can be relied on to 'do a job' is a better bet. (Heskey in the England team being a classic example)

Sorry, I don't want to sound negative, I'm not really!

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008
Some good posts here facing the real issues that were not good enough and losing is a habit that needs addressing.

I bet the optomists among you keep saying "Oh we'll win the next game" when we lose.

This streaky bacon cup is f***ing vital to team moral and is a chance to get back on the winning trail without dropping points in the league. So to suggest its a headache is just clueless. I guess some of you have never played the game and don't know whats required for team progression.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No doubt the same people who say its ok to lose and the game was pointless ( in a major competition for the lower leagues and a realistic Wembley trip ) are the ones who slagged off McGhee and still do for his defeatist attitude at Home to Stoke when WE WERE ALREADY RELEGATED.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can you imagine any other team is the football league with supporters celebrating their team losing another game. its utterley PATHETIIC and very worrying. Slade is under NO pressure and it seems 75% of the people on here would still want him as manager if he takes us to the Blue Square. I am concerned at the complacency and the assumption " stop moaning, it will all be ok " , iefinishing near mid table WOWWEE suck ambition.

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008
Your right of course uncle.

Im afraid that most comments on here are from fans that have never experienced/played the game at a reasonal level to understand what is required to progress.

Do you think Alex ferguson would want to lose a game. Even if he puts out an academy 11 in a carling cup game he would still go f***ing mental if they lost.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Its about building blocks and a win is a win which we could build on. Everyone keeps saying we are a better team than last year, which we may very well be. Having said that the wait for them to gel arrgument cuts no ice with me as every other team has new players and they seem to have got it together alot quicker than us. How much longer shall we give them, i dont know and im not calling for slades head yet, but.............. its not going well is it.

You've pretty much summed up how I feel about our progress this season-or more precisely, lack of. We need to start winning soon and winning regularly-losing every week is tiresome and pretty soon the crowds will start dwindling again. 2 wins and 7 defeats is not good no matter how you look at it. Interestingly, we are seeing an almost complete reversal of this stage last season. Even down to our interest in the 2 cup competitions.

I'm not wanting Slade out either but it would seem that some changes are required-exactly what I don't know, I'm merely a supporter but perhaps some new blood in the coaching department is the answer? Again, I'm not calling for White or Booker to go but we definitely need something to get us out of the doldrums-a few wins would be perfect for that.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
if its such crap and we dont take it seriously, why enter the bloody competition?

If we want a friendly, then dont expect people to go and watch them and charge for it.

For some peoplel it is an opportunity to watch the team under cover at a decent price and not too far to travel.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and can now see that quality of football we are playing. With some more cohesion within the back 5 (it comes with playing your best 5 regularly) we will do a lot better.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here