Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thameslink or Victoria?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
A nice big shiney one with wheels and seats and doors that go beep.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Underground Stations
Seven Sisters Station (Victoria Line), is within 20 mins walking distance or change on to WAGN line to White Hart Lane station. Alternatively change on to Bus Routes 149, 259 or 279, that operate directly to the Stadium, every 12 minutes (Mon-Sat daytime frequency).
Tottenham Hale Station (Victoria Line), is within 20 mins walking distance, or take a taxi from the taxi rank.

WAGN (over ground railway)
White Hart Lane Station (approximately 5 minutes walk). 'All Stations' services from Liverpool Street to Enfield Town and Cheshunt/Hertford East. (Providing a combined 15-minute frequency).
Northumberland Park Station (approximately 10 minutes walk). 'Main Line' services from Liverpool Street to Cheshunt/Broxbourne/Cambridge/Bishops Stortford/Stansted Airport and Hertford East (peaks only).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Repugnant Toad said:
Go to Victoria, take the Victoria line to Seven Sisters, walk 20 mins to the ground.

That's what I'm planning. Not so much asking for advice as just trying to assess how many will be using the trains, and which route...... Thameslink makes a lot of sense for that side of London, but they are shite!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Victoria, into the Stage Door for a few, then tube to Seven Sisters, take the walk to sober up. Besides, WHL train station is a nightmare before the game, after it becomes hell on earth. Why can't those people support their local teams?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If you get a Victoria Travelcard (£3 more than a Thameslink one) you can use Thameslink as well but not the other way round.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'll be going Victoria to Seven Sisters as well, might go on to White Hart Lane though perhaps not the last bit after reading superphil's comments.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've always done the Victoria / Seven Sisters route in the past.

Where do Thameslink go to that's useful, then? Presumably, just getting the Victoria line from Kings Cross?

If you arrive more than an hour before kick off, the train up to White Hart Lane probably isn't too bad, but can't say I've tried it. I also can't find any local Spurs "supporters" who actually know how to get to WHL, so they're no help!!

Last edited:

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Superphil said:
Besides, WHL train station is a nightmare before the game, after it becomes hell on earth. Why can't those people support their local teams?

WHL station is fine before the game. It can be a bit crowded at Seven Sisters but still far better than the walk. Those who say it's 20 minutes are walking very quickly. More like 25-30 mins for most normal people!

The queue to get back on to the platform after the game is quite long but the trains are very frequent on match days and you shouldn't have to wait more than 20 minutes. Which means you'll still get back to Seven Sisters and the Victoria line before the walkers.

And you won't be knackered either!

THFC

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Superphil said:
Why can't those people support their local teams?

Meant to reply to the above as well.

Answer is that 90% of people who live within walking distance of WHL can't afford to watch Spurs. With normal season ticket prices ranging between £550 and £1250, match day prices from £25 - £60 and Tottenham being one of the most deprived inner city areas in the country, it's hardly surprising that most Spurs fans attending matches live outside the area.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I've been advised by a Spurs fan that Seven Sisters overground and link to the underground is currently undergoing major redevelopment. Therefore you might need to plan a bit more time on your journey.

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Citrus said:
What is the pub by WHL station called again? Irish something...?

The pub next to WHL station (The Railway, I think) closed a couple of years ago.

I think you're referring to the Irish Centre, opposite the station and just off Pretoria Road. Not a pub but a social club.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Billy Seagull said:
I've been advised by a Spurs fan that Seven Sisters overground and link to the underground is currently undergoing major redevelopment. Therefore you might need to plan a bit more time on your journey.

I use that link everyday and as they are putting in a new escalator (which will take 18 months!) the exit to the overground station is closed and you have to use the High Road exit and walk around down the Seven Sisters Rd to re-enter the station and get the train.
Going on to Tottenham Hale and picking up a train to Northumberland Park (10 mins from WHL) might be a better option if you are using the Victoria Line. If you plan to use the overground train, it might be easiest to pick it up at Liverpool St, and have a few drinks in the pubs around there first, at least the trains stars there so you have a better chance of getting on them
and you get a choice of Northumberland Park or WHL trains.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Liverpool Street and main line to Bruce Grove on the Hertfordshire line 12 mins on train 5 min walk across the road to the ground.

Seven Sisters is a long walk especially if you have children with you.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Train to London Bridge...Weatherspoons at Liverpool Street.....drink...food...tube to WHL....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here