pikey shop

had sainmsibury's chiuckenwith honey glaze and two bottles of wine

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Starry said:
That's really sad :(
I am very fortunate, we are surrounded by farms who grow/slaughter all sorts of veggies, meats and there is a dairy. I struggle a little for fish because we are not near the coast but sometimes a local farm comes through.

I'm right on the coast and there are fisherman who sell their catch but I got a bit put off one morning when I saw a van delivering fish to a boat that was selling localy caught fish!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dave the Gaffer said:
dontr shop at trescos

pikey shop

had sainmsibury's chiuckenwith honey glaze and two bottles of wine

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Ther's nothing like a couple of bottles of wine to set off the fat finger syndrome on the keyboard. :lolol:

empire said:
:nono: any ready meal is clearly wrong,sure most can russle something better,trained or not.

I often cook, and rustle something up from scratch. I have even taken game and done the gutting, skinning, and everything from there up to the plate.
But for a nice flakey sliced steak with no gristle, in a red and white wine and cream sauce with mushrooms, and evidently no preservatives or colourings - all done and dusted and all I have to do is heat and boil some rice (or bake a potato/make a crepe/boil fettuccini/whatever) - then the living is easy and the result, oh so delicioso.

I'll use the butcher when I want a nice steak, or a roast - but there are times when it's great to have it be already done for me, and be good.

It might also be nice to fly over to Ceylon and China, cut some tea and blend it for myself too. For the time being, I'll accept the mighty brandname pack of tea bags :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I can only comment on the supermarkets local to where I live, the Tescos is absolutely crap...easily the worst in the whole town, Asda isn't too bad but is ironically not as good as it was before the place virtually doubled in size (their fish always looks good and fresh, far better than Sainsbury), Sainsbury is fine...though they often don't have enough check-outs open, the staff are very friendly and helpful.

You peeps are making sweeping judgements about supermarket chains. Not quite what the thread is about, but....oh well.
I wonder if anyone might just concede to the idea that.....just mayyyybeee they provide ONE decent and worthy product out of their hundreds of thousands of items?

Here's what might suit the way some of you are thinking; "hey, I just went to my LOCAL BUTCHER, and there I found this amazing product - BACON!! Waaaaah, try it everyone, BAAAACOOOONNN! It's amazing, delicioso !!"

Well? Does that work for your purist taste-buds ladies?

:p

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Starry said:
Some people don't want to make a choice.
From what I gather you don't work, you're full time job is caring for your family and that's fine, but for people who commute to work or work long hours then the supermarket is the only option. It's very easy to judge everyone else by your own privileged standards

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Tesco are liars.

I bought one of their wine boxes the other day ( 3 litres) and they said on the box that it will last 4 weeks.

How come it was gone in 3 nights then................ Bastards.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Billy the Fish said:
From what I gather you don't work, you're full time job is caring for your family and that's fine, but for people who commute to work or work long hours then the supermarket is the only option. It's very easy to judge everyone else by your own privileged standards

I do intend stay at home with the children. That doesn't mean I do the food shopping in this house though!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I shop almost exclusively at a supermarket, apart from a few veggies that I now grow myself, my comment about Tesco was based on their store in Gloucester which is poorly laid out and generally a bad place to shop...on the whole Tesco do supply a decent range of products and at a reasonable cost.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Starry said:
Nothing is right about Tesco, this programme tonight aside (I mean, apart from this not because of it), they are a horrid company.

Support your local grocer, butcher, dairy and get much better quality foods and service.

There isn't any in this town. If I want to go to an independant shop I have to travel to Seaford and pass two supermarkets to do it.
There is a farm shop about 7 miles away on the A27 and his prices are extortionate.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That is the problem, people rant on about using the smaller shops (butcher/baker/greengrocer) but when it comes to it the convenience of having everything under one roof wins the day.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Yorkie said:
There isn't any in this town. If I want to go to an independant shop I have to travel to Seaford and pass two supermarkets to do it.
There is a farm shop about 7 miles away on the A27 and his prices are extortionate.

That is really awful, we live out in farm land so have all sorts of farm shops etc around us, but my nearest 'town' still has it's own bakers, grocers etc. And now it's farmers market season as well we can get 80% of our food in one place at the weekend.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
For years I bought virtually everything from Tesco; we have one of their flagship stores nearby and it is convenient.

Recently I have started shopping online for the boring beans, bleach, bogroll stuff. This has given me more time to look to local shops, farm shops etc for fresh produce. Seems to be an improvement.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you should all get off your high horses about supermarkets. i'd wager very few would actually pay extra and take the time to wander down a high street to vist half a dozen shops for a weekly shop. if we did all go for locally produced organic produce the prices would soar as there isnt enough of that to go round. and remember who the shareholders are, they are each and every one of you with a pension fund.

that said the supermarkets have screwed over the farmers and driven many out of business. but we want the prices cheaper, so is our fault really.

Steak Diane... is tops, have it with chips from your local chippy :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gully said:
That is the problem, people rant on about using the smaller shops (butcher/baker/greengrocer) but when it comes to it the convenience of having everything under one roof wins the day.

No, it's not. It's the convenience of having shops open outside work hours. I do most of my shopping at the Open Market on Saturday, topping it up with stuff from a market near my work during the week.

But I can't buy everything from there so I have to pick up stuff on the way home from work sometimes, which means going to Sainsbury's. If there were an independent greengrocer and baker open after 6.30, I'd shop there. I buy about 90 percent of my food from outside supermarkets, so I'm doing OK.
One thing that there's particularly easy to buy in Brighton is wine though. There's no excuse for buying supermarket wine, we have a particularly rich selection of independent wine shops here.

What's particularly shocking is that Brighton is surrounded by acre after acre of farmland and miles of sea, and yet it's very difficult to buy anything local. Surely an indication that we've really screwed up food distribution in this country.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
As much as I would like to say I don't shop at Tescos. It is sadly sometimes a necessity. Shoreham is lucky in that we have a butcher, a small fruit and veg stall, as well as the farmers market once a month. Sadly our cheese shop has just closed. However when you're on a tight budget and you need washing powder and loo paper, and washing up liquid, etc. etc. then I can't afford to pay the corner store mans prices and I have to go to Tescos or Somerfields, neither of which I like.

I'd prefer to be able to shop at a Waitrose, and do so very occasionally going over to the one in Worthing. But I don't have a car so its only when I can borrow one.

I would however draw the line at buying ready "steak diane" from tescos, I know bloody well I can make it myself better, with meat from the local butcher...thats just lazy, not to mention selfish....

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Gwylan said:

What's particularly shocking is that Brighton is surrounded by acre after acre of farmland and miles of sea, and yet it's very difficult to buy anything local. Surely an indication that we've really screwed up food distribution in this country.

Yes - very good point!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here