Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco's Ginger card

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Bollocks.

I'll bet you Tesco DO NOT stock cards that are derisory about gay people or policemen.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I love the fact that she has chosen to traumatise her kids for a few quid out of Tesco, don't tell me that's not what she is after. If it was one of her little cherubs who had genuinely got upset at the sight of that card I really am astounded, they must get it at school & must be used to it ( hmmmm that sounds wrong but you know what I mean )
Anyway now the poor blighters are all over the f***ing place & being discussed on football messageboards at the other end of the country for fucks sake. They will now get crucified at school all for the chavvy mum to get a few quid & a possible "we're sorry" out of Tesco. FFS

Anyway when I was expecting my daughter 25 years ago I kept saying to her mum "I hope she ain't ginger" just for a giggle, she wasn't.

She has had 2 boyfriends ( she is a good girl.... I think! ) & both of them have had ginger hair & to add to it one of the lads was really, really curly so it was like a great big ginger afro, it's like she is getting me back in some weird ginger fetish sort of way.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Bollocks.

I'll bet you Tesco DO NOT stock cards that are derisory about gay people or policemen.

My local library does! Couched as "artistic and cutting edge humour" - but they do. Tried Tesco.com, but they don't sell cards online so I can't give you a suitable link.

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/gaygiftshop
Order of St. Nick Funny Christmas Cards and Alternative Greetings - Home

Even Hallmark take the mickey out of ugly people....Christmas card - Christmas Cards - Seasonal Cards - Funny Cards - Greeting Cards - Hallmark UK

So try and see the funny side, it's just an amusing Christmas card that some ugly old munter has taken "offence" to so that she gets five minutes of fame, she will probably appear on Jeremy Kyle to accuse three different ginger blokes of fathering her kids, and then she will swan off into the distance in her own personal cloud of piss-smelling fog.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
There are loads of hot gingers/redheads out there - nicole kidman, nicola from girls aloud to name 2. Can;t see why people make such abusive comments to be honest.

Isla Fisher is a personal favourite:

isla_fisher300.jpg

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Own argument f***ed in one easy movement. I can't believe all these people have come out of the woodwork about a card which takes the piss out of gingers! There are plenty of cards which take the piss out of old people, fat people, gays, policemen - in fact almost everyone conceivable target, and most of them are stocked in mainstream shops. This ginger munter wants her five minutes of fame for giving birth to three ginger, smelly circus freaks and has made a twat of herself. It's a card, it is actually quite funny, and I would also have laughed at a card which said that Santa was not overkeen on fat kids either, but possibly not a those with mental or physical deformity/deficiency jokes on.

Do you think she has broached the subject of Santa being the figment of a marketing imagination yet, or are her little red pixies still traumatised by the card? What compensation do you imagine she wants - three packs of hair dye could be a start.

As for Chappers reporting me - blow me! If I get a ban for laughing at gingers, then this board really has died the most incredible fascist death!

I think it was more for talking about gingers like they were freaks of nature rather than just "laughing" at them. Scares me to think that you are a teacher - presumably you tell the ginger scum freaks in your school what you think of them and that if they get bullied you tell them to "f*** off".

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

And yes, it is comparable to racism and homophobia because it is a prejudice based on something that cannot be controlled. .............

You're right in that it's a prejudice based on something that cannot be controlled. However, I know of no society where people have been denied equal rights, enslaved, imprisoned, lynched.......need I go on ?.......just because they have ginger hair. So hardly comparable is it.

The difficulty is that ultimately nearly all humour is at someones or somethings expense. Laughing at others has gone on since time immemorial. Even 'sick' humour has always been around and is probably a part of human society to stop us all going completely head mental over the sheer shittiness and brutality that life often throws up and that we just can't cope with - in short, it's a simple, if crude, coping device. It'll be a sad and extremely dull world the day all offensive humour is censored out of society completely.

Having said all that, I do think Tesco were probably ill advised to stock this card to be honest.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I'm not saying the plight of the redhead is the same of that of the black man BUT that it is just as much a form of prejudice as judging somebody based on their skin colour.

Mar 10, 2006
I just can't beleive that a company like Tesco have made such a cock up as this. I don't agree with all the PC nonsense that goes on these days but can understand why people have got upset - imagine the backlash if Santa had a black kiddie on his lap saying 'Santa likes everyone even black kids' - f*** me the world would have gone into meltdown by now and no doubt there would be calls by people to scrap christmas. If you can't take the piss out of one group of people why is it right to take it out of another.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I think it was more for talking about gingers like they were freaks of nature rather than just "laughing" at them. Scares me to think that you are a teacher - presumably you tell the ginger scum freaks in your school what you think of them and that if they get bullied you tell them to "f*** off".

I don't have ginger freaks in my class. I do the pre-course interviews so I send them to hair and beauty where they will at least stand a chance of being able to recover their sad existences. The course I lecture (not teach) is based around people developing backbones and a sense of their own self-worth, not to come crying to the papers or other media when someone mocks them. Some people, clearly, just need to grow some.

They are not freaks, just deviances from the norm, minor aberrations from what we have become used to. Of course, if I was Scottish then I would be more than happy to be surrounded by carrot tops. In the words of Phil Bishop, even if Elvis was genetically Scottish, do you think he would be as big as he was if that quiff had been ginger?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I just can't beleive that a company like Tesco have made such a cock up as this. I don't agree with all the PC nonsense that goes on these days but can understand why people have got upset - imagine the backlash if Santa had a black kiddie on his lap saying 'Santa likes everyone even black kids' - f*** me the world would have gone into meltdown by now and no doubt there would be calls by people to scrap christmas. If you can't take the piss out of one group of people why is it right to take it out of another.

So selling the sort of cards where you have a fat person on a set of scales, and the card says "one at a time please" is fine? If you cannot gently mock other groups then life becomes a litigation minefield of hurt and slighted feelings. If it is genuinely offensive, and we should all be able to distinguish between humour and offense, then that should be rightly stopped.

And Santa does NOT like black kids -if he did, then he would not have f***ed up Leon Knight's career.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Deviants and aberrations?

Sounds like somebody needs to go to tolerance camp

Mar 10, 2006
So selling the sort of cards where you have a fat person on a set of scales, and the card says "one at a time please" is fine? If you cannot gently mock other groups then life becomes a litigation minefield of hurt and slighted feelings. If it is genuinely offensive, and we should all be able to distinguish between humour and offense, then that should be rightly stopped.

And Santa does NOT like black kids -if he did, then he would not have f***ed up Leon Knight's career.

Unfortunately that is the world in which we now live - as I said I don't agree with it

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Deviants and aberrations?

Sounds like somebody needs to go to tolerance camp

I need to visit the bait shop. I am, according the right wingers on here, a handwringing lefty, but to the leftys I am a bit of a closet Nazi. I suppose I come somewhere in between unless I am in a shit stirring mood in which case I adopt a position where I feel that I can have most fun.

Fun is over now. She's ugly, she has abused her kids and made their lives a misery for the forseeable future for the sake of five minutes of fame, Tescos were a little bit stupid for stocking it but probably had no idea that it would become the story of the week and a bit of an internet sensation.

Clearly people should not be pigeonholed based on ANY physical characteristic, but perhaps some of the people on here who have got on their high horses should remember that the next time they are slagging someone off!

hoopy

Dec 15, 2009
I've come out of lurkdom for this!!!

I wonder if the letters had been rearranged to niggers if that would have been ok?

just wondering where people's personal lines are?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've come out of lurkdom for this!!!

I wonder if the letters had been rearranged to niggers if that would have been ok?

just wondering where people's personal lines are?

My (limited) understanding of genetics is that the differences determining hair colours is on a par with the differences in skin colours.

I think ginger hair is gorgeous, and find the negative prejudice rather childish - a bit like blonde jokes, not to be taken too seriously (but they shouldn't be intentionally offensive).

Racial prejudices do need to be taken seriously.

hoopy

Dec 15, 2009
My (limited) understanding of genetics is that the differences determining hair colours is on a par with the differences in skin colours.

I think ginger hair is gorgeous, and find the negative prejudice rather childish - a bit like blonde jokes, not to be taken too seriously (but they shouldn't be intentionally offensive).

Racial prejudices do need to be taken seriously.

hmmm i'm just interested to see the different schools of thought on this

so theres a general acceptance in uk society that it's ok to make jokes about ginger hair as its not too serious (i'd say this was fair assumption, as demonstrated by the card)

so is it ok to make jokes about race too?

i just find it really interesting where the line is for different people and how people are offended at people being offended. (not necessarily the poster I've quoted I'm talking generally here)

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I couldn't give a flying f*** about what Tescos stock.

What alarms me more is what people on here think it is acceptable to say "in jest" about aother person. Have you no respect, can you not see past the colour of someones hair or skin?

A joke is a joke, but there is no humour to be found in bigging yourself up whilst treading on someone else. Thats all it is - you have't anything in your sad little lives to feel good about so pick on someone for something as ridiculous as the colour of their hair. Hilarious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here