Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco's Ginger card

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well I don't count acronyms as words. I make a point of it.

I would venture to suggest that you take care when entering those 'In no more than ten words...' type competitions then.

You will be disqualified if you insist on applying such a misguided counting policy.

How disappointing, and foolhardy, to miss out on a years supply of whatever, for the sake of something as simple as including acronyms in your word count!

Merry Yule! :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3260017 said:
Dude - don't make me go and dig out that piccy of her with no make up on, first thing in the morning *shudders*
You'd still have a go on her.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
<Pedantry>In most contexts, where words are being counted, acronyms count as a word. </pedantry>

<Double pedantry>I would suggest that 'NSC' isn't actually an acronym anyway, merely an initialism.</Double pedantry>

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would venture to suggest that you take care when entering those 'In no more than ten words...' type competitions then.

You will be disqualified if you insist on applying such a misguided counting policy.

How disappointing, and foolhardy, to miss out on a years supply of whatever, for the sake of something as simple as including acronyms in your word count!

Merry Yule! :thumbsup:

Misguided it may be, but it is my own way, however small, of fighting back against the 'textspeak' generation which engulfs our literary prose. I would sooner thrust a Black & Decker cordless hedge trimmer down the front of my shorts and set it to "shred", than acknowledge BTW, LOL, NSC or ROFL as 'words'.
Oh, and Merry Crimbo back at you :)

Anyway. On with the binfest.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Misguided it may be, but it is my own way, however small, of fighting back against the 'textspeak' generation which engulfs our literary prose. I would sooner thrust a Black & Decker cordless hedge trimmer down the front of my shorts and set it to "shred", than acknowledge BTW, LOL, NSC or ROFL as 'words'.
Oh, and Merry Crimbo back at you :)

Anyway. On with the binfest.
So do you not count BBC as well? How about FA?

Or do you count NSC as three words?

Anyone going to second my nomination for GOLD?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
<Double pedantry>I would suggest that 'NSC' isn't actually an acronym anyway, merely an initialism.</Double pedantry>

<Triple pedantry>I would venture to suggest that all initialisms are, in fact, also acronyms, but not vice versa.</triple pedantry>

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
<Triple pedantry>I would venture to suggest that all initialisms are, in fact, also acronyms, but not vice versa.</triple pedantry>

I'd say it is 't other way around. In the classic definition of an acronym, the initialism should form something that can be pronounced as another word, like NATO or UNESCO. In the case of NSC, you have to spell it out - ENN-ESS-SEE - hence it is an initialism, but not an acronym.

Or something.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So do you not count BBC as well? How about FA?

Or do you count NSC as three words?

I think I have made my position clear. NONE of the above are words.

Didn't this finish 3 hours ago.

Send the thread to AU before some unfunny people RUIN it. :thumbsup:

Awww. Can't you drop a snidey PM (sorry, PRIVATE MESSAGE) to our Iberian chum, and crank it all up again ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

"Awww" is merely a noise made as an expression of disappointment.

Child: "Can we stop off at a Charlie Chalk pub on the way home ? I really want a sticky treacle pudding for my tea".
Dad: "No Eric, we can't. Your mother is cooking spam fritters and waffles tonight, and besides, you've got school tomorrow".
Child: "Awww".

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Child: "Can we stop off at a Charlie Chalk pub on the way home ? I really want a sticky treacle pudding for my tea".
Dad: "No Eric, we can't. Your mother is cooking spam fritters and waffles tonight, and besides, you've got school tomorrow".

My, oh my! What a cosmopolitan life you lead :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Eh? Charlie Chalk? bloody hell fella that dates you...Devils Dyke Pub had one of them approx 10 years ago...are they still about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here