Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terrible Sight Outisde Ground

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
All those involved should be commended for their attempts to preserve the poor man's dignity whilst doing all they could do resuscitate him. I thought the situation was remarkably well managed given the difficulties presented by things occurring in a place that thousands of people also needed to occupy.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Indeed. This was distressing not just for his family, but for all of us who are moved by the fact that life is not as secure as we'd like it to be.

But I'm not sure that a minute's silence is the right thing in this particular instance. Most of us didn't know the guy and have no personal thoughts about him that we wish to bring to mind during a public ceremony to mark his passing.

There are many ways to deal with death. Let's find another one to mark this particular occasion, rather than shoe-horn it into a format that was designed for quite different circumstances.

I'm with Ed on this one. Very sad indeed for the family and all of us who are part of the Albion 'family', our thoughts are with you.

But, there is a risk of a 'scouse factor' of whom it is said the black armband is designed into their kit.

PG

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP condolences to the family.
Sad day when one of "us" goes.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the thing is a few people have poo poo'ed this thread as we did not know the man but when you are greeted by the sight yesterday and can see what is going on you become involved in that plight in some small way. It is very sad the way it ended and I am sure we would all hope to end our days nice and warm at home not in the manner this poor chap did.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I too was making my way in as the poor soul was being worked on.

Very, very sad.

R.I.P. fellow Albion fan.

Jul 20, 2003
... It is very sad the way it ended and I am sure we would all hope to end our days nice and warm at home not in the manner this poor chap did.

not trying to be contraversial here but I disagree

If I could take walking along with my family, fully compus mentus one minute and dead the next that'd be fine - I'd like a bit more than 67 years but that would do.

I'd like my family to remember me as active, alert and happy; not moderately content and looking forwards to the next episode of countdown

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can only assume you were not there as to think it was a satisfactory way to go, not the way I would want , anyway the fact is the poor chap has passed away and as a fellow Albion fan I say lets win it Saturday for him.

A memoriam to all those who passed away whilst waiting for Falmer might be more appropriate.

Something I've been advocating for a long time-partly because my dad died 10 years ago in May and I'd like to think the club has a place for all of the mums and dads who died waiting to see our new home built.

Stanley, Bellotti and Archer have an awful lot to answer to, bought to mind by news of another Albion supporter lost whilst waiting.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
All those involved should be commended for their attempts to preserve the poor man's dignity whilst doing all they could do resuscitate him. I thought the situation was remarkably well managed given the difficulties presented by things occurring in a place that thousands of people also needed to occupy.

I would agree with that.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Saw it as well around 2.45 so sad he never made it..deepest condolences ti his family...he joins the blue/white army up above looking down now..

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
What an undignified way to go. I feel for his family - they have to go on with their lives and deal with it.

Whilst I agree that Brighton fans die all the time and in all sorts of circumstances, one of "our own" dying actually at the gates of Withdean isn't the norm.

My two bobs worth - not sure what a minutes silence would do really, but I think a whip round either to send some flowers from BHA Fans or for the family to donate to a suitable charity would be nice. And a little more in the pot from those who stopped to gawp would be a good way to salve the conscience.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I believe the traditional thing is not to have a minutes silence but for the Albion to send a representative to the funeral.

Vicar!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That would probably be the most appropriate response, a fitting tribute to have a player or representative from the club at the funeral for a man who was a loyal supporter and passed away on his way to a game, though the wishes of the family should certainly be considered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here