Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis & 'plastic' sports fans

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
The "Tiger Tim" days of "Henmania" were the pinnacle of any plastic supporting of any sport ever.

Put me off Wimbledon for life.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Puts you head and shoulders above the vast, vast majority of Tennis 'fans', I bet 90% of people watching Wimbledon in this country couldn't tell you what order the grand slams are played in.

BUT the same goes for golf majors or test match grounds or who were champions of the championship or league one last season, its the same with every sport so why should tennis get singled out

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
'tennis is the sport for people who don't like sport'

Sums it up perfectly.

My original post was slightly tongue in cheek by the way. Obviously I'm not gonna stop watching us because of new fans but I don't care as much about tennis so I can take it or leave it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Many people have other priorities than watching as much sport as possible every day. Does not stop them from enjoying what little sport they do watch. If that makes them plastic, then I am sure that they can live with it.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I only watch Tennis when I see Murray is playing and it is being televised on free view.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Sums it up perfectly.

My original post was slightly tongue in cheek by the way. Obviously I'm not gonna stop watching us because of new fans but I don't care as much about tennis so I can take it or leave it.

So what new fans are these then ??? are you suggesting that there are masses of new tennis fans this year or something.

I would say in your highlighted text you are confusing tennis with Darts or Snooker

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

Sums it up perfectly.

bollocks..i know of just as many 'football' fans who don't really like or know sport but watch football to get along with everyone and feel attached to a sport! i class myself as a sports fan and go to see as many live sporting events as i can and Tennis is one of my favourite sports to watch and play. maybe i'm in the minority but imo when ever Wimbledon,A football/rugby WC,Ryder Cup,Ashes,Gran Prix comes around it attracts more people who wouldn't usually watch the sport and it's nice for them to get involved

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've actually gone off tennis due to the irritation caused by the sheer volume of people who are usually non sports fans, who suddenly become huge tennis fans once a year.

What the hell is this all about!? Sports are the domain of sports fans, you can't just dip in and out.

Yes. Yes you can. You can dip into Wimbledon, The Ashes, The Grand National, The Euros, Darts from Lakeside, Snooker from the Crucible, Tour De France etc etc. The list is endless.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Can't stand it with people moaning every five minutes about plastic, tin-pot supporters and sports' fans. What's the big deal if someone takes an interest in tennis just because Andy Murray is doing well, or following Albion since we got a new stadium? Is there a prize for being long-time followers, a quiz to test your knowledge of Grand Slam tournaments or BHA miscellany? Get over it; there are so many more important things in life than people suddenly watching a game of tennis or football for the first time. If something as trivial as this makes you flustered and all irritable, you need to take a good long look at yourselves.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't stand it with people moaning every five minutes about plastic, tin-pot supporters and sports' fans. What's the big deal if someone takes an interest in tennis just because Andy Murray is doing well, or following Albion since we got a new stadium? Is there a prize for being long-time followers, a quiz to test your knowledge of Grand Slam tournaments or BHA miscellany? Get over it; there are so many more important things in life than people suddenly watching a game of tennis or football for the first time. If something as trivial as this makes you flustered and all irritable, you need to take a good long look at yourselves.

Top posting sir or madam :clap2:

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008

Again I was being tongue in cheek, please refer to my second post sweet pea.
I'm not flustered in the slightest, you on the other hand...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Again I was being tongue in cheek, please refer to my second post sweet pea.
I'm not flustered in the slightest, you on the other hand...

I didn't mean you, just pointing out that some people do feel angry whenever someone takes a passing interest in football / golf / rowing / cycling / tennis, and that it's a bit unnecessary. If England had got to the final of the Euros, most of the country would be waving the flag to support them. These sorts of things bring people, neighbours and friends together, those who might not have gone for a drink or had a party otherwise.

And I do see the irony :) It's just that I only registered six months ago, and so many of the threads I read are talking about plastic fans, and I'm just like "When will it end?" I know I haven't been the perfect Brighton supporter, so I just get angry and end up ranting whenever this topic is raised. I try to keep a neutral point of view on almost all other threads because I don't want to feel like I'm winding up some users, and if I offended anyone with my post above, I'm sorry, I was just letting off some steam.

How very true - we were all "plastics" once.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Put me down for a plastic curling fan, then. Don't know about you lot, but I'm quite overcome at that four-yearly, Winter Olympics bowls on ice spectacle. Who can fail to be moved by the sight of our very own grown men – and occasionally women – heroically, nay, frantically - rubbing those big roadsweeper brushes over the ice, so that their slithering stone whatchamacallit can secure the ultimate prize of a bronze for Team GB.

Makes me proud to be British. Just don't ask me the day after to explain the rules. Or the scoring. Or remember the names of the players. Or the sport.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
not digging, just wondered you felt this way?

I just find it more entertaining on a hard court. The rallys are more frequent than the constant serve and volley of wimbledon.

bollocks Wimbledon is better than the Aussie and US! Nadal v federer a few years back was simply the best tennis I have ever seen and still is to this very day.

I knew someone would come up with that!

It was indeed amazing and I watched the whole thing, but I see that as an exception to the rule. It was more about two players at the top of their games than conditions and surroundings. Watch any other bog standard match in the early rounds and hard court tennis is almost always more fun

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've actually gone off tennis due to the irritation caused by the sheer volume of people who are usually non sports fans, who suddenly become huge tennis fans once a year.

What the hell is this all about!? Sports are the domain of sports fans, you can't just dip in and out.

Does this strange phenomenon occurr in any other sports?

You actually let other people enjoying something spoil your enjoyment of it? Grow up

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would only get annoyed with "plastics" in any sport if they pretended to be an expert after watching 2 or 3 games. I fully admit I am a completely plastic fan when it comes to Tennis and Rugby, yet I would never talk with any authority on either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here