Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Wednesday

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
no mention of Vicente (then again, just for once, no-one asked a question about him).

I was just working my way back to being positive but he has pissed me right off again :(

Yeah. I HATE people who get injured. They're idiots. :facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
RIDICULOUS the amount of people leaving El Abd out. He has been PHENOMENAL for about 18 months now, whenever he's had the chance. Has to be him and Greer as first choice centre back pairing, now that Reyes and Mattock are back. That's the back 4.

El Abd is a better defender than Dunk right now.

For me, the only players who should always play when fit are:

Greer
El Abd
Bridcutt
Buckley (just, has the occasional poor game)
Vicente (obviously)

every other place is up for grabs.

Comedy OG apart, Dunk played better than El Abd on Sunday.

(He was however, SHOCKING, against Millwall...)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Comedy OG apart, Dunk played better than El Abd on Sunday.

(He was however, SHOCKING, against Millwall...)

El Abd was playing out of position, and did a fantastic number on Carroll, who wasn't getting a single sniff at set pieces.

El Abd's been practically the best player at the club over the last 18 months, consistency wise, barring only Bridcutt for me.

rockypaul

May 23, 2011
Heres my team for HULL, worth a punt

GK - Gonzalez
RB - Reyes
LB - Mattock
CB - Greer
CB - Elabd
CDM - Bridcutt
RM - Buckley
LM - LuaLua
CM - Razak
ST - Vokes
ST - CMS

Subs: Brezovan, Dunk, Noone, Vicente, Assulin

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yeah. I HATE people who get injured. They're idiots. :facepalm:

I think you have taken my point (that there was no mention of whether Vicente or Assulin might start) somewhat out of conext. I think you will struggle to find a post from me anywhere that is in any way critical of Vicente's struggle for fitness. FWIW I would play either of those two as the advanced midfielder with the other to come on as a planned substitute to keep up the pace and pressure. We might be marginally more vulnerable defensively but we might score more goals, which for me is key if we are to have any prospect of gatecrashing the play-off party. Unlike Gus (and a very downbeat Naylor I thought) I don't see a problem with trying for this season's play-offs and if by chance we won through then deal with the wholesale squad changes we would require (I'm no great believer in loyalty in football and players can go who aren't up to the leap - whether this summer or next makes no odds).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
El Abd was playing out of position, and did a fantastic number on Carroll, who wasn't getting a single sniff at set pieces.

El Abd's been practically the best player at the club over the last 18 months, consistency wise, barring only Bridcutt for me.

He did no more than okay. His shenanigans with Carroll were tedious, and probably played a part in the first goal, by breaking the concentration of others.

I like him, but he is definitely no more than on par with Dunk. Personally I'd rather have Dunk. El Abd is stronger, but Dunk is quicker, better carrying the ball, better passing the ball and better in the air. (Cue BensGrandad repeating his usual nonsense about Dunk being poor at heading)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He did no more than okay. His shenanigans with Carroll were tedious, and probably played a part in the first goal, by breaking the concentration of others.

I like him, but he is definitely no more than on par with Dunk. Personally I'd rather have Dunk. El Abd is stronger, but Dunk is quicker, better carrying the ball, better passing the ball and better in the air. (Cue BensGrandad repeating his usual nonsense about Dunk being poor at heading)

Did you find his "shenanigans" with Ben Arfa and Lambert earlier in the season tedious? Exactly the same thing, and kept both of those quality players quiet, as they were too preoccupied being frustrated by Adam tickling them.

Dunk better in the air is a RIDICULOUS statement. Adam is possibly the best at clearing headers in the entire Championship. Have you seen him? Absolute monster at heading away.

I think some people have gotten a bit ahead of themselves about Dunk. He's like a Greer Jnr, but nowhere near as good yet. He's ok on the ball, he's ok at passing, but nowhere near GG. El Abd is a different sort of defender, a John Terry to GG's Rio Ferdinand, and they complement each other perfectly.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dunk has BRAIN FARTS

El Abd DOESNT anymore.

Therefore El Abd STARTS and its whoever joins him and CENTRE back.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

GK - Gonzalez
RB - Reyes
LB - Mattock
CB - Greer
CB - Elabd
CDM - Bridcutt
RM - Buckley
LM - LuaLua
CM - Razak
ST - Vokes
ST - CMS

This.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you have taken my point (that there was no mention of whether Vicente or Assulin might start) somewhat out of conext. I think you will struggle to find a post from me anywhere that is in any way critical of Vicente's struggle for fitness. FWIW I would play either of those two as the advanced midfielder with the other to come on as a planned substitute to keep up the pace and pressure. We might be marginally more vulnerable defensively but we might score more goals, which for me is key if we are to have any prospect of gatecrashing the play-off party. Unlike Gus (and a very downbeat Naylor I thought) I don't see a problem with trying for this season's play-offs and if by chance we won through then deal with the wholesale squad changes we would require (I'm no great believer in loyalty in football and players can go who aren't up to the leap - whether this summer or next makes no odds).

Sorry - mistook you for one of the mongs who regularly have a go at Vicente for the crime of being injured. And yes, Naylor is a negative tit.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ankergren
Reyes
Greer
El-Abd
Mattock
Bridcutt
Razak
Sparrow
Buckley
CMS
Vokes

Subs:

Brez
Dunk
Barnes
KLL
Vincelot

I really hope Gus doesn't go with one striker as that would play into Hull's hands, we need to press them higher upfield from the start so would like to see CMS alongside Vokes.

Razak to start but not sure Assulin will make the bench ahead of either KLL or Nooney. If Assulin does get a run out then I can see KLL or Nooney feeling hard done by. Would be surprised (but not unhappy) to see Gus find room for JFC or Vicente for this game. Not sure Gus will drop Barnes so the whole thing is very hypothetical anyway. Given this will be the first run out for the Man C new boys plus the returning cup tied players I feel more optimistic than a couple of days ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did you find his "shenanigans" with Ben Arfa and Lambert earlier in the season tedious? .

Yes, yes I did.

Dunk better in the air is a RIDICULOUS statement.

No its not. El Abd is great at putting distance on the headers that he does win, but Dunk is better at getting his head on them.

Adam is possibly the best at clearing headers in the entire Championship.

Ridiculous. He's not in the same league as people like Sol Bamba.

Have you seen him?

No, I close my eyes whenever he touches the ball. What do you think?

I think some people have gotten a bit ahead of themselves about Dunk. He's like a Greer Jnr, but nowhere near as good yet. He's ok on the ball, he's ok at passing, but nowhere near GG. .

He is EXCEPTIONALLY calm on the ball, for a defender with his very limited senior experience. He carries the ball extremely well, and has the ability with the ball to look very much the centre-midfielder he started as.

El Abd is a different sort of defender, a John Terry to GG's Rio Ferdinand, and they complement each other perfectly.

This part I agree with. I think El Abd is a perfectly good Championship centre-back (I'd happily never see him at full back again in an Albion shirt) and equally as deserving of a place as Dunk right now. The only thing that is ridiculous is the suggestion that one is streets ahead of the other.

What is certain, is that Dunk has the potential to be very good indeed.

BHA96

May 4, 2009
HH
PB

G J-R
GG
A E-A
JM

LB
AR
MS
KLL
AB

CMS

Subs
CA
LD
GA
WB
SV

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes, yes I did.

He is EXCEPTIONALLY calm on the ball, for a defender with his very limited senior experience. He carries the ball extremely well, and has the ability with the ball to look very much the centre-midfielder he started as.

This part I agree with. I think El Abd is a perfectly good Championship centre-back (I'd happily never see him at full back again in an Albion shirt) and equally as deserving of a place as Dunk right now. The only thing that is ridiculous is the suggestion that one is streets ahead of the other.

Inspite of his OG Dunk got several positive comments from Lawro which was most unusual. Lawro has barely acknowledged our existence let alone dished out any praise in our direction in recent years - but then what would Lawro know about defending?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011

GK - Gonzalez
RB - Reyes
LB - Mattock
CB - Greer
CB - Elabd
CDM - Bridcutt
RM - Buckley
LM - LuaLua
CM - Razak
ST - Vokes
ST - CMS

Yeah like that looks good to me

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
What is clear from reading this thread, is that Gus has got a lovely selection headache!

I think the Man City boys will be on the bench at least, as for the team I think the midfield will be Bridders, Spaz and Navs, with Lua Lua and Barnes supporting Vokes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ankers back in goal..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, yes I did.

Well that's a bit daft, as they were HUGE factors in us winning both games.

No its not. El Abd is great at putting distance on the headers that he does win, but Dunk is better at getting his head on them.

Disagreed.

I'm sorry, he's just not THAT good yet. I've never seen him make any incisive passes, really. Nothing compared to Greer.

Yes. Potential. Agreed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Naylor has strongly hinted we'll see Ankergren back in goal tomorrow night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here