Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Villa

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A lot of people are showing a back four. Is this a preference for a formation change as I thought we played with a back 3 for most of this season?

Montoya-Webster-Dunk-Burn has been our back 4 for most of the season, occasionally with Alzate replacing Montoya or Duffy standing in for one of the CB's. We started the season with a 3 with March as a left wing-back but that didn't last long, and have sometimes changed to a back 3 during games; but otherwise Everton is the first time in a while I can remember us having an explicit back 3 (although it was effectively a 5 the way they pushed us back)

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Montoya-Webster-Dunk-Burn has been our back 4 for most of the season, occasionally with Alzate replacing Montoya or Duffy standing in for one of the CB's. We started the season with a 3 with March as a left wing-back but that didn't last long, and have sometimes changed to a back 3 during games; but otherwise Everton is the first time in a while I can remember us having an explicit back 3 (although it was effectively a 5 the way they pushed us back)

Thanks all. I'd forgotten about this analysis and the reminder of Burn's pivotal role.

https://footballbh.net/2019/10/21/graham-potter-at-brighton-2019-20-tactical-analysis-tactics/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, agree with this, and would add it that, although it looked pretty effective in the early games of the season (up until Burnley, when Potter changed the formation early on), it really didn't work at Everton. They dominated the middle of the park, accentuated by our 5-2-3 formation, with Bernard running the show. Potter waited until half-time to go to a back four, and things did improve thereafter.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
5 up front 5 at the back , Villa have no midfield so it's only fair we match them up .

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
With Mooy healthy again, makes guessing the line-up a little easier. Webster/Duffy is always the toughest choice followed closely by Bissouma/Alzate...

Ryan

Montoya - Duffy - Dunk - Bernardo

Propper - Alzate

Mooy

Jahanbakhsh - Maupay - Trossard

Subs -
Button
Webster
Stephens
Bissouma
Gross
Connoly