Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Stoke

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I havnt seen knight this season, but from what i have read on here he has been brought on a few times and changed games, or at least looked the most impressive player.
Surely he needs an extended run in the team now, give his confidence back and get back his scoring touch.
Surely a little man and a target man will be more effective than two big men.
Oh well we will see...

Set of Tracksuits said:
TWO target men, nice.

Not since the heady days of Cameron and Newhouse have we been treated to such excellent football.

You can take the sour approach you like, but the reality is this just shows the impact that Virgs has made as a striker that even with Mac's arrival, McGhee is still not prepared to retire him from the front line.

There is also the tactical question of Stoke's height.

We might play Leon in a 4-3-3 but you'll remember what happened the last time at Withdean we left our defence so unprotected by midfield, Crewe put 3 goals past us.

McGhee thinks defence is going to be the key thing to earning these 8 or 9 wins to keep us up. Given the nature of a relegation struggle where you will lose more games than you win, I think his strategy is fine. I'm not interested in glorious defeats, a few battling draws and ground-out 1-0 wins will do me fine.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That's what I was thinking but the link says otherwise and they're not usually wrong :down:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
London Irish said:
You can take the sour approach you like, but the reality is this just shows the impact that Virgs has made as a striker that even with Mac's arrival, McGhee is still not prepared to retire him from the front line.

There is also the tactical question of Stoke's height.

We might play Leon in a 4-3-3 but you'll remember what happened the last time at Withdean we left our defence so unprotected by midfield, Crewe put 3 goals past us.

McGhee thinks defence is going to be the key thing to earning these 8 or 9 wins to keep us up. Given the nature of a relegation struggle where you will lose more games than you win, I think his strategy is fine. I'm not interested in glorious defeats, a few battling draws and ground-out 1-0 wins will do me fine.

I was just being facetious really, I've written loads of posts supporting McGhee's direct style and preference for playing with a target man because it suits the players we have and is the only way that we can compete at this level.

I would prefer to see a big man/little man combination though, I think that works more effectively than having two target men because the smaller, more mobile player can feed off flick-ons and knock-downs in the box.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
McGhee's selections do baffle me from time to time. Now we have a target man who is actually a striker, why bother continuing with Virgo there? And why go on about how we need Leon to score goals when he's not being given the chance to do so?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I don't believe even McGhee would do this - Virgs will go to the back, Knight & McCammon up front. Would have been interesting to see what he would have done if Cullip was playing, though.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps it's because Stoke are the tallest team in the league. I'd have Knight to start though, and Virgs in Danny's place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only a fool. or London Irish, whats the difference would continue to play Virgo up front with Mr Give The Ball away Cullip out.

He apparently is not in the right frame of mind to play football is that the same as 'I couldn't give a f..k what happens' so long as I get my wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here