Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

team for stoke

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i would rather 3 points against plymouth and lose 4-0 at stoke.......but saying that ill get excited come saturday.

the above team will be the one.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Brez

Calderon
El Abd
Elphick
Painter

Bridcutt
Dicker
Sparrow

Bennett

Murruy
Barnes

If Wood is injured I'd go with this. However if he's fit I'd play him in the same formation we had at Watford, with the same team apart from bringing Bennett in for Sparrow. I would like to see:

Brezovan

Calderon
El Abd
Elphick
Painter

Bridcutt
Dicker
Bennett

Barnes
Murray
Wood

If Kish is back I would be tempted to play him for his experience and to give Bridcutt a rest, unfortunately I don't think he will be though.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
take our reserves- lose- get on with the league. We're not going to win even if we play our first team

THIS.
I was absolutely up for the games against Pompey and Watford and thoroughly enjoyed wacthing us play 2 Championship sides off the park BUT.............We are not going to win the cup and its now time to be realistic - do we really want to risk injury to our top players against a Stoke side committed to a physical approach ? Give Brez etc a chance to show how good they are. What was Battipiedi doing on the pitch y'day if not to prepare him for next weekend?

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
What was Battipiedi doing on the pitch y'day if not to prepare him for next weekend?

Sparrow and Kishishev were both out - that was the only reason he was in the squad.

I can't believe some people's attitude to the Cup - yes the league is far more important but it is rare that a Cup run hinders league form, it just gets highlighted when it does. We are one game - ONE GAME - from the quarter finals of the greatest cup competition in the world and some people want us to put out our reserves? Incredible.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Brezovan

Calderon
Elphick
Greer
Painter

Bennett
Kish/Bridcutt (If Kish is back)
Spaz

Wood
Barnes
Murray

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I'll just say it again incase people did not see. Chris Wood went off injured in the first half yesterday and we don't know what the extent of the injury is.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sparrow and Kishishev were both out - that was the only reason he was in the squad.

I can't believe some people's attitude to the Cup - yes the league is far more important but it is rare that a Cup run hinders league form, it just gets highlighted when it does. We are one game - ONE GAME - from the quarter finals of the greatest cup competition in the world and some people want us to put out our reserves? Incredible.

Absolutely agree. I'm astonished by some attitudes on here, we all know the league is more important but this is the FA cup, and realistically we do have a chance of beating stoke, you don't come all the way to the 5'th round and then just accept defeat, and I know Gus thinks the same.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Ankergren
2. Calderon (c)
3. Painter
4. Bridcutt
5. El-Abd
6. Elphick
7. Bennett
8. Dicker
9. Murray
10. Wood
11. Barnes

4-3-3

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Brezovan
Calderon - Greer - Elphick - Painter
Bennett - Bridcutt - Dicker
Murray - Wood - Barnes

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
what a dilema...!! can't really see us getting past this lot , they do however have an away game at emirates on weds so maybe nice mr.pulis will rest half of the team and give us a chance , no injuries and no extra time please..!!!

BREZ
CALDE
PAINTER
DUNK
ELPH
DICKER
BRIDCUTT
BENNETT
NOONE
BARNES
MUZZ

We can't play Noone

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Difficult one with CB. Assuming Elphick starts (only CB to have started every game in the Cup), it'll be between Greer & El-Abd again to fill the second slot. Greer has height on his side, which could well come in handy up against the likes of Jones & Carew, however with El-Abd's form and general performance this season, you'd fancy him to raise his game even further at Stoke. He's also partnered Elphick on many an occasion. In short, I really have no idea who Gus will go for.

Up-front and in midfield though, assuming Sparrow & Kish are both still out, and Wood recovers in time, the team picks itself at the moment.

Last edited:

henrytydeman99

Feb 13, 2011
anyone else think we should play our best 11? I don't buy the 'cup distraction' rubbish!? It's the FA cup, come on, one game away from quarter finals! brez, calderon, el-abd, greer, paint, bennett, dicker, brid, wood, muzz, barnes - 3 strikers has worked well for us so far in cup and on sat, why change this?

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Brezovan

Calderon
Elphick
Greer
Painter

Bennett
Kish/Bridcutt (If Kish is back)
Spaz

Wood
Barnes
Murray

This. El Abd would struggle in the air against Carew and Jones, Greer and Elphick at least have some aerial presence, will be interesting, hopefully we play our usual game and then we will see.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'll just say it again incase people did not see. Chris Wood went off injured in the first half yesterday and we don't know what the extent of the injury is.

If he hasn't been ruled out yet, there's no harm in choosing him is there!

BHAMAN

Dec 25, 2010
Shoreham
We don’t have to win the league by 10 points - 3 or 4 points will do. So, even if we do get distracted by the best FA cup run we’ve had for years, I think we can afford to.
Let’s go for it. Play our strongest team and enjoy a big party atmosphere.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
THIS.
I was absolutely up for the games against Pompey and Watford and thoroughly enjoyed wacthing us play 2 Championship sides off the park BUT.............We are not going to win the cup and its now time to be realistic - do we really want to risk injury to our top players against a Stoke side committed to a physical approach ? Give Brez etc a chance to show how good they are. What was Battipiedi doing on the pitch y'day if not to prepare him for next weekend?

PLEASE!
We are in the LAST SIXTEEN of the FA CUP!!
How anyone can want us to throw this game is utterly beyond me.
We have the squad and players to go to Stoke, and then beat a struggling Plymouth on Tuesday.
And I don't buy this injury nonsense- they're a physical team but so are many in our league.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
take our reserves- lose- get on with the league. We're not going to win even if we play our first team

If we go to Stoke and win, imagine what that would do for our self belief. What is the point of going with a second string team and losing mindset, as well as 3000 fans travelling 200 miles just to lose.

If we win on Saturday then the cup will only bring a further max of 3 games, and who knows what may happen. It is possible to do the "double" you know, and Gus will keep the focus on the league.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Best 11 should be played, bar possibly giving Brez and Elph a run out after playing well at Watford last round. Good way to keep them happy. In every other respect though we should be going all out for this. Reaching the quarter finals of the FA Cup would be huge feather in our cap and I really don't see why this would distract us from the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here