Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers' strike this week

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The NUT are holding a 24 hour strike on Thursday this week. It seems to have slipped under the radar this one, and I wonder if I'd known if my daughter was not at school now.

Another woe for Brown's brave new Britain?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
The NUT are holding a 24 hour strike on Thursday this week. It seems to have slipped under the radar this one, and I wonder if I'd known if my daughter was not at school now.

Another woe for Brown's brave new Britain?

Well, I know that I'm not going on thursday.

Letters at my school are going to be handed out tommorow though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting situation for the Mrs....its only the NUT who are calling this. The other unions are not supporting , but she has been told that she is not to take a class ( although she is qualified to do so).

This could also run and run!!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My mother is striking. Lazy, plain lazy. You wouldn't catch the French doing this sort of thing.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What are they striking about? not enough inset days? 3 months holiday a year not enough, or is it they want pay parity with Consultant Surgeons or something?

Just get on with it you moaning hippies.

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I'm a teacher. Got to work today at 7.40am. No tea breaks/lunch breaks all day. Finished work at 7pm. Will start planning, assessment, policy writing later at about 9pm. Will probably stop at about 11pm. This is a normal day. Will have a day off on Saturday. Will work about 4 hours on Sunday. Holidays are great, although I find myself working for longer and longer periods in them. Also these are the most expensive times to go on holiday - that's why I've had one foreign holiday in the last ten years. Inset days are not days off, we work bloody hard, although it's great to be able to work without the children being in school. Being a teacher is like being a political football - we do need time to get trained up on the latest government "initiative".

I'm a teacher because I love kids. I don't expect the same money as doctors, but I do expect my wages to be in line with inflation. I've been teaching for 16 years. I pity those who are just beginning their careers and can't afford to buy a house.

Bevendean Hillbilly - I'm afraid your ignorance of the teaching profession is laughable, although sadly typical.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What are they striking about? not enough inset days? 3 months holiday a year not enough, or is it they want pay parity with Consultant Surgeons or something?

Just get on with it you moaning hippies.

Its basically Pay!

They are trying to get the starting salary raised and in line with local government average.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Strange how so many schools are having inset days on friday. Makes it a nice long weekend for the whinging, lazy, good for nothings.

Unless you spend any time in or around schools you have no idea what a useless overpaid lot they really are. I`ve met a few good ones and they seem to be people who have spent some time in industry and they are quite often the first ones to say that a teachers lot is pretty damn good. The ones who have never left school .......................... well .

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I'm a teacher. Got to work today at 7.40am. No tea breaks/lunch breaks all day. Finished work at 7pm. Will start planning, assessment, policy writing later at about 9pm. Will probably stop at about 11pm. This is a normal day. Will have a day off on Saturday. Will work about 4 hours on Sunday. Holidays are great, although I find myself working for longer and longer periods in them. Also these are the most expensive times to go on holiday - that's why I've had one foreign holiday in the last ten years. Inset days are not days off, we work bloody hard, although it's great to be able to work without the children being in school. Being a teacher is like being a political football - we do need time to get trained up on the latest government "initiative".

I'm a teacher because I love kids. I don't expect the same money as doctors, but I do expect my wages to be in line with inflation. I've been teaching for 16 years. I pity those who are just beginning their careers and can't afford to buy a house.

Bevendean Hillbilly - I'm afraid your ignorance of the teaching profession is laughable, although sadly typical.

Having supported school staff and teachers for over 6 years in the public sector in a previous life I think I qualify to have an opinion and I can honestly say I have never dealt with such an arrogant and moaning bunch of 'professionals'. If you want to moan about your pay deals and terms and conditions then compare yourselves to nurses / NHS staff and then go take a running jump. :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here