Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers demand 10% pay rise in the middle of a recession

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
İbrahim Tatlıses;2894122 said:
The shit pay is why the quality of teachers in this country is so dire.

it doesnt help that governement sees fit to meddle and tinker with education every couple of years.

Exactly IT, I work with newly qualified teachers and they are paid f*** all. It'll take them 5 years to get to £25-27k, by which time in the current situation will be worth the same as what they earn now!

crap. in 5 years time, with increases inline with inflation, they will be getting the same. as already pointed out, many other professions and careers take many years (or more) to get to that pay. not already mentioned is as public sector, teachers will also be getting a tidy pension probably worth at least 10% more.

there are problems in education, this increase will do nothing to adress them and is just the union flexing its muscle. why doesnt it ask for better administrative facilities to allow teachers to actually teach?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Well become a teacher then, you seem to have the academic ability to become one.

But be warned, it aint all holiday's or 9.00am starts and 3.30pm finish, far from it.

I am NOT a teacher by the way and I accept that the public sector can feel pretty secure at the moment, but you aint gonna make your fortune.

During times of growth the wages are considerably lower than in any other comparative profession and that is why its conveniently called a vocation rather than a career.

I notice that vocation's seem to be primarily professions that employ women, funny that !!

It really means thats you are underpaid for your work and qualifications, whilst the predominatly male world of banking etc. has always seen itself as a profession and paid itself accordingly, funny that too eh !!

Firstly thank you, I would like to think I have the academic ability to become a teacher. However, I wouldn't want to be one, I don't know why but it just doesn't do it for me. I'd just like a job doing what I enjoy, which is journalism. And if it were to pay more than the salary of a street cleaner that would be a bonus too. This isn't really about me, it's about the NUT's absurd demands and threat to strike if they're not given a wildly disproportionate payrise in the middle of the biggest recession in 80 years.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Having been an electrician for most of my working life(and now being retired and very jealous of the money some sparks earn now) I did spend some time working in schools in and around Brighton, and you would'nt get me teaching in any school now for a 100% rise the kids have no respect for teachers or anyone for that matter.
I spent some of my working life as a prison officer in trade meaning working as an electrician but still having an eye on discipline and having the prisoners working with you and remembering I worked predominantly with long termers I would still rather be with them than some of the kids I have seen in the schools.
It seems that being a teacher these days means you also have to grow a very thick skin,good teachers deserve good pay

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Having been an electrician for most of my working life(and now being retired and very jealous of the money some sparks earn now) I did spend some time working in schools in and around Brighton, and you would'nt get me teaching in any school now for a 100% rise the kids have no respect for teachers or anyone for that matter.
I spent some of my working life as a prison officer in trade meaning working as an electrician but still having an eye on discipline and having the prisoners working with you and remembering I worked predominantly with long termers I would still rather be with them than some of the kids I have seen in the schools.
It seems that being a teacher these days means you also have to grow a very thick skin,good teachers deserve good pay

Its a valid point.

It is nearly impossible to compare any profession with teaching.

Yep it can be greatly rewarding, if not financially.

But the difference is having to deal with the children and their parents, which for a minority of families have zero respect for these professionals and impacts on us all.

Its demanding, draining and so often demoralising.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I work in the public sector. We have been offered a 0.5% pay increase for 09-10.

i work in the private sector and received 100% of f*** all.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Many, though not all, teachers work hard and are diligent. What gets me is that they (and especially the NUT) always seem to be complaining about how difficult the job is and how they are hard done by. A 10% pay demand is consistent with this. Get real. Wake up and smell the coffee. There is a recession on.

Two other points:

-Teachers receive very generous 'final salary' pensions which are guaranteed and worth a huge amount and likely to be a significant future liability to the taxpayer in general

-They have access to very flexible working arrangements which allow them to work the hours they like, more or less, in terms of half time, quarter time, 3 days per week etc. Early retirement is usually possible too (see pensions above).

PG

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But for over 15 years now my mate who is a jobbing builder ( albeit a good one ) has been raking in a significantly higher wage than my Son's primary school teacher, who is on less than £25,000 per annum.

That's incorrect.

A teacher with 15 years experience can't earn as little as £25k p.a.
Basic salary appears to be over £30k, excluding any "allowances".
After 15 years there is every possibility that a good teacher should be a head / deputy head of at least a department, which adds quite a bit. I know of teachers who have got this after just 2 - 3 years!

And someone else asked about primary school teachers. Yes, they are on the same pay scales and have very little to grumble about at all.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Teachers deserve a decent salary.

They already get a decent salary - £32,200 is the average for a UK classroom teacher. (source Gov stats)

And sombody also said thats it's time to sort nurses out also - they get an average £27000.(source Nursing Times)

Their professions are not anywhere near as badly paid as they make out to be. They should shut up or look for another job if their lifestyle goes beyond their means.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
You are wrong about the "cost of living rising stupidly" see National Statistics Online

Yes, a year ago and several years leading up to that but RPI is now at (or around) zero % - some prices are actually going down.

I've not been able to find work for 6 months (thank goodness I had some savings) and so a 10% increase is a dream for me, I'd be happy with a job. I took some time off over last summer to deliver Chance-2-Shine (bringing cricket back to state schools). Frankly, the kids in Yr7 & Yr8 offer a total lack of respect for their teachers and I would not wish to do that regularly.

Do primary school teachers get paid the same as secondary as, from my experience, the jobs are very different.

Are you sure about that Shropshire? I'm not sure what relevance the RPI has to everyday living but all i see is costs rising in every arena that people HAVE to spend in,ie food,utilities,petrol,insurance,bank charges and any item you buy that requires a natural resource.ok so there has been some cheap crap coming in from China that has driven prices down in certain areas but you cannot possibly think we get value for money in this country? Teachers deserve 10% more.(good luck bringing cricket back to schools)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's incorrect.

A teacher with 15 years experience can't earn as little as £25k p.a.
Basic salary appears to be over £30k, excluding any "allowances".
After 15 years there is every possibility that a good teacher should be a head / deputy head of at least a department, which adds quite a bit. I know of teachers who have got this after just 2 - 3 years!

And someone else asked about primary school teachers. Yes, they are on the same pay scales and have very little to grumble about at all.

I didn't say that a teacher that has been teaching for 15 year's is on that amount, I am sure it peaks at an amount of £30,000'sh before having to progress through that threshold with further responsibilities and work.

Basic salaries as average salaries do not tell the real story.

A Teacher will need to be teaching 7 years to achieve £30,000 salary outside London.

I said that the aformentioned builder and us within the private sector had enjoyed unprecedented finanancial growth for that period and teachers had not.

I think your view that primary school teachers have in someway an easier ride than say a teacher whom teaches an older age group is flawed.

Many Teachers would prefer to teach 14 year olds than say 8 year old's and the work rate and qualification needed are similar.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I didn't say that a teacher that has been teaching for 15 year's is on that amount,

Actually, you did! If you weren't comparing your mate with a teacher with the same experience, then it wasn't much of a comparison, was it?

I am sure it peaks at an amount of £30,000'sh before having to progress through that threshold with further responsibilities and work.

I looked it up before I posted. £30,148 outside London for basic scale.

Basic salaries as average salaries do not tell the real story.

A Teacher will need to be teaching 7 years to achieve £30,000 salary outside London.

Point 6 on the scale. Reached on the fifth anniversary of starting, surely?

I said that the aformentioned builder and us within the private sector had enjoyed unprecedented finanancial growth for that period and teachers had not.

Teachers have had increases in line with inflation. Most of us outside the public sector haven't done much better than that. I work in construction....

I think your view that primary school teachers have in someway an easier ride than say a teacher whom teaches an older age group is flawed.

In what way? I used to be married to a primary school teacher. Her sister was one too. Sister's husband could see it was cushy and has given up nursing to become a teacher.....

Bear in mind that primary kids are not such a physical threat as teenagers (though obviously parents can be intimidating), don't have the attitude, etc. The actual knowledge required of the subjects taught also doesn't need to be as detailed as secondary teachers (for example, my ex teaches kids how to use a computer, but is fecking useless at it herself).

Many Teachers would prefer to teach 14 year olds than say 8 year old's and the work rate and qualification needed are similar.

I'm sure I'd rather teach 14 year olds too, but only for my own sanity. Adults that spend too much time with young kids get very dull. Not sure what your point about "work rate" is, but I can also assure you that the ex worked many less hours than me, even during term time.

I don't really want to knock teachers in this thread, but I also will never accept the attitude that many seem to have that they somehow have a much harder job than the rest of us and therefore deserve more. There are some who put up with some pretty terrible stuff in deprived areas, but mostly it's not as bad as they all make out.

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
and someone else asked about primary school teachers. Yes, they are on the same pay scales and have very little to grumble about at all.

In terms of money? No, you are probably correct

But in other respects, they have their grumbles and issues just like other professions

10% is way too high, and only going to annoy the non-teaching profession...but don't be blinded by the 'long holidays' situation, a lot of work goes on outside of school hours and at weekends

The people who should be getting a 10-20% increase are the nurses. They can't strike like the Tube drivers and hold govt. to ransom

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
And sombody also said thats it's time to sort nurses out also - they get an average £27000.(source Nursing Times)

Their professions are not anywhere near as badly paid as they make out to be. They should shut up or look for another job if their lifestyle goes beyond their means.

Harsh :nono:

Do you know any nurses, in particular ones that work A&E who actually save lives and have to deal with the threat of attack from pissed up knobs every Friday and Saturday night?

Nurses, ambulance drivers, midwives, etc deserve double what they get for the service they provide

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here