Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tax Self Assessment: Bunch of Arse

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Saw the reminder adverts on TV so thought I would do the return tonight. Got together my P60, set of accounts, Tax Reference number, NI Number, expenses.

Went online and it asked me for a password that was sent to me last year. Coud not find it, so went to the 'lost password' section, and they don't email the passwords to you, even though I have a registered email address with the Revenue. Instead they post the passwords out, so will be a bit dicey as to whether it turns up on time to complete the return for Jan 31.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
but they are quick enough with the bloody reminders with the payment slip at the bottom arent they?!

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
I had exactly the same thing. Worse, by the time the new password arrived I'd lost my P60 and P111d. Erm, must get that filing sorted.

So am trying to cobble together the figures based upon payslips, bank statements and the previous year P111d. Bit narked that I have to do one of these when am PAYE anyway.....

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I agree El Pres. It's even worse if you've moved at all in the last millennium and had jobs with employers connected to different tax offices. I've moved house about 3 times since registering as self-employed, and then unregistering because I went full time.

I'm sure different bits of the Revenue think I live at all three places.

I don't mind paying the tax, but the revenue aren't half a bunch of tossers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I seem to have a far more cordial relationship with the Tax Office now.

Got a £300 refund last time and told I no longer need to self-assess as they are happy with my situation.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Do what I did this year, just used last year's return as a guide and amended the figures slightly, easy peasy, had it submitted by the end of June.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The calculations and even paying the tax I have no problem with as I have set the money aside to pay. The frustrating thing is going through so much red tape to submit the return online

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But tax returns are due on 6th April so Self employed people in effect have 9 months, P60's must be with employees by the end of May, that gives 8 months to fill in a return.

If you do it by September you don't even have to calculate anything (although the Revenue will probably get the calculation wrong if you let them do it)

As long as you don't have a liability they can't charge the £100 fine though, as its the maximum of £100 or your tax liability.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
El Presidente said:
The calculations and even paying the tax I have no problem with as I have set the money aside to pay. The frustrating thing is going through so much red tape to submit the return online

Get a local friendly accountant to sort it out for you......preferably not right on the deadline...you have had since 6 April !!:nono:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Auditor said:
Get a local friendly accountant to sort it out for you......preferably not right on the deadline...you have had since 6 April !!:nono:

I don't need an accountant. I'm salaried and pay-as-I-earn now. I only have to fill in about three boxes and I can copy all the details off my last P60.

But I've moved house a lot, and the last buggers haven't forwarded my mail which probably includes my new inland revenue online password. :angry:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I think it's 100 quid or a certain percentage of your tax liability, whichever is greater, gazwag.

Adam Hart "Tax doesn't have to be taxing" Davis?

He can f*** right off.

If the return is not at the revenue by 31/1 then its a maximum of £100 or your tax liability. Therefore if your liability as £60 your fine will be £60. Plus interest from 1st Feb. If it not in by the following 31/7 then its another fine.

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I think it's 100 quid or a certain percentage of your tax liability, whichever is greater, gazwag.

Adam Hart "Tax doesn't have to be taxing" Davis?

He can f*** right off.

Gazwag is right ..it max £100 or your liability .but continued late/no filing leads to more penalties eventually up to £60 a day !!:ohmy:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Auditor said:

I have all the documentation, and know a tiny bit about tax, if the Inland Revenue could send me an email with a password on top of the three other pieces of unique information I already have about my identity they could have my money in the post tonight.

As for accountants, trust them as far as I could throw them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Auditor said:
an Accountant then !!:lolol:

Only when applying for insurance or when out on the pull, just flash my ACA card at a filly and her knickers are around her ankles before you can say "embedded derivative"

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
El Presidente said:
Only when applying for insurance or when out on the pull, just flash my ACA card at a filly and her knickers are around her ankles before you can say "embedded derivative"

reminds me of that great (unintended) Institute slogan "Sleep easier with a Chartered Accountant":lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here