Taunting

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Taunting

bhafc99 said:
:shootself
Are you serious? This kind of banter is part of the game, and we would look like the biggest bunch of twats EVER if other clubs thought we were trying to get it outlawed.

It's nothing more than lighthearted teasing, and a world away from, say, making monkey noises at a black player. It's no different than, for example, us singing "You're Welsh and you know you are" at Bristol City fans in the JPT game.

Personally speaking, the only things that aren't on are racist abuse, and chants that cross the bounds of decency, such as taunting Liverpool over the Hillsborough dead.

Pretty much every club has something that opposition fans like to mock them for. This is ours - live with it. Preferably with good humour and a better riposte.
What he said.
Racist stuff is unacceptable, everything else is fair game and if it offends some people then all the better. Alot of people on this board seem to get highly offended by the homophobic stuff and that is just playing into the hands of the people who do it.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you do take it up the arse - then it is nothing more than a question - and not really taunting.

I always suspect that chant is aimed towards my fellow supporters (male and female) who do take it up the arse - and the question is not aimed at me at all.

Professor P

Oct 6, 2006
I take the point about racist chanting but, seriously, if someone calls you gay do you really want to go blubbing to teacher about it. Just chant something back for chrissake.

As someone so eloquently put it, 'its banter innit'.

Questions said:
We could start singing songs about Pakis ( as bad as them saying bumboys I would think ) when we go to - say Leicester - and certain away games.
Maybe a few songs about curries and corner shops.

Then we can do Jewish stuff if we are lucky enough to play Spurs again.

This quote and the twisted logic it contains just about sums you up. What you are basically saying is that if a bunch of bigoted idiots are being offensive, this gives you the green light to behave in the same idiotic and pathetic manner.
Would it not make more sense to rise above them instead of stooping to their level? Perhaps by responding with wit and intelligence?

(It is possible that you comments are sarcastic but judging you by your prvious posts I think it is unlikely.)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lokki 7 said:
This quote and the twisted logic it contains just about sums you up. What you are basically saying is that if a bunch of bigoted idiots are being offensive, this gives you the green light to behave in the same idiotic and pathetic manner.
Would it not make more sense to rise above them instead of stooping to their level? Perhaps by responding with wit and intelligence?

(It is possible that you comments are sarcastic but judging you by your prvious posts I think it is unlikely.)

Hmmm. The impression I get of our mate Questions, is that he is trying to be a little bit concilliatory right now. Certainly he WAS being sarcastic in that post. I imagine that he is feeling a little embarrassed about some of his earlier outpourings.

I also wonder if he isn't about 15?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
hans kraay fan club said:

I also wonder if he isn't about 15?

No he's not and he's alright, he sold me two West Ham tickets!

Commander said:
No he's not and he's alright, he sold me two West Ham tickets!

Oh, that's alright then. The Krays were lovely fellows too i heard. Ever so kind to their mum.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lokki 7 said:

that would be excellant , yet to hear that though

come and take it up the arse especially lacks wit and intelligence

Dougal said:
that would be excellant , yet to hear that though

come and take it up the arse especially lacks wit and intelligence

I was thinking more along the lines of "You're too ugly to be gay", for instance which has on occasion left opposing fans gob-smacked.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Trufflehound said:
I would pedantically point out that it's also usually spelt with the third 'o' in the right place: Opprobrious.

I would, but I can't be arsed.

Isn't "oproborius" also the common Latin term for most of Mozart's operas?

oh poo.:blush:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The whole "Brighton fans are gay!" thing gets right up my nose. However, the sad fact is that Brighton is a town with more that its fair share of faggots even at the highest levels in its Council so what can we expect? :nono:

Perhaps the new ground should be somewhere else in Sussex where the locals actually watch football for more than the players' legs and tight buns? :lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lokki 7 said:
Oh, that's alright then. The Krays were lovely fellows too i heard. Ever so kind to their mum.

Not sure he's quite in the same league as the Krays.

Lokki 7 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of "You're too ugly to be gay", for instance which has on occasion left opposing fans gob-smacked.

That's just a bollocks myth. It has never left opposition fans gobsmacked. Are you ever gobsmacked by any witty chanting by other fans? No. "You're too ugly to be gay" is OK, but it's not exactly genius, is it? It's mildly amusing. This reputation people seem to think we have for being witty etc is with ourselves, not with other fans.

Professor P

Oct 6, 2006
Albion Dan said:
The best thing to do is chant gay stuff back at them like "We can see you holding hands" etc. Worked a treat at Millwall.

Exactly.

I had an unpleasent afternoon in the home end for the league game and their only response once those chants from Brighton fans started was for Millwall to shout "shit shit shit" at their own team.

That said, their own team were indeed shit.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Commander said:
This reputation people seem to think we have for being witty etc is with ourselves, not with other fans.

Completely disagree with that. Whenever I've spoken to opposition fans, they love a lot of the stuff we have come out with over the last 10-15 years, largely because of the problems we've had, and nothing to do with gay chanting, but our reputation for originality goes before us.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
algie said:
So if i sat next to you and started a racist chant would you enjoy it?If not whats the difference?

Well if you aimed your racist chant at me I would find it equally amusing. I am as equally not racist as I am not gay.

Commander said:
Not sure he's quite in the same league as the Krays.

You think?

Commander said:

That's just a bollocks myth. It has never left opposition fans gobsmacked.

It did away at West Ham 2 years ago, shut them right up. It is something they don't expect and shows we have heard it all before and are just not bothered. I never said it was rocket science but is it not better then the suggested corner shop and paki jibes?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would far rather chant our team songs than taunt opposition fans.
It gets boring and I know Krispies and co. have been told to shut up with the gay stuff and get on with supporting the team.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lokki 7 said:

I think the silence is more to do with the fact the other fans are laughing AT us too much to come back with anything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here