Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taunting

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
'Oproborius' is spelt with two P's.

yeah but a small town up north is simular to any other small town up north-

whereas faggots dont really have any comparable counterparts.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
If we play Dumarton we can taunt them about being Pigeon Fanciers. I heard once that the Scottish HQ of Pigeon Fanciers is in Dumbarton.

The great thing is that they would not know we are minced up poofs and would not be able to taunt back.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Perry Milkins said:
If we play Dumarton we can taunt them about being Pigeon Fanciers. I heard once that the Scottish HQ of Pigeon Fanciers is in Dumbarton.

The great thing is that they would not know we are minced up poofs and would not be able to taunt back.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Questions said:
Should the FA try to outlaw the sort of gay taunting that Brighton fans have to listen to or is it all good fun.
:shootself
Are you serious? This kind of banter is part of the game, and we would look like the biggest bunch of twats EVER if other clubs thought we were trying to get it outlawed.

It's nothing more than lighthearted teasing, and a world away from, say, making monkey noises at a black player. It's no different than, for example, us singing "You're Welsh and you know you are" at Bristol City fans in the JPT game.

Personally speaking, the only things that aren't on are racist abuse, and chants that cross the bounds of decency, such as taunting Liverpool over the Hillsborough dead.

Pretty much every club has something that opposition fans like to mock them for. This is ours - live with it. Preferably with good humour and a better riposte.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Lammy said:
I quite enjoy the gay taunting. Is that wrong?

So if i sat next to you and started a racist chant would you enjoy it?If not whats the difference?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
bristolseagull said:

yeah but a small town up north is simular to any other small town up north-

whereas faggots dont really have any comparable counterparts.

Well spotted.:lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re: Re: Taunting

bhafc99 said:
Are you serious? This kind of banter is part of the game, and we would look like the biggest bunch of twats EVER if other clubs thought we were trying to get it outlawed.

It's nothing more than lighthearted teasing, and a world away from, say, making monkey noises at a black player. It's no different than, for example, us singing "You're Welsh and you know you are" at Bristol City fans in the JPT game.

Personally speaking, the only things that aren't on are racist abuse, and chants that cross the bounds of decency, such as taunting Liverpool over the Hillsborough dead.

Pretty much every club has something that opposition fans like to mock them for. This is ours - live with it. Preferably with good humour and a better riposte.

Spot on.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Perry Milkins said:
The spelling or the other point?

I could never spell proper.

:down:

The spelling mate.You tried to you flash words but came unstuck by a cider drinker(can i say that)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

bhafc99 said:

Whether you agree with it or not the FA is doing something about it.
http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=95546

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At last, some clout in the corridors of power. We're on the FA's homophobia advisory committee.

:jester:

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
algie said:
The spelling mate.You tried to you flash words but came unstuck by a cider drinker(can i say that)

you may f***ing NOT.

im back south now so dont really qualify as an apple head.

:)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

bhafc99 said:

The problem with it all, and the reason it will always be a grey area, is that by definition, something is only offensive, if it offends. That may sound obvious, but it actually means having a knowledge of the views of the offended party.

Obviously there are some very clear examples, like monkey chants, or throwing bananas at black players. It is universally accepted that a black person would be offended to be likened to a monkey, therefore these need no further discussion.

To take the other extreme, I would suspect that nobody from Chester would be genuinely offended, by a chant of 'You're Welsh, and you know you are'. It may get their backs up, but there is a difference.

With the gay chants, you have to ask, whether people are genuinely offended. As a straight man, I'm not offended personally, as I know it is a complete falsehood. They might as well sing to me that I'm Russian. However, given that the entire point of the chanting is that it is a bad and undesirable thing to be gay, then would a gay man in the crowd be offended?

Personally I'd be happy to laugh it off, but if others are GENUINELY offended [and not just out to prove a PC point] then I would back them in an attempt to stop it.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re: Re: Re: Taunting

hans kraay fan club said:

To take the other extreme, I would suspect that nobody from Chester would be genuinely offended, by a chant of 'You're Welsh, and you know you are'. It may get their backs up, but there is a difference.

With the gay chants, you have to ask, whether people are genuinely offended. As a straight man, I'm not offended personally, as I know it is a complete falsehood. They might as well sing to me that I'm Russian. However, given that the entire point of the chanting is that it is a bad and undesirable thing to be gay, then would a gay man in the crowd be offended?

So what about a Welsh man in the Chester crowd? What if he is offended? Like you say, the entire point of the chanting is that it is a bad and undesirable thing to be Welsh, then would a Welsh man in the crowd be offended?

I would like to think so. :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Taunting

Commander said:
So what about a Welsh man in the Chester crowd? What if he is offended? Like you say, the entire point of the chanting is that it is a bad and undesirable thing to be Welsh, then would a Welsh man in the crowd be offended?

I would like to think so. :lolol:

It's a fair point Commander.

In hindsight it would be better if nobody chanted anything at all, ever.

Can't see that catching on at Withdean.

Oh.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
dont think we should get it outlawed as abuse will then get worse and makes us look worse than we are .

Personally I would love it to be outlawed , I hate listening to fans ripping us because of our gay community + I equally hate our songs back which I dont really think win the battle of songs etc etc .

Thats my opinion anyway

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taunting

hans kraay fan club said:
It's a fair point Commander.

In hindsight it would be better if nobody chanted anything at all, ever.

Can't see that catching on at Withdean.

Oh.

:thumbsup:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
bristolseagull said:

I would pedantically point out that it's also usually spelt with the third 'o' in the right place: Opprobrious.

I would, but I can't be arsed.

Isn't "oproborius" also the common Latin term for most of Mozart's operas?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here