Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Why not. Would also assist against teams pressing to high. 1 decent ball over the top he would clearly out sprint any defenders. And if it stops then pressing we can work our way up the pitch and get him running the channels. Be like our own version of Michael Owen in the early years

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think Lamtey's best position is as wing back.

However Veltman is undroppable in my view, so when Tariq is fit we have to either .....

Not play him (bad plan)
Put one of them at left wing back (I can't see it)
Push Veltman into the back 3 (plausible whilst Webby is injured))
Veltman right back and Lamptey right wing (can't see us playing 4-4-2 regularly under GP)
Have Lamptey as one of the attacking 3 in a 4-3-3 (tempting given he can actually finish, see Spurs away game)

So we could be lining up something like ....

Sanchez
White Dunk Burn
Veltman Bissouma Gross Alzate
Lamptey Trossard
Maupay

More likely though is .....

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk White
Lamptey Bissouma Gross Burn
MacAllister Trossard
Maupay

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Lamptey has to play. He signed as a full back and played there for Chelsea Back 4 of Lamptey White Dunk and Veltman

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Personally I think Lamtey's best position is as wing back.

However Veltman is undroppable in my view, so when Tariq is fit we have to either .....

Not play him (bad plan)
Put one of them at left wing back (I can't see it)
Push Veltman into the back 3 (plausible whilst Webby is injured))
Veltman right back and Lamptey right wing (can't see us playing 4-4-2 regularly under GP)
Have Lamptey as one of the attacking 3 in a 4-3-3 (tempting given he can actually finish, see Spurs away game)

So we could be lining up something like ....

Sanchez
White Dunk Burn
Veltman Bissouma Gross Alzate
Lamptey Trossard
Maupay

More likely though is .....

Sanchez
Veltman Dunk White
Lamptey Bissouma Gross Burn
MacAllister Trossard
Maupay

Burn has to go. We cant be looking to play him wide left. Veltman will be much better

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Burn has to go. We cant be looking to play him wide left. Veltman will be much better

I'd be surprised if Veltman features at LWB ... but it's an option.
Irrespective, Burn will certainly be playing while Webby is injured and has a good chance of retaining a place somewhere in the XI even after this

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Irrespective, Burn will certainly be playing while Webby is injured and has a good chance of retaining a place somewhere in the XI even after this

Sure if he can play Burn and Alzate wide left he can play Veltman there

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is something I’ve been advocating for a while, Veltman the stronger defender and Lamptey has the speed and skill to unsettle any defender, it would mean the opposition would look to attack purely our left side though which already seems vulnerable.

It could be like the Bruno/Buckley right flank partnership all over again!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Right back, right wing back, left wing back, left winger, striker... I (nearly) couldnt care less as long as he returns to the pitch asap.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

I Bl00dy hope not. There is a calamity in him for every game. Webby fit should definitely mean Burn out.

I would even consider Karbownik now as LWB over BDB. Lamps fit should mean shift Veltman to RCB and drop BDB, playing Dunky and White to the left of Veltman in the other 2 CB positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think Karbownik is listed as a left back on at least a couple of stats sites, so as soon as he is up to speed he'll be an option.

Although his recent outing for the U23s was on the right.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think Karbownik is listed as a left back on at least a couple of stats sites, so as soon as he is up to speed he'll be an option.

You are right he is LWB or LB mainly. BDB isn’t IMHO. He should be 5th choice CB too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I Bl00dy hope not. There is a calamity in him for every game. Webby fit should definitely mean Burn out.

I would even consider Karbownik now as LWB over BDB. Lamps fit should mean shift Veltman to RCB and drop BDB, playing Dunky and White to the left of Veltman in the other 2 CB positions.

Possible.

But you're saying, that's what you would do. If the question, is, "from what we know of Graham Potter will he look to find a place for Burn?" The answer is a different one.

Agree that Karbownik must be in the conversation as well. He must know he's not jumping ahead of Veltman and Lamptey soon, so is surely working on reinventing himself, or at least honing his skills, at LWB

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Play Percy and tariq up front , that would give us pace and couldn’t be worse that the non scorers we have at moment

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You are right he is LWB or LB mainly. BDB isn’t IMHO. He should be 5th choice CB too.

Well... his agent, after saying Brighton got plans for Karbo, also said "he should return to his real position":

"Of course he should return to midfield. Its good he came into the Legia eleven and played there, but in the long run his future is not to the left. No good club buys a right footed player to have him play left back. Its okay he played to the left, but his positions are either right back or as a pendulum (def midfieler?) or as a number 8. His position will be defined in Brighton."

Karbo himself on his favorite position:
"Since I was a young kid I've played as midfielder. As time went on I've realised that the good of the team is the most important team. I will play where the manager tells me to."

In a different interview he says he is still learning the trade as a left back:
"I watched a lot of Achraf Hakimi because he is a right-footed player playing as left back for Borussia Dortmund and we are similar players, so I analyzed his performances. I watched how he behaves in attack and trying to copy his best actions into my own game. When it comes to defending, I'm learning more from my coaches.

Modern side defenders do not stick to their position. We see this with Trent Alexander-Arnold. I played in midfield to begin with, its my primary position, and I have midfield habits in my style. It has pros and cons, but it makes my game more varied."

Its not like it seems he is against playing left back, but its obviously not his "natural" position. He was just days from leaving on loan to the second tier in Poland when one of Legias left backs got injured and he played in the role for the very first time... obviously with success, but saying he is "mainly LB" when he's only played in the role since August 2019 - pretty much the same time BDB turned into LB. We'll see where young Karbo ends up, probably wont know until the summer.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well... his agent, after saying Brighton got plans for Karbo, also said "he should return to his real position":

"Of course he should return to midfield. Its good he came into the Legia eleven and played there, but in the long run his future is not to the left. No good club buys a right footed player to have him play left back. Its okay he played to the left, but his positions are either right back or as a pendulum (def midfieler?) or as a number 8. His position will be defined in Brighton."

Karbo himself on his favorite position:
"Since I was a young kid I've played as midfielder. As time went on I've realised that the good of the team is the most important team. I will play where the manager tells me to."

In a different interview he says he is still learning the trade as a left back:
"I watched a lot of Achraf Hakimi because he is a right-footed player playing as left back for Borussia Dortmund and we are similar players, so I analyzed his performances. I watched how he behaves in attack and trying to copy his best actions into my own game. When it comes to defending, I'm learning more from my coaches.

Modern side defenders do not stick to their position. We see this with Trent Alexander-Arnold. I played in midfield to begin with, its my primary position, and I have midfield habits in my style. It has pros and cons, but it makes my game more varied."

Its not like it seems he is against playing left back, but its obviously not his "natural" position. He was just days from leaving on loan to the second tier in Poland when one of Legias left backs got injured and he played in the role for the very first time... obviously with success, but saying he is "mainly LB" when he's only played in the role since August 2019 - pretty much the same time BDB turned into LB. We'll see where young Karbo ends up, probably wont know until the summer.

So just like Solly. He is not gonna get a start at RB or RWB or midfield with us IMHO, at least not without an injury crisis. But LWB is a current problem, so I can see him playing there TBH

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Possible.

But you're saying, that's what you would do. If the question, is, "from what we know of Graham Potter will he look to find a place for Burn?" The answer is a different one.

Agree that Karbownik must be in the conversation as well. He must know he's not jumping ahead of Veltman and Lamptey soon, so is surely working on reinventing himself, or at least honing his skills, at LWB

Yes Potter does seem to favour BDB even after he costs us points, but I am just giving my opinion, which is drop him ASAP

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well here we go.

Looks like Lamptey will be this Summer’s Ben White.

Arsenal fans, as you’d expect. Ever so graceful and humble. “It’s inevitable”:

[tweet]1367120556722692104[/tweet]

[tweet]1367170079394267139[/tweet]

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
So just like Solly. He is not gonna get a start at RB or RWB or midfield with us IMHO, at least not without an injury crisis. But LWB is a current problem, so I can see him playing there TBH

Hopefully will work out but why did we buy him when we have 2 players ahead of him and no left back

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The below is on the BBC rumours page thing this morning.

Arsenal are considering Brighton's England Under-21 defender Tariq Lamptey, 20, and Norwich's English full-back Max Aarons, 21, to replace Spain right-back Hector Bellerin, 25, who has been heavily linked with Paris St-Germain. (Sun)

They can consider him all they like ... they can't afford him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here