Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Taking your dog for a walk

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
I have to walk my dog 4 times a day as we have no garden. Have been stopped once by the local police, who checked where I lived and said carry on but don't stray too far from home. Been pissing down for the last three days here so easy to stay indoors. Keep safe everyone.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No link, but there was an A&E consultant on Victoria Darbishire who kept emphasising stay indoors, several times; great emphasis on 'indoors', not staying at home or anything like that. I've heard that phrase several times in the media lately though, gradually paying more and more attention - like everyone else with an underlying condition, I suppose - to what is being said. I guess we'll find out more when we get that letter that 1.5M of us are supposed to be getting!

Any link to advice against going into your own garden? That sounds like madness or else this virus is transmitted in ways that we haven’t been told about (as far as I’m aware)

I think 'stay at home' and 'stay indoors' is being conflated accidentally. Maybe because many city/town dwellers don't have gardens, and therefore the advise to 'stay at home' is the same as 'stay indoors' for them. The current NHS advice is: "You can use your garden, if you have one." https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
However, there are moments (and I’m talking literally moments) whereby I might be within two metres of another soul when I overtake someone on a footpath.
5B8D0689-C939-40B0-9C60-9DA58EC8B9B8.jpeg

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think 'stay at home' and 'stay indoors' is being conflated accidentally. Maybe because many city/town dwellers don't have gardens, and therefore the advise to 'stay at home' is the same as 'stay indoors' for them. The current NHS advice is: "You can use your garden, if you have one." https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/
Thanks for that. There's still unanswered questions though - there is no section there for 'If you have no symptoms and (as far as you know) haven't been in contact with anyone with the virus, but are in a vulnerable group'.
Even 'vulnerable group' seems to be open to interpretation. All through, COPD seems to have been on the list of lung problems making you vulnerable - but g to the government website - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ - scroll down to 'Who is at high risk?' - no mention of COPD!
If you then click on the link at 'Read the full advice on protecting yourself if you're at high risk from coronavirus on GOV.UK' just above then you find COPD is back on the list - but only 'severe COPD'.
So where does that leave people like me with very mild COPD? Guess I'll just have to wait and see if I'm one of the 1.5M who gets that letter!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had a lovely 2 hours out with the mutt today and stopped for several chats with other dog walkers. I even had a chat with a young girl who had taken her young puppies out. Everyone seemed chatty and really relaxed. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Dogs are wonderful. My dog WILL have a walk every day - even if shorter than usual and at a different time. The biggest problem is that HE doesn’t understand social distancing and still wants to sniff and/or play with other dogs!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dogs are wonderful. My dog WILL have a walk every day - even if shorter than usual and at a different time. The biggest problem is that HE doesn’t understand social distancing and still wants to sniff and/or play with other dogs!

As long as you don’t go up close and sniff other dog walkers you’ll be fine.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Would love to be still able to take my dog outside for a walk but sadly had to have him put down last Monday. Devasted and heartbroken in the household View attachment 121394View attachment 121395

God, I feel for you beyond bounds!

There is nothing I can say which helps and I can only sympathise with you for the loss of your beautiful black lab.

I look at my beautiful 7 year old working cocker as the clock runs down.

Will you look for another one ?

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
In due course yes (as can't imagine not having a dog in our lives) but need some time to enjoy the memories and great times as a family with him. It was all very sudden they found a tumour. Thankfully, there was no suffering and he was at home when put to sleep.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
In due course yes (as can't imagine not having a dog in our lives) but need some time to enjoy the memories and great times as a family with him. It was all very sudden they found a tumour. Thankfully, there was no suffering and he was at home when put to sleep.

I fully understand and hope that eventually you will be able to get over your devastating loss and contemplate bringing another ( perhaps rescue ) dog into your life.

When I acquired her, my dog was a sad and nervous 1 year old rescue and it has been so uplifting to see her now turn into a wonderful companion in her full glory.

Never forget the joy of the past but look forward to the possibilities of the future !

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Sound idea to adjust for a while and treasure the memories. We used to have three labs, now only the black one left. When we lost our second last September Mrs C said we should never have another as it was too painful when you lost one. The pain will ease. Just remember how lucky you both were to have each other. He looks a beautiful dog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here