Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking the 'paint pot' seriously yet?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is it only me who sees tomorrow night as a MASSIVE game?

We've ruined our league chances pretty much, a desperate hope of the play-offs is all we have.

It annoyed me to see "half-arsed" celebrations after the shoot out Borient win. Why is there more excitement about the FA Cup, when there's slim chance of getting a 'big draw' even if the club do reach the third round, and NO chance of winning it, yet now we're only 4 wins vs League 1 clubs from a trip to Wembley and a chance for some HUGE silverware?

Expect some SERIOUS pissed-offness from me if we balls up tomorrow night.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Section Quarter final? Long name, HUGE game. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I have to seriously question you as a football fan if you even think that JPT is more exciting than FAC. Firstly, history. Over 100 years of history with the FA Cup and is watched all around the world. The dream for us in our position is to get to the third round get a big draw and see if we can progress further. We have had two big away days in the FAC in the last 4 years. Secondly, I don't know about you but I have been lucky enough to see us in the FAC Final. Admittedly, when I started supporting the Albion I never expected that and at that was when we were in the 3rd tier of English Football. 7 yrs later we were in the Final.

I have no interest in the early rounds of the JPT but will, if we get there, go to the area final and hopefully Wembley. However, even if we do get there, I cannot see me getting more excited about winning that trophy than when I were watching us against against Spurs and only losing 2-1 to a Keane wonder goal.

Give me the FA Cup any day of the week and I suspect that would go for the majority of football fans in Leagues 1 and 2.

As for finance, I think someone suggested we could make £250k from winning the JPT. Well, get one of the big four away in the 3rd round and you can probably double that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As for finance, I think someone suggested we could make £250k from winning the JPT. Well, get one of the big four away in the 3rd round and you can probably double that.

And there would be 10 times the interest in getting tickets than a shitty Paint pot final in a half empty Wembley. Is it just those who have never seen the Albion at a high level who are getting excited about the JPT, or are there some older fans who are also gagging for a micky mouse cup final???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And there would be 10 times the interest in getting tickets than a shitty Paint pot final in a half empty Wembley. Is it just those who have never seen the Albion at a high level who are getting excited about the JPT, or are there some older fans who are also gagging for a micky mouse cup final???

I think your right there. Perhaps we should just count ourselves as the lucky ones!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the greatest draw for the young supporters of BHA is the fact of seeing them at Wembley irrespective of the tournament or opponents. I know that Ben cant go tonight, as with other games during school time, but he did ask me if we win and get to the area final or Wembley on a non school day will we go. You can guess the answer.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I think that the greatest draw for the young supporters of BHA is the fact of seeing them at Wembley irrespective of the tournament or opponents. I know that Ben cant go tonight, as with other games during school time, but he did ask me if we win and get to the area final or Wembley on a non school day will we go. You can guess the answer.

I don't know about you BG, but that is actually a pretty big draw for me as well, and I'm old enough to have seen us play at all the big grounds.

In many respects, The JPT is a bigger draw simply because we actually have a chance of winning it, unlike the other 2 cups where our main chance of 'glory' is a gallant defeat whilst pocketing a tidy share of the gate receipts.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I really like JPT games.
Its cheap, we usually do pretty well in it, and because I spend less time joining in with chants etc (because there arent any), I find myself watching the game more like a manager than a fan, it makes me more analytical of what is going on.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Being 16 i was obviously unable to go to the fa cup final in 83, and many other big grounds reguarly whilest the club was doing slightly better than it is now. Fair enough there was white heart lane, upton park, and millenium stadium. The J.P.T would be great to me obviously as a chance to go to wembley, but i still cannot get excited about the competition at the moment. I'd much rather get to say the third/fourth round of the F.A cup and get a top four club away than win the paint pot.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wouldn't say gagging for it but I'd rather go to Wembley than, errr, not. The chances of us doing anything else this season already seem minimal.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't say gagging for it but I'd rather go to Wembley than, errr, not. The chances of us doing anything else this season already seem minimal.

The chances of us getting to Wembley for the JPT are also minimal going on the last few seasons exits at a fairly late stage, but my enthusiasm may rise if we overcome Swindon and Shrewsbury. Both quite tall orders given our inconsistency this season. I guess a lot of my negativity comes down to my natural pessimism in expectation of Albion results at the moment although Leicester and Millwall prove that on our day we can be quite good.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
I think everyone knows the competition is a joke, so a 'day tripper' probably wouldn't want to pay out for a game in it, whether it's at Wembley or not. I'm sure there were a lot of these people at Cardiff, and I'm sure they didn't go to games the next season, but it was a play-off final with a lot riding on it.

I also don't buy this "but it's the new Wembley" argument. In the play off final, many people knew they would NEVER have another need to go to the Millennium Stadium so it was their one chance to see it. With Wembley, everyone's been to England games/other stuff already, so there is no novelty value in seeing Wembley. If you don't give a shit about the albion, you aren't going to see them in the JPT at Wembley - you'd spend the money on England v Ukraine in March!

Would you go?

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I would accually be abit pissed off if we lost tonight, i really want to do Shrewsbury away as it will be a new ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here