Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking the campaign to Lewes, 10 years to the day - 26 April at the Volunteer...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
roz said:
I thought it was owned by Punch Taverns. But that's not important right now. However, Lucy, who took the pub over a while back is absolutely SOUND.

The actual premises is owned by Punch Tavers but was leased to East West Taverns. When I got a job as a manager for my last pub it was with E W Tavs and I had my interview there about May 2001. It was then the busiest pub in Lewes by far. If it is now leased/managed by a BHA fan it should be even busier.

Shall have to try and make that evening.

Last edited:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
The Lewes Rebel Army used to drink at the Volunteer in the early 80's, although it wasn't our HQ. ;) :wave:

Might take a 1000 mile round trip back Darn Sarf if I can get time off work. :clap2: :blush: :angel:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lord Bracknell said:
Since that is the last weekend before the council elections the following Thursday, might I suggest that the answer should be ...

HUNDREDS of Albion supporters out campaigning for the Seagulls Party candidates.

Fair play. I will be there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
attila said:
Giraffe - we're standing candidates against them, which is probably the best way to worry them (legally...) and a good showing in their backyard, with attendant press coverage, will be a boost for the campaign. My personal views of what should be done to LDC go far further than that but do not accord with those of the club!!

Okay point well made and I'm not knocking what you are doing. Have just felt for a long time that some direct action is long overdue. Not saying anything illegal, just a few inconveniences for a few councillors. But I guess Attila performing in their backyard could just push them over the edge... :D

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sounds like this will be a night NOT to be missed.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just a shame that the Volly isn't exactly the sort of boozer where the enemy drink. They'll be round the Kings Head at a guess.
It would be great to have a night in their pub & really stick it up 'em!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
smudge said:
Just a shame that the Volly isn't exactly the sort of boozer where the enemy drink. They'll be round the Kings Head at a guess.
It would be great to have a night in their pub & really stick it up 'em!

Organised pub crawl starting in Falmer?

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Can one of the moderators please NAIL this to the perch (to stop it pushing up the daisies!)

Following consultation with the Dear Leader, who tells me that fundraising for the Seagulls Party during an election is illegal and will result in PURGES, proceeds will be going to the Falmer For All Campaign. This makes sense because following recent fundraisers (Race Night, John Peel Day gig to name but 2) the SP account is wll in the black, whereas the FFA account actually owes people money for campaign expenses.

Just to let you know.

Cheers J

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
lucys a swindon fan first then an albion fan i know was with her in the pub watching the play offs she was gutted when virgs got the winner suddenly went silent BLESS

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
NB! The Volunteer is not as it was before! It's under new management, run by an Albion fan (Lucy Crook) who some of you will know - she was at the last game, she and her friends have some seats and other memorabilia (which will be brought in on the night) and she is very keen to host this event

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
seagurn said:
NB! The Volunteer is not as it was before! It's under new management, run by an Albion fan (Lucy Crook) who some of you will know - she was at the last game, she and her friends have some seats and other memorabilia (which will be brought in on the night) and she is very keen to host this event

My God. With that and Harveys too I might actually cross the threshold for the first time in over 20 years when I'm down in Sussex over Easter. Lets face it, it used to be a right sh*thole.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How long has this Lucy been running the pub?

I spoke to a fruit machine company about another matter and the Volunteer came up in conversation and the owner of the company advised me against going in there because it has gone downhill drastically and become a shit hole and refuge for down and outs. He did say that that was about 6 months ago, and he thought that the person who ran it then had left. Things have probably changed by now but it was a very busy pub taking a lot of money about 2000/01.

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
As far as I can remember I think Lucy took over around October
last year. A lot of the dross have been cleared out.

I've just spent the weekend in Valencia with Lucy for Las Fallas
and she is very much looking forward to the night.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lewesian Seagull said:
As far as I can remember I think Lucy took over around October
last year. A lot of the dross have been cleared out.

I've just spent the weekend in Valencia with Lucy for Las Fallas
and she is very much looking forward to the night.

That would fall in line with what the fruit machine man said that the person who bought the lease from Trevor Baker let it go to rack and ruin and left after about 6 months.

Good luck to Lucy I hope that she brings the trade back up to what it was as it was a very lucrative business.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The previous landlady did indeed manage to create a no-go zone for anyone except the very dregs of the dregs and then compounded her spectacular failure to run the Volly by doing a runner leaving all the chaos behind her.

So three cheers to Lucy for taking on one of the most difficult pubs in the town. She's done a brilliant job and really deserves our support.

(And next year I really will get to Valencia too!!!)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
roz said:
The previous landlady did indeed manage to create a no-go zone for anyone except the very dregs of the dregs and then compounded her spectacular failure to run the Volly by doing a runner leaving all the chaos behind her.

So three cheers to Lucy for taking on one of the most difficult pubs in the town. She's done a brilliant job and really deserves our support.

(And next year I really will get to Valencia too!!!)

I echo your views it is the easiest job in the world to go into a pub that has a good reputation and takes good money all you have to do is follow the same guidlines and run it the same way as has proved to be successful.

It is a totally different story going into a pub that was good and has let the shit in and you have to try to remove them and get the place back to a reasonable standard so good luck to her.

As Roz says if we as a fellow Bha supporters can help then we should. If you are just visiting Lewes and fancy a beer where any pub is a pub for a beer choose The Volunteer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here