Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking a baby to the Amex

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I loved Noddy as a kid. Very un-PC though. I had a book where the golliwogs stole Noddy's clothes and left him naked and crying in the woods. They used to kidnap Big Ears regularly as well.

Not anymore though. It's about the most PC program there is although Big ears is still there. Noddy has an annoying voice with sad mates who always triumphs over 2 X goblins who play naff tricks. No-one has been stripped naked anyway.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I'm sure she did and I'm sure she was perfectly well behaved, but if I'm honest it would affect my ability to jump to my feet, swear at the ref, go mental at a goal etc as I'd always be very conscious that there was a small baby on someone's lap next to me. Babies are very difficult to ignore. If you have friends or family each side than that's probably easier.

true! It was a one off for last home game of season. I wouldn't do it all the time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My eldest went to his first game at 7 weeks ( a defeat at home to Doncaster Rovers) and apart from being near Richie Morris I dont think it harmed him. He didnt go again until I moved to the family stand and has been going ever since (just about to start his 4th season as a season ticket holder)

My second didnt go until he was nearly two (home to FCUM). he has a season ticket for the first year at the amex

I think if you are in the family stand then you have more chance of passing it off okay

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sounds like a bad idea to me. The BOOMING tannoy, the noise of the crowd, the sudden ROAR and bedlam all around when we score.

Thats no place for a baby. And I would be horrified if I had one next to me every game, it would severely inhibit my matchday behaviour. I'd have to be SENSIBLE for christs sake.

Plus can you imagine getting up to go for a piss or get yourself a pie. "Oh do you HAVE to ? I've only just got him off..."

Nightmare.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would have thought the football would be the perfect excuse to get away from your offspring for a few precious hours.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Quick question for you all.

At the end of June this year my wife will be giving birth to our first baby (exciting times!). She's enjoyed coming to the Amex with me a lot this year (she couldn't stand Withdean) but has said that once the baby is with us, she's unlikely to come back until he's a lot older.

That said, I'm thinking of going 1901 for the next season, so I'm wondering - does anyone bring babies or very very young children to the match? I'm wondering if the slightly more civil surroundings of hospitality would make it feasible, especially the basics such as leaving a pushchair in reception so he can be put in a carry cot. Or is this a ridiculous idea?

Cheers in advance. :)

Our first was born last January (2011) & I had all the intention of taking him (just like yourself) but when reality hit with all the stuff you will need to take & how unfair it would be to everyone else I changed my mind. I have purchased a ST for my son for next season & he will be 20 months old when the season starts but I only intend to take him at the tail end of the season (I have mates that will upgrade his ticket every match so there is a bum on the seat.... before I get a NSC grilling). All the best comedy Steve & I hope one day your little'un runs on the pitch as a mascot :)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Our first was born last January (2011) & I had all the intention of taking him (just like yourself) but when reality hit with all the stuff you will need to take & how unfair it would be to everyone else I changed my mind. I have purchased a ST for my son for next season & he will be 20 months old when the season starts but I only intend to take him at the tail end of the season (I have mates that will upgrade his ticket every match so there is a bum on the seat.... before I get a NSC grilling). All the best comedy Steve & I hope one day your little'un runs on the pitch as a mascot :)

I posted a similar question about a year ago, see thread below with poll results -

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?195401-Taking-a-baby-to-Amex

After our little one was born, I realised there was no way we could take him to a football match - he was an awful sleeper during the day and very grizzly for the first few months. Now he'd get far too bored sitting still for more than 2 seconds (10 months old now).

Have to say though, some babies I meet (as a paediatrician) sleep incredibly well early on and will sleep through pretty much anything with a full stomach - I'd wait and see what you end up with.

Sam

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
In the train queue after the Burnley game I saw a couple with a young one carrying the baby in a Bjorn carrier type thing, must have been around 6 months old. They also had a 2/3 year old with them decked out in replica kit which is nice to see. Both very well behaved and didn't seem upset or put off by the crowds and noise. However as a father of 2 children of similar age my first thought was they were brave but mad. It wouldn't bother me having babies or kids next to me at the match even if they are making noise as i find it very easy to ignore children that i'm not responsible for but i don't think its something i would choose to do personally (maybe for a one off but certainly not regularly) as i enjoy the odd beer with the footy. But again i do think its nice to be able to share your enjoyment with the kids and would only admire people who want to take their young ones with them

Albion Rob

Personally I think the club is missing a trick by not offering a creche. I almost posted it on Ask The Club. I know for a fact it would be far easier for me to get to the football if I could drop my 18 month old at a club creche and pick him up after the game. Wife gets a break from kids, I get my football fix, job done.

Cracking idea - would have made it much less of a battle for me to renew for next season (I have but on the condition that I go to hardly any Saturday away games). To be fair, when the nipper came along I didn't like the thought of working all week and then not seeing her on a Saturday either so it's no problem - the Amex is only four hours out of my Saturday really.

I think I'll probably wait until she is old enough to ask to come with me before I take her to a game. However there are things I'm doing in the meantime to indoctrinate her, including making a point of taking her shopping in her replica shirt every Saturday.

I love the way sitting next to a baby is so offensive to some, meanwhile it's perfectly acceptable to be sat next to some pissed arsehole stinking of BO that spends the entire match jumping up and down everytime we string a pass together while calling the ref/the opposing team/the away fans/Ashley Barnes a c**t

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I've got an 8 month old. I wouldn't take her to a game. NO WAY. Before she was born I remember saying to my wife (when we were debating going in on a couple of season tickets last year with my sister and her boyfriend) that it would be ok and we'd be able to go to some games etc etc. I don't think a baby is robust enough to be in that kind of environment before they are at least 8 months, the queues, changing the baby, leaving and getting to the AMEX, feeding on demand, the time it takes to do everything with a new born & pretty much for the first 4 months...its hard, especially if you are working full time and tired out.

I'd suggest you get 1 season ticket and take turns to go with friends or something similar.

Good luck

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It sounds like bad idea. Think of the person who has paid for a ticket who gets to their seat to find out they are sitting next to a baby. For a start the baby will cry at some point which will really annoy the people around you. And anyone around you will feel like they have to act differently then usual. People will feel bad about doing things like shout at the ref. Plus have you thought about how you celebrate when we score a goal. Not the best idea to leap up with your hands in the air whilst you are holding a baby.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Sadly with all the best will and intention in the world, there are just somethings you can't do when they are little. Sit still and watch a game of football for 90 minutes without interuption is nigh on impossible, unless its the highly unlikely situation where they sleep through every game. I agree with Lush above - you may actually look forward to it as a little peace and quiet (yes really! :lol:) and rest from hard work at home.

Havng said that we've taken Arthur racing since he was 8 weeks old, but theres a big difference, we could put ear defenders on him, if he got hungry and had a cry I could pram off somewhere else and sort him out, we had a motorhome / camper in the paddock which we could escape to so we didn't piss anyone else off and usually I could still see Joe racing from in the camper....I can't think of any of those scenarios you could meet at a football stadium, unless they had a creche with a viewing window....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cracking idea - would have made it much less of a battle for me to renew for next season (I have but on the condition that I go to hardly any Saturday away games). To be fair, when the nipper came along I didn't like the thought of working all week and then not seeing her on a Saturday either so it's no problem - the Amex is only four hours out of my Saturday really.
I'm the same actually. I too have renewed, on the condition that I barely go to any Saturday games. Actually I know of at least two others in the same boat, including one of my brothers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here