Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking a baby to the Amex

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
:lol:
As someone with 2 boys, trust me on this. Re-new your season ticket, have a few hours peace and quiet away from your family for a few hours a week and bring them to a game not before they are 4. I love my family above everything else but I also love to get away from it all every now and then to keep me sane. If nothing else to think about John Harley's workrate rather than Peppa Pig (you will know them intimately soon)

Also, you simply wont beleive how difficult it is to go anywhere or do anything (Push chair, check, nappies, check, change mat, check, Nappy bag, check, Toys, check, Teething ring, check etc etc), so getting to the football will be a military operation and most importantly you won't enjoy it.

With any luck, your wife will breast feed meaning 'I may as well go to the football love'

I've got 3 kids but I've never heard of John Harley? Now Peppa Pig..........don't get me started :moo:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Quick question for you all.

At the end of June this year my wife will be giving birth to our first baby (exciting times!). She's enjoyed coming to the Amex with me a lot this year (she couldn't stand Withdean) but has said that once the baby is with us, she's unlikely to come back until he's a lot older.

That said, I'm thinking of going 1901 for the next season, so I'm wondering - does anyone bring babies or very very young children to the match? I'm wondering if the slightly more civil surroundings of hospitality would make it feasible, especially the basics such as leaving a pushchair in reception so he can be put in a carry cot. Or is this a ridiculous idea?

Cheers in advance. :)

Sorry and all but, perhaps thinking a little about how others might feel about a crying, potentially poo stinking, puking baby next to them at football. Maybe THAT would be the right thing to do, instead of how you might get what YOU want?

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Sorry and all but, perhaps thinking a little about how others might feel about a crying, potentially poo stinking, puking baby next to them at football. Maybe THAT would be the right thing to do, instead of how you might get what YOU want?
Phenomenal! 21 replies until a cunty answer. NSC is getting soft in its old age.

I asked if it was a good idea or not, I didn't say I was doing it regardless of people around me, and naturally if I felt a crying baby would wake you up, or the smell of faeces might drown out your BO, I would naturally take the baby back inside so as to not derail your matchday experience.

here's to buck the trend and add my experience (for the 742nd time on here on this subject) I took Little Jack to Withdean when he was 7 weeks old, Three years on I look back on it as my greatest moment so far as his father, admittedly the conditions were perfect, the sun was shining and he slept a lot (Stockport last match of season) We had plenty of photos taken and ended up The Argus and in last seasons Swindon prog. It wa(s a trouble free experience for me, the boy and our neighbours, the 'problems' arise when they get older (12 - 18 months) when they fidgit, grizzle etc, so we had a bit of a break, it's not without it's drama's, leaving early, misiing the odd kick off etc, the FS is great for him and we've renewed, so come August it'll phisically be his FIFTH season of going to the match not bad for someone who was only 3 in March!, I don't regret a minute, the worst that can happen is you have to leave at five past three, go for it, good luck!

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Take the little'un up during the summer just to get some snaps with him/her inside the stadium but as a father of a 2 year old boy, definetly do not take the baby to a game.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Phenomenal! 21 replies until a cunty answer. NSC is getting soft in its old age.

I asked if it was a good idea or not, I didn't say I was doing it regardless of people around me, and naturally if I felt a crying baby would wake you up, or the smell of faeces might drown out your BO, I would naturally take the baby back inside so as to not derail your matchday experience.

No need to swear! Have a nice day now............:D

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
because you can't always get a babysitter ?? My10 month old loved it!

In which case you can't go. Unfortunately having a child does mean making sacrifices, rather than expecting everyone else to put up with your offspring. By the way, I'm not suggesting you are guilty of being inconsiderate to other people but there's definetely a trend now which says "oh I want to do this so my kids will have to come" - see also kids being kept up late in pubs/restaurants or kids being taken to films which aren't appropriate for them at the cinema.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I think the club is missing a trick by not offering a creche. I almost posted it on Ask The Club. I know for a fact it would be far easier for me to get to the football if I could drop my 18 month old at a club creche and pick him up after the game. Wife gets a break from kids, I get my football fix, job done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's not a cunty answer. It's a point of view that doesn't fit your situation and isn't what you want to hear. You start a thread asking about taking a baby to the football, he replies "not near me thanks" and gives his reasons.

Personally fair if you ask me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
because you can't always get a babysitter ?? My10 month old loved it!

I think it's unfair on other supporters though. Whenver babies are involved there is always crying and a fuss. You only have to go into a child friendly cafe to see why what I mean. I went to Revitalise a while back, which is supposed to be a relaxing cafe in Hove which does massages and stuff. But, it happened to be mothers morning and it was one of the most horrific and terrifying scenes I have ever felt or witnessed. I was quietly trying to check my emails and I had babies wailing, mothers fussing and kids crawling around under my chair and tugging at my power cable. I am mentally scarred forever and have never been the same since. And then there is the equipment they bring with them. All manner of shit to transport and entertain the annoying needy little fuckers.

I think 4 is a suitable age, then the baby/child will be the right mental age to join in with most other supporters.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
:lol:

I've got 3 kids but I've never heard of John Harley? Now Peppa Pig..........don't get me started :moo:

If I watch the episode where Daddy Pigs computer breaks once more, I may go insane. That said, I'd like to punch Noddy in the face. The smug, floppy hat wearing dullard.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
In which case you can't go. Unfortunately having a child does mean making sacrifices, rather than expecting everyone else to put up with your offspring. By the way, I'm not suggesting you are guilty of being inconsiderate to other people but there's definetely a trend now which says "oh I want to do this so my kids will have to come" - see also kids being kept up late in pubs/restaurants or kids being taken to films which aren't appropriate for them at the cinema.

as I say, she enjoyed it! Had she cried and annoyed other people I would have removed her from situation...sacrifice made.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Personally I think the club is missing a trick by not offering a creche. I almost posted it on Ask The Club. I know for a fact it would be far easier for me to get to the football if I could drop my 18 month old at a club creche and pick him up after the game. Wife gets a break from kids, I get my football fix, job done.

Not sure it could be cost-justified, unless there was also demand for it in the week. Otherwise there's a facility that has to be fitted out to Ofsted-approved standards and staffed with properly qualified people, massively strict staff/baby ratios - and it only gets used for 23 sessions of no more the 3 or 4 hours a year.

At other clubs, these things have only been worth doing if there's demand away from just the football matches - because a space that could be used at football to house, say, 20 babies could be used to serve beer to several thousands of grown-ups.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I think it's unfair on other supporters though. Whenver babies are involved there is always crying and a fuss. You only have to go into a child friendly cafe to see why what I mean. I went to Revitalise a while back, which is supposed to be a relaxing cafe in Hove which does massages and stuff. But, it happened to be mothers morning and it was one of the most horrific and terrifying scenes I have ever felt or witnessed. I was quietly trying to check my emails and I had babies wailing, mothers fussing and kids crawling around under my chair and tugging at my power cable. I am mentally scarred forever and have never been the same since. And then there is the equipment they bring with them. All manner of shit to transport and entertain the annoying needy little fuckers.

I think 4 is a suitable age, then the baby/child will be the right mental age to join in with most other supporters.

my 6 year old makes more of a fuss than the 10 month old! As I put before, had she played up I would have removed her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I watch the episode where Daddy Pigs computer breaks once more, I may go insane. That said, I'd like to punch Noddy in the face. The smug, floppy hat wearing dullard.

I loved Noddy as a kid. Very un-PC though. I had a book where the golliwogs stole Noddy's clothes and left him naked and crying in the woods. They used to kidnap Big Ears regularly as well.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
I have seen babies at football matches wearing ear defenders
_42420742_defenders_203.jpg

which is probably better for baby and other supporters.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's not a cunty answer. It's a point of view that doesn't fit your situation and isn't what you want to hear. You start a thread asking about taking a baby to the football, he replies "not near me thanks" and gives his reasons.

Personally fair if you ask me.

He must be working on some new material and testing the water here surely.
Babies at football ffs ?

I,m still f***ed off they haven,t provided kennels at the Amex.

Lush

Mods' Pet
as I say, she enjoyed it! Had she cried and annoyed other people I would have removed her from situation...sacrifice made.

I'm sure she did and I'm sure she was perfectly well behaved, but if I'm honest it would affect my ability to jump to my feet, swear at the ref, go mental at a goal etc as I'd always be very conscious that there was a small baby on someone's lap next to me. Babies are very difficult to ignore. If you have friends or family each side than that's probably easier.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not sure it could be cost-justified, unless there was also demand for it in the week. Otherwise there's a facility that has to be fitted out to Ofsted-approved standards and staffed with properly qualified people, massively strict staff/baby ratios - and it only gets used for 23 sessions of no more the 3 or 4 hours a year.

At other clubs, these things have only been worth doing if there's demand away from just the football matches - because a space that could be used at football to house, say, 20 babies could be used to serve beer to several thousands of grown-ups.
Yes that is probably true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here