Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take him or leave him- Rooney 3 game ban

Should Rooey go or not

• Total voters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That is called having your cake and eating it, old chap.

Who? Me, or the disciplinary panel? I just think there may have been some barely suppressed glee in that meeting, whatever the correctness of the decision.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leave him, what would be the point in taking him.
Er, because if we qualify, he could play for us in the group stages and help us.
Leave him, if he can't play a part in what I think is the most important part of a competition which is getting out the group then there's no point.
We normally get through the group stages, I think the knockout stages are more important.
The obvious answer is take him to the tournament. I can't believe people are saying anything different.

We know we're going to have to get through the group without him. Having an extra striker on the bench in those games isn't a MASSIVE deal. However, getting through and then not having our best player available would be. Clearly he has to go. The only circumstances I can think of where this wouldn't be the case is if we go into the tournament with two or three other strikes all carrying injuries.
This.
By the time he is able to play the team without him would of got through so deserve to play. f*** him
But if we get through without him, it's unlikely that all of our strikers will have plaid well. It's more likely we'll be a bit shit, but get through because there are others even more shit than us, and we'll be desperate for a quality striker to come on.

This nonsense about punishing him is pathetic, it's about giving the team the best chance of winning, and that's with him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it is hard to disagree with the three-game ban based on the actual incident
I disagree with it. It was silly and he deserved to be sent off, but it wasn't in any way dangerous, the guy was never going to get injured from it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I disagree with it. It was silly and he deserved to be sent off, but it wasn't in any way dangerous, the guy was never going to get injured from it.

I think you'd be in the minority there. A red card for that in the Championship would carry an automatic three-game ban, UEFA just give themselves the option of getting there via a longer route. He lost his rag and lashed out, that's it, and this one has cost him and his country. The extent of the injury is irrelevant.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'm fed up with the tabloid media wank-fest over Rooney. I'd be happy for him to stay behind just so they have nothing to write about.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We don't know what the final vote will be, but it has been at 60-65 per cent to leave him at home for a while. Going to be a really big decision for Capello, he must be furious at having to make it.

I'm trying to think of current players where countries WOULD take him in these circumstances. It's always going to be your talismanic ones. Maybe Messi for Argentina. I couldn't see Portugal not selecting Ronaldo ever. Schnijder for Holland, possibly.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I can't read the whole thread on my phone on the train so sorry if someone has already made this point BUT if it had been the main player for Italy Spain or France, would he have got a 3 match ban? I think not.

However he is still a complete f***ing nob.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Haven't read the thread but definitely take him. IF we get through the group it could be a blessing in disguise, having a fresh Rooney to unleash on the tournament.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Leave the twat at home. Yes he is our one world class attacking player but he is just as likely to get a red card in his first game after the suspension. No, he's had his chance and blown it. He just does not think - last year the swearing into the TV camera. He is a scally with no thought for the consequences. The other thing that grates about this is that I don't think Man U or their plastic fans will lose much sleep over him missing the Euros.

I can already see the media having a field day following Rooney around the beaches of Europe next summer while his England team mates are trying to do the right thing on the pitch. There will be a frenzy to ensnare him into some scenario, especially if its one of his Dad's dodgy betting scams - against England? On this occasion I would be quite happy if the media give him hell. Let him know how ashamed we are of him and deflect attention from the squad so they might get half a chance to quietly get on with the job.

I totally agree that a youngster should get a chance - eg a Welbeck. Remember the impact that Hurst and Owen had when they took their chance to play. Good luck to them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's only going to go off scrumping cars in Poland, either that or shagging some old grandma beetroot picker

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
The guy is a total liability!
He's now a marked man on the international scene...if he does comeback for the knock-out games, then the opposition are clearly going to try and wind him up and get him sent off - ala Portugal!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you take Rooney then you have to take five strikers in total, if your going to play two up front. That's the two that start, one to come on if needed and another in case of injury. If (and that's a big if) we get through the group stage then its straight into the quarter final, where Rooney would be available. Now if we got to the quarters(which I doubt we will) then it will mean we are doing something right or in Capello's case very lucky. So who would drop out and what effect would it have on the rest of the team. Its a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Personally I would put it to bed now and say he is not going, even in squad. Then everyone knows where they stand and lets face it, Capello is gone after the event, so if Rooney were to throw a moody over it, then all would be forgotten under the new manager.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I find some of the opinions on here amazing he's out of 3 games games in a tournament of a maximum of 6 games and his record in tournaments has hardly set the world on fire. Great for United but distinctly average for England.

Leave him at home.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No way we should take him. Maybe next time he'll think next time before acting like a complete fool.

I have corrected your misprint !

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If the team qualifies for the knockouts then the players who get them that far deserve to keep their places. He's usually a crock of shit in big tournaments anyway so maybe we'll benefit from not basing our team around him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here