Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] T20 World Cup

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
So going back to the discussion point, did England or Pakistan simply fail because of not posting enough? Or was it their ability with the ball? We could go round in circles all day. Both would have loved more runs I'm sure, but both more than capable of winning the game with what they had, both were 60% or so on the predictor with 24 balls left, and both bowled really poorly when it came to the death.

For me, and it's hypothetical, but England have seen out games bowling so much better than that in T20. With a side 4 down needing 57 off 24 balls, I'd back England 7 or 8 times out of 10 to win the game. In fact England were in a better position against SA at 110-3 in the 13th needing 80, than NZ were at 110 in the 17th needing 57, in fact England needed 45 runs from their 17th over when 4 down v SA - so actually NZ's win was tougher than England had v SA, who had 189 on the board.

Is it trite to say that they both didn't have enough runs on the board, and didn't bowl well enough?

At the end of the day, both chases finished with an over to spare, they weren't close. Apart from one over from Jordan (which a - happens, and b - still threw up 2 chances for a catch in the deep even if they were both difficult) I didn't think England bowled overtly badly, but New Zealand pretty much played the chase exactly as you'd want to. One man batted through, another came in and hit a few sixes to close the gap at the end. It's like Sam Curran said (in his stupid voice and his stupid hair) while punditing the Pakistan game, in T20 now they look at how many 6's they need to close out the game, rather than worrying about runs per over or per ball. It's easy to point the finger at Jordan, and to be clear his over was shite, but you have to accept that an over can go for 20 even if somebody bowls well, and there were neither enough runs on the board nor enough wickets taken earlier on to stop that from happening.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looking forward to the final and hoping for a New Zealand win.

If anyone doesn't know what a decent team they are, in one vital over Rashid collided with one of their batsman who was in the way and they chose not to take the single. I can't think of any other nation that would have done that.

I know that was how the commentary called that incident, but I’m not completely sure they didn’t just have second thoughts about the single, and decided they were better keeping Neesham on strike. He proceeded to smash the next ball for six, too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
So I tried to get tickets earlier, no joy. Rumour is that the BCCI took a huge allocation, most of which have ended up unused. People online were trying to flog for 300% markup, which I ain’t paying.

Mind you, if the fecking Aussies end up winning then I won’t be too upset at not going.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Devon Conway not playing in the final today. Broke a finger......punching his bat when he got out against England. A special kind of stupid.

Definitely a cricketing Darwin there.

Loving some of the NZ stroke play today.

Officially I should have the television off and be staring at the wall or writing a moaning blog about 20 over cricket. But I'm really enjoying this.

The Hundred though, I think we can all keep moaning about that.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Definitely a cricketing Darwin there.

Loving some of the NZ stroke play today.

Officially I should have the television off and be staring at the wall or writing a moaning blog about 20 over cricket. But I'm really enjoying this.

The Hundred though, I think we can all keep moaning about that.

Astonishing from Kane W today. From a very slow start too....

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Starc 0-60 from 4 overs. :lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To paraphrase Gary Lineker: Definition of Cricket: Twenty two men hit a ball around a field and in the end the Australians win.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
5-1 on Australia to win the Trophy was too good to refuse after England thrashed them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here