Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swine flu already here

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The two in Lanarkshire are suspected but unlikely, the one in Northampton is negative and the one in Middlesex is a hysterical gay airline steward with hayfever.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Correct me If I am wrong, but the poor people who have died in Mexico either had:-

1) The bad type of the virus

or

2) They have the mild type but their bodies simply can't handle it

This is the part I cannot understand. If they have the bad type does this mean it is passing from human to human.

Should we be worried about this?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
According to the WHO this virus is of a type hitherto not seen. It is swine flu but has mutated so vaccines currently in use are practically useless.

The problem is that on its own its pretty scary but if it comes into contact with other variants of the flu virus it has the ability to become even more virulent.

The deaths in Mexico (100 and rising) among a known infected base of around 1,000 individuals is incredibly high and combined with the fact that the majority of deaths are in the under 45's evenm more worrying as this is the same picture as was seen in the last Flu Pandemic in 1918-19 wwhich claimed more victims than the great war which had preceeeded it. The virus itself is of the same variety as that involved in 1918 btw.

The good news is that people contracting it in the US and elsewhere do not seem to be dying and are not usually in need of hospitalisation which might point to the Mexican victims being of poor health in general with limited access to retroviral medicines.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Correct me If I am wrong, but the poor people who have died in Mexico either had:-

1) The bad type of the virus

or

2) They have the mild type but their bodies simply can't handle it

This is the part I cannot understand. If they have the bad type does this mean it is passing from human to human.

Should we be worried about this?

Reading around the topic in the last few days, it sounds like this H1N1 is like any other virus, in that there are lots of different strains of it, some are not deadly, whereas some are.

The BMJ published an article last month about H1N1. Apparently 98% of H1N1 cases can be prevented with the Tamiflu vaccine, however the efficacy of it is likely to change as the virus changes.

But a bad strain of the H1N1 virus was in Holland as early as last January, which was spread from person to person in hospital who were sick before, so more susceptible to the disease.

But in a bit better news, it does sound like the virus does just fizzle out. It looks like there has been several cases of it throughout the world in the last few decades. I wouldn't worry yet!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Reading around the topic in the last few days, it sounds like this H1N1 is like any other virus, in that there are lots of different strains of it, some are not deadly, whereas some are.

The BMJ published an article last month about H1N1. Apparently 98% of H1N1 cases can be prevented with the Tamiflu vaccine, however the efficacy of it is likely to change as the virus changes.

But a bad strain of the H1N1 virus was in Holland as early as last January, which was spread from person to person in hospital who were sick before, so more susceptible to the disease.

But in a bit better news, it does sound like the virus does just fizzle out. It looks like there has been several cases of it throughout the world in the last few decades. I wouldn't worry yet!

yes. I personally trust the views of a student nurse over the World Health Organisation.

I've handled some papers from Mexico in the last week.
Now I've got a headache, sore throat and general cold symptoms.
But I'm Welsh, so am just getting on with it.
No poxy Mexican flu is gonna get me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
this is the same picture as was seen in the last Flu Pandemic in 1918-19 wwhich claimed more victims than the great war which had preceeeded it. The virus itself is of the same variety as that involved in 1918 btw.

And if you think of the sheer volume of people flying around the world these days compared with 1918...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
And if you think of the sheer volume of people flying around the world these days compared with 1918...

But on the flip side there are a lot fewer soldiers in massive transit camps awaiting de-mob which was the catalyst for the massive death toll among young men.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I've handled some papers from Mexico in the last week.
Now I've got a headache, sore throat and general cold symptoms.
But I'm Welsh, so am just getting on with it.
No poxy Mexican flu is gonna get me.

Quarantine yourself NOW..the amount of phlegm you lot expel just saying names will mean pandemia tout suite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here