Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing at Withdean

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Is it acceptable ?
The F word was the source of a heated exchange in the North Stand yesterday where a complaint was made because of children being present.
Should they be in the family stand if they are sensitive to the odd bad word?..they probably hear worse at school.
your views please

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of BOLLOCKS
There has been, is and will always be swearing at football. It is hard and clever.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I can understand parents being upset with bad language in the family stand. If you have to swear there are loads of empty seats elsewhere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you should hear the language in J block...most of that comes from the kiddies....and statto who is a foul mouthed yob

:)))))

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My kids have been going for a while and it is part and parcel I'm afraid unless you go in the family area.

It was at the point when Junior was around 9 and sang "When the ball hits the back of the net (like a f***ing rocket) it's Zamora" that Mrs Hut went into one....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I learned every swearword I know in the playground. It will probably add to the excitment if they hear a few 'naughty words' with a quiet word in their ear not to let mum know when they get home. Obviously all within reason of course, it is a bit embarrassing when you hear someone going over the top around childern.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Yeah at the end of the day that's what the family stand is there for! As Billy says, Dad's going with their sons can tell them not to tell their mother and no harm is done. Anyone who believes their precious little 8 year old hasn't learnt the words shit, bollocks, f***, piss, wanker and even (unt is living in a different planet!

That's not to say grown men shouldn't sometimes be a bit more careful!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There is a story (maybe apocryphal) that a certain well known fan was on the phone in once defending bad language at football and criticising the club for trying to curb it. A few weeks later, over breakfast, said fans son used a piece of anglo saxon language and when confronted by mother, she was advised by son that he had heard the word at football the night before. Cue heated discussion between mum and dad in that household!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
think its all about moderation - if someone is saying f*** even other word as if it is used in everyday language, then it could be seen as a problem

however, in the heat of the moment, the odd "f***ing hell el abd" is part and parcel, and part of the experience of going to a game

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yeah at the end of the day that's what the family stand is there for! As Billy says, Dad's going with their sons can tell them not to tell their mother and no harm is done. Anyone who believes their precious little 8 year old hasn't learnt the words shit, bollocks, f***, piss, wanker and even (unt is living in a different planet!

That's not to say grown men shouldn't sometimes be a bit more careful!

Bit sexist isn't it? I know Mums who take their kids too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
think its all about moderation - if someone is saying f*** even other word as if it is used in everyday language, then it could be seen as a problem

however, in the heat of the moment, the odd "f***ing hell el abd" is part and parcel, and part of the experience of going to a game

Spot on.
And if I havn't done a "f***ing HELL El Abd" during the course of the afternoon, I don't feel I've been at a game. I even do it when he's not playing.

The Timekeeper

FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM
Sep 25, 2003
At home, the pub,the bookies
It's a football ground and people get heated, swearing will always be present. I for one take my young kids and will continue to do so, you cannot stop people from venting their frustration.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Exactly. I think my first one was at about 1450 and went something along the lines of 'f***ing hell, El-Abd is playing left back'.

Mine would have been at a similar time, but extended to something more along the lines of 'f***ing hell, El-Abd is playing."

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I thought "Fecking" was El Abd's first name? I never hear him called anything else, not even by my dear ninety three year old Maiden Aunt.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
If one wishes to prevent children from overhearing any sweary words then it is better not to take them to football. Having said that, there is, of course, a deal of difference between some effing and blinding in the heat of the moment and 90 minutes sat near someone whose commentary on events is to shout "****" at 30 second intervals.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
If one wishes to prevent children from overhearing any sweary words then it is better not to take them to football. Having said that, there is, of course, a deal of difference between some effing and blinding in the heat of the moment and 90 minutes sat near someone whose commentary on events is to shout "****" at 30 second intervals.

I always try to avoid sitting near Ed myself

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Dont forget, "O Just f*** off Mayo"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here