Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swear filter - time for it to come back?

Swear filter - bring it back?

• No - I'll try to be a little bit more imaginative than calling everyone a ****. But leave the option

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • Yes - I can see that current language use would upset some people, so take some of the 'bad words' a

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've received a few complaints over the past week about the standard of posting on NSC - particularly the language.

My stock reply is "it's the nature of the beast blah blah blah". But I've just been having a catch up and a perusal of a lot of threads and it does seem that a lot of people are unable to make more than 2 or 3 posts without using the c word.

It does make NSC look like a hangout for 12 year olds who are out of earshot of their parents and feel the need to swear at every opportunity.

I didn't impose a swear filter because I really thought that people would be able to deal with the ability to type uncensored, but this really does not seem to be the case right now. I don't have a problem with swearing - you hear it at football, you hear worse on a school playground etc., but the fact is there are people who do have issues with it. Unfortunately the widespread use of it now means that any innocent looking threads often turn into swear-athons, meaning readers are not able to judge on thread titles whether they are likely to be offended or not.

So - swear filter - shall I bring it back, or are people going to exercise a little more discipline, and respect others?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I has been mentioned before and the ladies of the board have mentioned it again very recently that we do have a problem with the c word.

It is particularly offensive to ladies.

It would be nice to be able to trust people not to be offensive and to exercise discipline but would it happen?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think Watford, in his inimitable, eloquent way, has made an excellent case for its return.

Personally I would be opposed as by nature I'm agains all forms of artistic censorship preferring to leave it to the individual author, film-maker or NSC poster to exercise discretion.

However I take your point, and like CCTV cameras in City Centres it may be a necessary evil to keep the kids in line.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
No Leave it as it is and ask nicely for people to stop, I for one will make an effort only to use it when replying to watford o or dwayne wher eit is totally justified.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't use the 'c word' but have been known to use the 'f word' from time to time - I shall desist immediately.

Will Cr****l Pa***e be allowed?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Well, last time it got mooted I suggested we do have one for some of the more choice words, given the universiality (is that a word!?) of this board, but I got shouted down, so bollocks to it. I don't care anymore.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Don't think that we need a swear filter, just do an announcement to avoid using bad words so much, in particular the c-word.

It'll be a reasonable request and I am sure that most people on here are sensible enough to realise when they have overstepped the mark and will refrain from doing it so much.

:)

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
I think we should leave it as it is but with a little less use of the c word - as discussed on saturday (you know who you are) if the boys really have to use this word, could they say K'nut instead?????

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Don't bring it back, if asked i imagine the vast majority will stop using such foul language. I must admit i do like a good swear up but i would try and cut down if i was offending anybody.

Especially the ladeeez:blush:

Occasionally there is little option but to swear, and for that reason I would request that the filter is left off. BUT, as one of those probably guilty of the odd bit of gratuitous cursing I will also make an effort to curb my verbal diarrhea, and ask that others do the same.

What was the phrase Buzza used, 'poacher turned gamekeeper'? Grrr.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
WATFORD O said:
I will try to leave out the C word. Tinx whats youre problem with me specifically?

I'm only joking mate, it a bit of banter. We've been through this before. you Knut!!!!!

See I can do it. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The c word and I have never got on....can't stand it and never will use it....

However - if people can restrain themselves to using it when they feel so vehemently about something then go ahead.... at least we will know you're truly mad about something or someone - for those people who continually use it I've already categorized you as having the vocabulary of a gnat anyhow...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think a threat/request like this ought to limit the foul language enough. Often, we forget where we are and that maybe other more delicate ears are listening. I know i do. So i shall hasten to revert to less erroneous ground.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think starting off by asking everyone politely to tone it down will be fine. People who use this board are, by and large, more mature than they pretend. Any persistent offenders you can then have a quiet word with, and the swear filter can be considered as a last resort.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
why don't we have a poll(!) to decide replacement words for each of the swear words like knut that people want removed from the board.

it'd be making swearing fun! :clap2: :clap2:

could make them really random and bizarre....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here