Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swear filter - time for it to come back?

Swear filter - bring it back?

• No - I'll try to be a little bit more imaginative than calling everyone a ****. But leave the option

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • Yes - I can see that current language use would upset some people, so take some of the 'bad words' a

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Using a colour tag on one letter in the word will defeat the censor. Pointless, third time luck aye chappers.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think there is a need for a swear filter, but we should have a ban on certain words, and the c-word is certainly one of them.

It's a word I never use, and one I hate to hear.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
I know several women who use the word, and indeed embrace use of the word. Their argument is that if they reclaim it, it can't be used aggressively against them.

Is that a bit like "******" and "queer"?

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
swear filters are sh1t. There is one on the Hearts messageboard and it is laughable. Arsenal comes out as ****nal.

I find this site much more liberating and adult because of the use of swear words. I actually enjoy the use of the c word but only incertain very specific instances such as referring to Jeffrey/Bill Archer and other nasty men, but I will try and desist on this messageboard from now on.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Wilts said:
Is it possible to create an option so that if a person doesn't want to see swearing, then they can simply click on it and the words will be blocked out? Then every user is happy.... sort of.

Am I right in thinking that the old NSC used to have this (the white-background one back in about 2001)?

That is a really good idea. Can this be done Bozza?

I am fundamentally opposed to censorship of any kind, so here is my suggestion:

a message goes out asking posters to try and limit their use of stronger swear words (I don't think anyone minds 'crap', for instance), pointing out the offence that some words may, and do, cause.

those of you who are offended by the language certain regulars use can put them on your ignore list. just think what you do with any other immature idiot you meet down the pub - you ignore them, don't you?

those that do swear a lot will know that they will be ignored by many on the board (especially if this information is included in the message telling users of the policy on swear words). they can then decide if they want to be read/heard by as many as possible. if they do, they will cut down on the swearing for their own sake.

this will not, of course, remove all use of swear words, but it will massively reduce the likelihood of coming up against it.

on those occasions when you do, it will just be like watching any certificate12 film, walking down the street, going to the pub, watching telly after 9, etc. - it cannot be avoided all the time.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
my 2 pence worth on this subject:

It seems society has adopted swearing much more in the previous 10 years than ever before, you see it daily in the street, you see it everytime you watch a movie or TV show after 9pm. Swearing has become a standard way of expressing peoples emotions/opinions and its something that wont go away in a hurry. Its now a part of life that we all live with and will continue to live with whether we like it or not!

As for the C word, well if ladies are offended by it then filter that out, personally its not worse than called a blokes Penis his "Willy" in my opinion...."Willy" makes it sound crap...so filter that word out too :)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Bozza said:
The two I suspect you are referring to have been removed.

(Now to hang the person who added them....)

Wozza, wozza, wozza :nono: ;) :shootself

I think the c-word has become a bit of a 'joke' (wrong word I know) word on NSC. Best cut it out now though.

Wilts suggestion is good. I think it might be possible. Also think a warning system would be good. So excessive use = yellow card type thing.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This seems to be all about the C word. Shall i say it? ****. There, it's been said. So what? 10 years ago it would have been about the F word and before that something like Bloody or some harmless word. Times change and what people found unacceptable years back is now acceptable. I'm not saying that the C word should be used every day, but its not as bad as it once was. Read a post earlier that is it offensive to women, why? Sure the word has a reference to a womans privates, but its used to describe someone as being the lowest of the low. Why arent us men getting upset when someone calls someone a cock! Still a reference to a mans penis but is used to describe an individual as an idiot. As for children, you can control them, tell them that this is a site for grown ups and that some of the men used very naughty words. Much like kids hear in the playground at school everyday and use everyday. Just make sure that they know that, as children it isnt acceptable for them to say these words. Or if you choose not to censor you kids from it, then thats up to you.
I suggest a filter you can turn on and off. Much like the option to turn off an avatar or signature. That way we can see swearing if we like and if we dont its censored out.

Rant over.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Wilts said:
Is it possible to create an option so that if a person doesn't want to see swearing, then they can simply click on it and the words will be blocked out? Then every user is happy.... sort of. Am I right in thinking that the old NSC used to have this (the white-background one back in about 2001)?

If not, then there's not really a problem getting rid of swearing, because we can all think of different words if the need be, it just might not be natural forethought and might require me to put brain in gear for a moment to think of something more appropriate :)

Great minds eh?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
This all seems to be getting a bit stupid now. No one has replied in this thread that they intend to carry on using particularly foul language, so hopefully that will be enough. If the problem arises again, it gets mentioned again and people put themselves in check. A policing system that may ruin the flow of the discussions on this board is surely a greater evil than the occasional increase in bad language. And will result in the lowering of membership and usage. All depends what you want from this "community".

Being your average modern, idiotic man, it may be necessary for me to be told which words are completely offensive.
Personally, no swearword catches me unawares or fuels disgust within me. So, if we are to have these loose regulations, can they at least be clear?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So its ok it we write C*nt. Everyone knows what it means anyway. So what's the point? People offended by the C word will still know what we mean. Even if you use other alternatives the we will all know what it means. The only way is to stop using the word completely. As the poll suggests, not many people want that.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
But the complaints surely just come in response to threads that are predominantly filled with "****s". So, maybe its fair to try and compromise and admit that they are unnecessary and possibly offensive.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
One complaint from a little Withdeaner and 2000 extra seats are scuppered.
How many have there been? are there some from the same person? Some complaints should be taken with a pinch of salt. I'm complaining about the complaining!!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We can get by without it and therefore I wouldn't object to a ban on swear words.

Despite many of my previous postings. :nono: :D

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Depends what poggering is.
Is it a slow or fast action? Are there tools involved? Can you ever finish poggering without scars or tears?

I have a friend called Poggy. She might not like it.
:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here