Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea City: We Are About To Have A Problem

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do we know he hasn't signed his contract, just because there hasn't been a press release or press conference to announce it?

Do you really believe there wouldn't have been an announcement? You are surely not that naive to think the club would not announce it instantly? It is a fairly big deal given that he is linked to every job outside the Premiership.

Gus is looking rather hypercritical when you compare his contract dallying with the way he sounded-off at Calde......

Except that Calderon, at the time, was out of contract in a matter of weeks and Poyet is currently under contract until the end of the forthcoming season. The two employment situations are not comparable imo.

Last edited:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
There is no loyalty in football as we all know. I like the way Gus has got some of our players to pass and not hoof. I would be disappointed to see him go, but with all that is happening at the club, we would not be short of decent candidates.
Swansea are a bigger club than us currently, have bigger stadium currently and are in th championship. We have potential but there are no guarantees.

I love all of this speculation on transfers and who we are interested in etc, it what makes me read NSC !!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Does it really matter if he signs his contract or not. At the end of the day if he wants to go, he goes. All the club gets is compensation.

Tbh, I dont think he will be offered the job. He wasn't deemed suitable for the job last time and his CV (as yet) hasn't changed except to stop us going down. I think swansea will be looking for a manager to take them to the next stage i.e Premiership. Would they consider Poyet to be that person, or looking to a manager who has a proven track record?

Even if her were offered the job, would you take something knowing you were 2nd choice?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you really believe there wouldn't have been an announcement? You are surely not that naive to think the club would not announce it instantly? It is a fairly big deal given that he is linked to every job outside the Premiership.

Gus has seemingly treated it as a simple formality in interviews, as has bloom. To them it's just an extension to an existing contract, and the sort of news that you find at the end of an article, not something to make a song and dance about.

Personally, I honestly expect it to come out that way. It will be an 'also' bit of news "Also, Gus finally put pen to paper on his new deal". Or maybe a little higher in the article, "Gus, who also signed his own new contract had this to say about the capture of Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink..."

It might even come out as a denial Tony Bloom moved to squash rumours of Poyet going to Swansea, saying 'Gus is happy here, he signed his new contract last week and we're both in for the long haul'.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Although he had s crash pad down here he spends most of the time in cobham where he has a house.
Would he really swap the surrey and Sussex beauty for Swansea - full of fat slags failed industry and chavy shitty little people?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Although he had s crash pad down here he spends most of the time in cobham where he has a house.
Would he really swap the surrey and Sussex beauty for Swansea - full of fat slags failed industry and chavy shitty little people?
Have you ever been there?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
he'll need to actually achieve something here before clubs start calling in my view

he has basically NOTHING on his cv

Precisely.

He has already stated (when linked with Portsmouth) that he is building a team here, and jumping ship to start over again is not in his interests. Swansea have BIG ambitions to be Premier League material, they will want a manager who will

a)Get them to the promised land (ideally at the first attempt)
b)have experience in managing in top flight football to sustain their status there.

Poyet so far has 6 months managerial experince as a no.1 managing BHA, by keeping them in the league.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm hoping that we'll be in a similar situation to Swansea in a couple of years time, so I guess it depends on how much of a hurry Gus is in to reach the top. No point in worrying about it though, he'll either stay or he'll go, what we think or say is irrelevant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to stay at Brighton but it's going to be for the aesthetic appeal. The coast around Swansea is seriously spectacular.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm hoping that we'll be in a similar situation to Swansea in a couple of years time, so I guess it depends on how much of a hurry Gus is in to reach the top. No point in worrying about it though, he'll either stay or he'll go, what we think or say is irrelevant.
Swansea could have a crack at the Championship playoffs next season, we could have that in two years, and that's being VERY optimistic.

This came into my head as soon as I heard Sousa was off as well. He fits Swansea's model, he hasn't signed his contract, he was close to the job before. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went there.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Except that Calderon, at the time, was out of contract in a matter of weeks and Poyet is currently under contract until the end of the forthcoming season. The two employment situations are not comparable imo.

Hmmm... the fact that Calde was a free agent, actually makes the Gus non-signing look worse, IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Does it really matter if he signs his contract or not. At the end of the day if he wants to go, he goes. All the club gets is compensation.

Tbh, I dont think he will be offered the job. He wasn't deemed suitable for the job last time and his CV (as yet) hasn't changed except to stop us going down. I think swansea will be looking for a manager to take them to the next stage i.e Premiership. Would they consider Poyet to be that person, or looking to a manager who has a proven track record?

Even if her were offered the job, would you take something knowing you were 2nd choice?

Compensation = money = important...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Graeme Jones 3/1
Paul Tisdale 3/1
Gus Poyet 5/1
Chris Coleman 7/1
Gareth Southgate 8/1
Steve Clarke 12/1
Steve Tilson 12/1
Sean O'Driscoll 14/1
Brendan Rodgers 14/1
Tony Mowbray 14/1
Paul Trollope 16/1
Dean Saunders 16/1
Iain Dowie 20/1
Gary Megson 20/1
Paul Jewell 20/1
Paul Hart 20/1
Jim Magilton 20/1
Alan Curtis 22/1
John Toshack 25/1
Alan Curbishley 28/1
Dean Holdsworth 25/1
Lee Trundle 50/1

Gareth Southgate now backed into 5/2 favourite, Poyet has drifted out to 7s.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gareth Southgate now backed into 5/2 favourite, Poyet has drifted out to 7s.

May Gus' odds rise inexorably until the Swans announce the replacement is NOT Gus! :smile:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Gus doesn't live in Cobham. Or Surrey at all, for that matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here