Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven Goran Erikkson

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes definitely. My point is they were very preventable errors, whereas if we had simply been outclassed in all departments over 90 minutes I would be more concerned. We weren't, and under Capello I don't see such errors happening in a competitive match.

Overall (in all areas) we were the better team over 90 minutes.

Ya get me blud?

No, I see that but we do keep on making these errors. Under Sven we were a very good defensive unit but had to rely on the odd bit of brilliance from Beckham, Owen, Rooney, Lampard to get a goal. Under Capello we're very good going foward but look average at best at the back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, I see that but we do keep on making these errors. Under Sven we were a very good defensive unit but had to rely on the odd bit of brilliance from Beckham, Owen, Rooney, Lampard to get a goal. Under Capello we're very good going foward but look average at best at the back.

It is frustrating that still we ALWAYS concede at least one goal per game. I do think the more time Capello has with the lads the better they'll learn and respond though. Our defensive players ARE good enough to do this.

Also we do not have a World Class keeper which is the main reason I would possibly rule out the thought of us actually winning the WC.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can be biased against anyone if you want, but this is actually a fact in Euro 2004 under Ericsson we were the top scorers, eventhough we played two games less than some sides.

The Czechs scored 10, the same as us, so we were joint top scorers and it's not a question of being biased against him, he was a dull manager with dull tactics and that is a FACT

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I'd check where you get your facts from

The Czechs scored 10, the same as us, so we were joint top scorers

Ok so you admit we were top scorers then, joint or otherwise. So we must have been a really boring awful side to watch then???

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ok so you admit we were top scorers then, joint or otherwise. So we must have been a really boring awful side to watch then???

We didn't meet a decent team throughout the tournament either. If we'd had a more adventurous manager I have no doubt we could have won it. Boring? yeah 90% of the time imo. Look who won ffs..

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I remember all of them and they are remembered as shit, Sven seems to have gone under the radar as a shit manager as he managed to qualify. Now I know some people think that's a great achievement and it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you qualify. I defy anyone to tell me what games that we played in the 3 finals under Sven where we weren't underachieving massively and looking very very ordinary? The guy turned as many people off national football as any of the so called shit ones.

Read back on the threads where England were playing under Sven and see if you can find one where most people actually enjoyed themselves watching. Oh and how come the players are no longer being slagged off by so many of you as overpaid prima donnas who don't give a shit? Simple, we have a manager who is International class and demands respect and application, something Sven never had regardless of how many shit groups we scraped through to qualify from.

England were dire but qualified and then underachieved under Sven is about as enthusiastic as I can get. Fun? exciting? I don't think so.

People like you with your 'underachieving' bollocks turned me off the whole England experience for a couple of years. 'overpaid prima donnas' blah blah blah. Give the tabloid quoting a rest will you?

'how many shit groups we scraped through' - remind me what position we were in in the WC qualifying group just after Germany had beaten us at wembley will you. You know? When Sven took over?

We reached 3 quarter finals. We were shit in some games. Good in some. Shocking occasionaly. Gung ho in others. Basically exactly how England ALWAYS are.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
he was a dull manager with dull tactics and that is a FACT

That is not a fact it is a statement of opinion.

It is like saying Gordon Brown is a good/bad prime minister, it is purely a matter of opinion as per ones bias for and against Gordon Brown.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
People like you with your 'underachieving' bollocks turned me off the whole England experience for a couple of years. 'overpaid prima donnas' blah blah blah. Give the tabloid quoting a rest will you?

Re the Overpaid blah blah blah, that wasn't me that said it, if you'd actually read what I said you'd have seen that I was asking where those on here who had said it had gone.

People like me turned you off the football? Sounds like you might be in denial that the football was shite for the most part.

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Our group was the only one that had 3 teams in the WORLD top 20 in it (who had all qualified for the last WC). You can say what you like now about the quality but it looked pretty hard at the start. The fact that we made it look easy and are having our best ever qualifying tournament may be because the others are on the slide - but it might also be because we're starting to find our confidence at the World level. Time will tell.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
We didn't meet a decent team throughout the tournament either.

Again this is a matter of opinion, in my opinion France whom were the defending Euro champs and Portugal the hosts were pretty damn good and Switzerland and Croatia weren't that bad because if they were, they wouldn't have qualified for the tournament. What were supposed to do? Not put loads of goals past them because they weren't good enough opposition for Ericsson's England?!

This is a fact it is not an opinion, because it is quantifiable by statistics that everyone can look up.... in Euro 2004 under Ericsson England were (joint) top scorers, eventhough we played two games less than some sides.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For me, the thing with Capello is that he positively demands the highest standards. You could see last night how pissed he was when England let in a goal, despite being 4 up at that point.

They say the players have to be properly dressed at all times, that they know they will be stuck on if their timekeeping is poor, and that they have to call him Mr Capello. I always got the impression with Sven that, comedy hero that he was, the players regarded him almost as one of them, and figured they could get away with anything accordingly. How do you respect someone who was as much a feature of the tabloid front pages as the back? Whereas you're as likely to see a Love-Rat Capello expose in The Sun as you are to see John Catt cutting the ribbon at the Falmer Stadium opening ceremony.

He at last appears to have instilled a bit of discipline- dare I say it, fear- in the players, to have made a bunch of very well paid young men realise they will be out on their ear if they don't put the effort in, and that does seem to make a difference.

I want the likes of John Terry to know they'll have to work their balls off if they want our respect to go with their £150,000 per week. Maybe finally they're getting the message.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
svenbench.jpg
10-fabses_415x386.jpg

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I'd imagine until England get past the Quarter finals of the world cup, Eriksson has nothing to be ashamed over. Even then it's a it harsh! His football and England's style of performance may not have been the most eye-catching, but like Capello he seemed to get it right for the big matches. Hopefully Capello will have better luck with penalty shoot outs, or not need to rely on them!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
England are and have been for a long time in and around the eight best teams in the world. At what stage have we been knocked out of the last two world cups? It is simple, that is how good we are. Ericsson, Capello, whoever, last eight is where we belong.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am pretty sure I am not alone in thinking that tactically Sven was excellent with the players he had available to him. I think the people detracting from the job Sven did are confusing his man-management skills with getting the most out of the players he had available to him. The Germany win was just three points in a qualifying game and no more important than a win against Macedonia, so I don't accept this as an argument of his brilliance. His ability was proven by qualifying for every tournament while he was manager, and doing reasonably well in each finals.

That team, and the squad of players he had would've had no business winning a major tournament, without a healthy dose of good luck, which we certainly didn't get. Would Capello have beaten that Brazil side? I personally think not. Don't forget, our team has grown and developed hugely since then, domestically and with international experience.

HOWEVER, Sven brought about his own downfall as manager by the type of person he is. His man-management, as I said before was appalling and he didn't fully appreciate when to put the boot in. Sure, there's a time and place - it's more about respect ala Capello, than shouting a lot and "battling" ala Graham Taylor. If your own players see you as a weak man, and always thinking about your next lay rather than winning competitions, it's pretty hard to convince them you're 100% on the ball.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I am pretty sure I am not alone in thinking that tactically Sven was excellent with the players he had available to him. I think the people detracting from the job Sven did are confusing his man-management skills with getting the most out of the players he had available to him. The Germany win was just three points in a qualifying game and no more important than a win against Macedonia, so I don't accept this as an argument of his brilliance. His ability was proven by qualifying for every tournament while he was manager, and doing reasonably well in each finals.

That team, and the squad of players he had would've had no business winning a major tournament, without a healthy dose of good luck, which we certainly didn't get. Would Capello have beaten that Brazil side? I personally think not. Don't forget, our team has grown and developed hugely since then, domestically and with international experience.

HOWEVER, Sven brought about his own downfall as manager by the type of person he is. His man-management, as I said before was appalling and he didn't fully appreciate when to put the boot in. Sure, there's a time and place - it's more about respect ala Capello, than shouting a lot and "battling" ala Graham Taylor. If your own players see you as a weak man, and always thinking about your next lay rather than winning competitions, it's pretty hard to convince them you're 100% on the ball.

That sums up Ericsson in a nutshell. Good post.

Up to the qualifying for the 2006 World Cup Ericsson was a superb manager (so from 2001-2005) getting the absolute best out of a pretty average bunch. If you don't believe me look at a photo of our 2002 World Cup squad, both Danny Mills and Trevor Sinclair were in the side that beat Argentina!! Unlike than say McClaren whom had a much better squad and couldn't even qualify us for a tournament!!

Following his indescretions with Ulrika, Faria Alam and the sting by the Fake Sheikh in the NOTW he was a pale shadow of his former self, making tactical and squad selection blunders. He, I am sure lost the dressing room after everything in the press, he had to go in the end but then again all managers do at some stage.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am pretty sure I am not alone in thinking that tactically Sven was excellent with the players he had available to him..

Excellent tactically, to me , means being able to change tactics or formation in a game that's going against you. Remind me of the games he managed to do this please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here