Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven Goran Erikkson

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
f*** me some of you have got short memories - or you're very young. Do you not remember how SHIT we were under Taylor and Keegan? Ericsson's England were like Brazil 1970 compared to those eras.

I remember all of them and they are remembered as shit, Sven seems to have gone under the radar as a shit manager as he managed to qualify. Now I know some people think that's a great achievement and it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you qualify. I defy anyone to tell me what games that we played in the 3 finals under Sven where we weren't underachieving massively and looking very very ordinary? The guy turned as many people off national football as any of the so called shit ones.

Read back on the threads where England were playing under Sven and see if you can find one where most people actually enjoyed themselves watching. Oh and how come the players are no longer being slagged off by so many of you as overpaid prima donnas who don't give a shit? Simple, we have a manager who is International class and demands respect and application, something Sven never had regardless of how many shit groups we scraped through to qualify from.

England were dire but qualified and then underachieved under Sven is about as enthusiastic as I can get. Fun? exciting? I don't think so.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The fact is that Ericsson consistently got England into the top 8 of both Euros and WC means that he was consistently acheiving. There's only him, Ramsey, Robson and now Cappello that have managed to achieve anything in 50 years !

I agree his style was not exactly brazilian, and Capello's looks far better at the moment, but it's early days and it may be better to compare after a couple of tournaments. However, there is no doubt Ericsson was one of England's better managers.

And i know Easy10 was always a great supporter of Sven - what more need i say

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I remember all of them and they are remembered as shit, Sven seems to have gone under the radar as a shit manager as he managed to qualify. Now I know some people think that's a great achievement and it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you qualify. I defy anyone to tell me what games that we played in the 3 finals under Sven where we weren't underachieving massively and looking very very ordinary? The guy turned as many people off national football as any of the so called shit ones.

Read back on the threads where England were playing under Sven and see if you can find one where most people actually enjoyed themselves watching. Oh and how come the players are no longer being slagged off by so many of you as overpaid prima donnas who don't give a shit? Simple, we have a manager who is International class and demands respect and application, something Sven never had regardless of how many shit groups we scraped through to qualify from.

England were dire but qualified and then underachieved under Sven is about as enthusiastic as I can get. Fun? exciting? I don't think so.

My goodness some people really do have selective memories don't they.

Without question the best quality football we have played in any major tournament in the last 20+ years is in Euro 2004. If Rooney hadn't got injured I feel sure we could have won it.

let me remind you of the results.

v France lost 2-1 (but completely outplayed them and Becks should have scored a pen to make it 2-0 to us)
v Switzerland won 3-0
v Croatia won 4-2, that is the best game I have seen England play in any major tournament finals we were absolutely superb that day
v Portugal 2-2 homer ref disallows a perfectly good goal in te last minute.

England were the top scorers in that tournament too.

Now who was our manger in Euro 2004???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Without question the best quality football we have played in any major tournament in the last 20+ years is in Euro 2004. If Rooney hadn't got injured I feel sure we could have won it.

v Croatia won 4-2, that is the best game I have seen England play in any major tournament finals we were absolutely superb that day
QUOTE]

We do have different memories and opinions

Euro96 England 4 Holland 1 is just one game off the top of my head that betters anything in Euro 2004

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

QUOTE]

We do have different memories and opinions

Euro96 England 4 Holland 1 is just one game off the top of my head that betters anything in Euro 2004

Yeah when we were at home, no major advantage there!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I remember all of them and they are remembered as shit, Sven seems to have gone under the radar as a shit manager as he managed to qualify. Now I know some people think that's a great achievement and it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you qualify but I defy anyone to tell me what games that we played in the 3 finals under Sven where we weren't underachieving massively and looking very very ordinary? The guy turned as many people off football as any of the so called shit ones.

Read back on the threads where England were playing under Sven and see if you can find one where most people actually enjoyed themselves watching.

Totally agree.
We'd get to the Finals alright under Sven, but then totally EMBARRASS ourselves. Our performances were almost without exception utterly dire.

Sweden 1-1 (took the lead, then clung on for dear life and escaped with a very fortunate draw)
Argentina 1-0 (spirited rearguard action to hang on for the win, but we were battered for long periods)
Nigeria 0-0 (woeful, simply woeful)
Denmark 3-0 (superb first half, declared at half time and were dire for the remainder, but job was done to be fair)
Brazil 1-2 (thrown away against 10 men, completely embarrassing 2nd half performance)

Paraguay 1-0 (own goal winner, clueless dreadful and dreary performance)
Trinidad & Tobago 2-0 (came right in the end, but another awful, awful display)
Sweden 2-2 (great first half, abysmal 2nd to throw it away again)
Ecuador 1-0 (absolutely STANK the place out, rancid display)
Portugal 0-0 (utterly paralysed by fear against opponents who were there for the taking, usual exit on pens)

In fairness I thought we were fairly decent in Euro 2004 and were a little unfortunate. But World Cups under Sven ? Oh jesus, we were AWFUL.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That doesn't count :dunce:

Except it does. Also against Holland they didn't create two goals, we GIFTED them. Could very easily have ended 2-0.

Of course our players aren't good enough technica:laugh::laugh: sorry I can't do it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Except it does. Also against Holland they didn't create two goals, we GIFTED them. Could very easily have ended 2-0.

QUOTE]

Eh? How does that make any sense? I'd saying gifting a team two goals is playing pretty shit

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Totally agree.
We'd get to the Finals alright under Sven, but then totally EMBARRASS ourselves. Our performances were almost without exception utterly dire.

Sweden 1-1 (took the lead, then clung on for dear life and escaped with a very fortunate draw)
Argentina 1-0 (spirited rearguard action to hang on for the win, but we were battered for long periods)
Nigeria 0-0 (woeful, simply woeful)
Denmark 3-0 (superb first half, declared at half time and were dire for the remainder, but job was done to be fair)
Brazil 1-2 (thrown away against 10 men, completely embarrassing 2nd half performance)

Paraguay 1-0 (own goal winner, clueless dreadful and dreary performance)
Trinidad & Tobago 2-0 (came right in the end, but another awful, awful display)
Sweden 2-2 (great first half, abysmal 2nd to throw it away again)
Ecuador 1-0 (absolutely STANK the place out, rancid display)
Portugal 0-0 (utterly paralysed by fear against opponents who were there for the taking, usual exit on pens)

In fairness I thought we were fairly decent in Euro 2004 and were a little unfortunate. But World Cups under Sven ? Oh jesus, we were AWFUL.

Look you can be bias against any manager if you want to, I actually like and think Bobby Robson was a very good manager but you could say about our Italia 90 performances if you want to have a go at the bloke.

1-1 v Ireland, attrocious game the Sun said it was so bad it demanded our players to come home
0-0 v Holland, much better but still no goals
1-0 v Egypt, deflected Mark Wright header that squeeze us through
1-0 v Belgium, injury time strike in extra time by Platt squeaks us through
3-2 v Cameroon, undeserved win against African world cup first timers. penalty 10 minutes from time saves us.
1-1 v Germany, 50-50 game which we lost on penalties.

In World Cup 86 our pool group was called the Group of Sleep by the locals. In Euro 88 we lost all games and not scoring a goal. Euro 84 did not qualify.

You can be biased against anyone if you want, but this is actually a fact in Euro 2004 under Ericsson we were the top scorers, eventhough we played two games less than some sides.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

QUOTE]

Eh? How does that make any sense? I'd saying gifting a team two goals is playing pretty shit

My point is Holland didn't do anything to deserve two goals, whereas it was errors that we can definitely cut out. Whereas you could not say the same for the goals we scored. I'm saying that it was a very thin line between 2-2 and 2-0 to England, on another night it could easily have been.

We are constantly improving under Capello, he still has work to do with our defence and he WILL sort it out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

QUOTE]

And no, if you were watching without anti-england glasses on you would've noticed we played the better football throughout the game.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And no, if you were watching without anti-england glasses on you would've noticed we played the better football throughout the game.

Why would I be watching with anti-England glasses?

Is it good football to gift the opposition two goals? Shouldn't not gifting the opposition goals play a part in evaulating whether you've played well or not?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why would I be watching with anti-England glasses?

Is it good football to gift the opposition two goals? Shouldn't not gifting the opposition goals play a part in evaulating whether you've played well or not?

Yes definitely. My point is they were very preventable errors, whereas if we had simply been outclassed in all departments over 90 minutes I would be more concerned. We weren't, and under Capello I don't see such errors happening in a competitive match.

Overall (in all areas) we were the better team over 90 minutes.

Ya get me blud?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here