Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven Goran Erikkson

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saw he was at the game tonight, I hope he feels suitably shamed having seen that exhilarating performance. THAT is how you send teams out to play, not playing the absolute sit on 1-0 shite and hope for the best that he served up.

(I know he had that famous win over Germany but that proved to be a 100% fluke imo). He had the players, but bordered on the inept in the way he made us play.

I am actually watching and enjoying England playing again..

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or more likely it doesn't fit your argument.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, if you can list what other games were thrilling to watch in the years he was in charge, against decent opposition?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or more likely it doesn't fit your argument.
:lolol:

I was just reading that thinking writing off one exhilarating 5-1 victory as lucky, and another as a stroke of tactical genius, seemed a little...selective.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sven wasn't perfect. He was pragmatic and made us a hard team to beat. Did we ever get thrashed off the park in a finals and clearly deserve and early ticket home?

What players di dhe have? Were they ready? Were we lucky? Were we unfortunate?

Comparing 2009 England with 2004 England is fruitless.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4BNkO9l318o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4BNkO9l318o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

yeah, Sven was useless! :jester:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Amazing that someone had to beat up on old Sven on the night we have gloriously qualified for the world cup.

Cappello and Ericsson are both different but both successful. Compare Sven's record with the dross we had before from 1996 and then the glorious McLaren years. We lost on pens to Portugal when an inept ref got conned (remember, he should have blown up for a foul on Rooney by Carvalho before the nutcracker retailiation. And whenever a portuguese player lost the ball they went down like a sack of potatoes to get the game stopped. We might not have won the world cup but we certainly didn't deserve to go out like that. As for McLaren, lets not forget we were only 21 minutes away from qualifying with a team ravaged by injuries. I believe McLarens big mistake was the new brush syndrome when he got rid of Beckham for the first part of the qualifying tournament. Had he still been in the squad, we probably would have qualified for the finals.
Roll on 2010.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a stupid thread. Sven and Fabio may have very different styles, but to deem one's 5-1 win as "a fluke" and then praise the current 5-1 win is hypocrisy beyond belief.

For what it's worth, I thought Sven was a good England boss. We reached every tournament without a worry, got to the quarter finals each time (which is actually an achievement, despite the fact some people seem to think unless we win the whole thing it's a failure), and with a little more luck could have progressed further.

Fabio is a class act and, I suspect, will surpass Sven's record. But that doesn't mean Sven was terrible. Just look at his predecessor and successor for proof of that.

Agreed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
What a stupid thread. Sven and Fabio may have very different styles, but to deem one's 5-1 win as "a fluke" and then praise the current 5-1 win is hypocrisy beyond belief.

Oh come on they were two completely different games. The game in Germany EVERYTHING went for us. Tonight we battered the Croatians and the only complaint you could have had at half time was that it was only 2.

For what it's worth, I thought Sven was a good England boss. We reached every tournament without a worry, got to the quarter finals each time (which is actually an achievement, despite the fact some people seem to think unless we win the whole thing it's a failure), and with a little more luck could have progressed further.

Fabio is a class act and, I suspect, will surpass Sven's record. But that doesn't mean Sven was terrible. Just look at his predecessor and successor for proof of that.

I liked Sven, he was a consistent manager. His sides weren't very "English" in the way that they played so he will frequently get slated. He was unlucky to draw Brazil when we did in 02 but we would have had to beat them some when along the line. We should have won the tournament in 2004 but he relied too much on Rooney. Just hope the current mush isn't doing the same!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Agree with that. The shit that amrmchair pundits came out with about Sven really had me sick of the whole thing in general and for the first time ever didn't really follow England in the qualifiers for Euro 2008 (which was lucky for me).
Think Capello could push us a bit further though, He seems very impressive. But as you say, if we don't reach the final/win it, the knives/armchair managers will be out.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I expect to be mostly disappointed when I watch the Albion because of what we are are what has happened to us and I accept that it may not be great to watch most of the time.

Unlike most on this thread I expect to be entertained and occasionally thrilled by my national team. So Sven got us to 3 tournaments but did it with a brand of football that had me wanting to throw things at the telly. The way he chose the same players regardless of form and the complete lack of ideas when we were up against top teams and never beating them when it mattered over three tournaments made watching England a chore for me.

I actually think we should be amongst the top 10 or so countries in the World and we should qualify for tournaments so Sven's achievement in getting us there should really be a minimum requirement of a decent manager.

Capello has been like breath of fresh air and since he's taken over, he has picked form players and got the best of out them. I know we will be a far far better team to watch in South Africa than we were in any of the 3 tournaments under SGE. I doubt we'll win but it's gonna be fun to watch us try, something I never felt under SGE. I accept I will get slated for not being in way impressed by Sven's whole time in charge, except that Germany game.

Watching England is fun again and it's not just last night's game that makes me say that.

Very well put.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm in the unique position of agreeing with both The Complete Badger and drew! Yeah, ok Ericsson isn't the greatest manager in the world and Cappello is better in every respect, and if we'd had Cappello instead of Sven in 2002, 2004 and 2006 - who knows? But we didn't and it's pointless speculating (In 2006 would he have taken Rooney and Owen who were both injured?)

As a manager Ericsson was MILES than Keegan. When Keegan was manager we were in danger of not even qualifying for 2002, let alone reaching the quarter-finals. Don't forget we'd only just qualified for the 2000 Euros (where we were shit) after a narrow play-off victory against some fifth-rate nation (can't remember who, Spotlund or something?).

In the contect of the not-too-glorious history of the English national team Sven was one of our better managers. As well as being better than Keegan he was also MILES better than McClaren, and although historical comparisons are never that useful I'd say he was miles better than both Taylor and Revie and also better than Greenwood.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wasn't the main issue most people had with Sven that he insisted on playing Lampard and Gerrard together? Funny how no-one seems to mention that anymore

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Wasn't the main issue most people had with Sven that he insisted on playing Lampard and Gerrard together? Funny how no-one seems to mention that anymore

Capello has put Gerrard out on the left - and he stays out there too (two goals last night coming in from left). Sven had them both in the centre occupying the same space.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I expect to be mostly disappointed when I watch the Albion because of what we are are what has happened to us and I accept that it may not be great to watch most of the time.

Unlike most on this thread I expect to be entertained and occasionally thrilled by my national team. So Sven got us to 3 tournaments but did it with a brand of football that had me wanting to throw things at the telly. The way he chose the same players regardless of form and the complete lack of ideas when we were up against top teams and never beating them when it mattered over three tournaments made watching England a chore for me.

I actually think we should be amongst the top 10 or so countries in the World and we should qualify for tournaments so Sven's achievement in getting us there should really be a minimum requirement of a decent manager.

Capello has been like breath of fresh air and since he's taken over, he has picked form players and got the best of out them. I know we will be a far far better team to watch in South Africa than we were in any of the 3 tournaments under SGE. I doubt we'll win but it's gonna be fun to watch us try, something I never felt under SGE. I accept I will get slated for not being in way impressed by Sven's whole time in charge, except that Germany game.

Watching England is fun again and it's not just last night's game that makes me say that.

Top post. My words exactly

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
f*** me some of you have got short memories - or you're very young. Do you not remember how SHIT we were under Taylor and Keegan? Ericsson's England were like Brazil 1970 compared to those eras.

Although, yes, Capello's England does make Sven's England look a little bit Taylor-esque.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here