Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex - your favourite thing...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I like the fact that the Armistice to end the first world war was signed in a house about half a mile from where I live. Also, I just love Brighton. There's no place quite like it anywhere in the world. And the people - the vast majority of sussex folk really are very nice people to spend time with:)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
sussex folk are the friendliest around

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
pevenseagull said:
The entirely justified sense of superiority that I feel when I meet anyone from anywhere else. That goes for meeting people from West Sussex as well because East Sussex is better, quite frankly.
west sussex la la la west sussex la la la:lolol:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Travelling by train across the Ouse Valley viaduct (just before Haywards Heath station). Fabulous views that announce you're back in Sussex - especially soothing after a shite day in the smoke.

Ashdown Forest- beautiful and vast and completely free.

Tile-hung houses - we've even got our own architecture.

I could go on but those will have to do.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Sussex is the prettiest county in the country imo to. wasn't really til i went to uni in manchester that i realised how privilaged we are to have such nice countryside and villages as well as the prettiest/friendliest city in the country all in one county!

best bits... just browsing round brighton and in particular the lanes area during a nice summer day, and lindfield common and highstreet has gotta be up there for me- gorgeous high street and grew up kicking a football around on the common! Also some of the nightlife's some of the best around- wish more bars would get late licences though.

Get a bit of stick for living in the brighton area up at uni but as soon as they come down it everyone loves it!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hove&Albion F.C said:
Get a bit of stick for living in the brighton area up at uni ...
Yeah, I bet especially from those that have never been here.

I might also add the view from Ditchling Beacon and Devil's Dyke.

The view from the eastern-most hill on the South Downs (the name of which escapes me) looking down over Eastbourne.

The harbour inlets at Pagham in summer. So tranquil...

The view of a summer sunset over Brighton and to the west from the top of the Race Hill.

More later...

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Walking from the east pier Newhaven, around Seaford Bay, up Seaford Head and down to the Cuckmere River with that great view of the Seven Sisters. Then into the Golden Galleon for lots of real ale and some home made steak pie.
Try it on a winter morning.
:drink:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
The magnificent Falmer Community Stadium. It's a beautiful Sussex landmark.

I would also echo all the sentiment for the lanes, there truly is nowhere in the world so unique and diverse yet so great.

I remember reading years ago that Brighton had more cyber cafes than any other town in Britain and was always proud of that for some reason, although I guess these days it's less likely the case as cyber cafes seem pretty pointless in the modern age.

Brighton must surely have more vegetarian and health food shops/cafes/restaurants than anywhere else in the UK. All of them great.

We had the best pier in the country too until those vicious bastards destroyed it.

The beautiful, lush rolling hills and magnificent views as soon as you leave the city.

The pavilion. Better than any Cathedral by my books.

Fantastic bar and club scene to rival even London (aside from licensing hours). As well as the dance music community which I would say has overtaken Bristol as the best place for free thinking new music outside of the capital.

I had the unenviably bad luck to end up working in Southampton for 4 months earlier this year and it really made me realise how South Coast cities can vary so dramatically. Even in broad daylight during the Summer months you couldn't feel safe walking the streets and that is something else we take for granted - the safety aspect. I have never (touch wood) experienced any threatening behaviour or muggings in Brighton or anywhere in Sussex. And yet on my few visits to Reading I've been held up twice, Croydon I just take it as red that it's going to happen and Southampton locals would run you down for the shirt off your back.
Wandering the lanes after dark however you are more likely to come across a rabble of rowdy hen-nighters than you are a petty criminal.

And even though we have the Event II and whatever Paradox is called now, these townie venues are still a cut above their equivalents elsewhere (take Ikon in Crawley for instance).

Do you know, I think we've got it made down in beautiful Sussex. Why would you want to leave?

D

Deleted User X18H

Notters said:
"The entirely justified sense of superiority that I feel when I meet anyone from anywhere else. That goes for meeting people from West Sussex as well because East Sussex is better, quite frankly."

Couldn't agree more! West Sussex always seems tedious in comparison :p
Oh well said old boy

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Highdown Hill
Swanbourne Lake
The Arun at Amberley
The Goldstone Ground (RIP)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The view as you approach the turning for the A272 whilst driving on the A23 (just past Handcross heading south)
When returning from Yorkshire that view told me I was nearly home - looking towards the South Downs over the Weald.

Bluebell Railway
The sea
The coastline
Sunset over the West Pier
Royal Pavilion
Preston Park
Withdean (yes even Withdean when you've been deprived of the Albion for years)
The view from the Racehill out towards Worthing
The view from Beachy Head towards Eastbourne
The Clocktower
The view from the footbridge in Shoreham looking back towards the Downs
Henfield (family memories)
The yellow lichen that only grows on the roofs down here
Loads and loads of trees still left after the Great Storm

Kev the Ape

the devils dyke on a winters morning lovely jubbly. and arundel a beautiful place to go for antiques and watch cricket in the glorious sunshine and the distant arundel castle in the background.
the lovely scenery when u drive over ditchling beacon and seeing lovely hollingbury in its glorious asda superstore.:D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I have driven through all the counties in England and my top five are
1) Sussex
2)Cornwall
3)Dorset
4)Somerset
5)Devon

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Well as people know, I love Sussex. I went to school near the wonderful South downs for 9 years. Heres the things I love about Sussex

The South Downs
The wonderful Sussex coast
The castles of Sussex (Amberley, Arundel, Lewes, Pevensey, Bodiam, and Camber)
Watching tennis at Eastbourne on a nice sunny day.
Cricket at Arundel castle (Never been but would love to)
The large number of intresting towns to explore
Home to the coolest city in England Brighton
The friendly Sussex people and their accent.
The laid back lifestyle,

I could go on almost forever. But I love Sussex. I consider myself to be a Sussex Boy, and I am proud of it.

P.S I hate the East, West Sussex divide. This place will always be Sussex to me.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The best part of Sussex is sex.:lol:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
(take Ikon in Crawley for instance).

I agree there, it is a well dodgy place, most of my mates stay clear of that place, as they have been mugged there.

Crawleys s*it for nightlife, Brightons much better. I feel much safer going out in Brighton than I do in Crawley.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
There is no such thing as East and West Sussex in my book - it's just a line on a map dreamt up by some faceless politician in the early 70's. It is and always will be the Kingdom of the South Saxons to me. Here are my favourite things about Sussex:

The White Cliffs at the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head - far superior to the ones at Dover.

Rye and Winchelsea - you can almost see the smugglers walking the streets!

Bonfire - can't believe no-one has mentioned that!

Glorious Goodwood - up with the top events to be seen at

Chichester Cathedral

The Royal Pavilion - nothing like it anywhere else in the world

Follies - the obvious ones that spring to mind are Mad Jack Fullers pyramid in Brightling and Nore near Slindon

The raft races on the Adur and Ouse

The Bluebell Railway

Autumn at Sheffield Park - quite spectacular

Ashdown Forest

The South Downs Way - the most popular long distance footpath in the UK. Try it if you haven't - it's fantastic!

Lewes generally (I'm biased - I grew up there)

The woods that stretch across the north of the County - much underrated in my book especially St Leonards Forest near Horsham

I could go on and on............

There aint a place like it!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Quote from chips and gravy. "The White Cliffs at the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head - far superior to the ones at Dover."

Yes sir. Spot on. Unless you see the Dover cliffs with the Castle on top.

My favorite two things are:

The view from the Racehill.

The change in mentality on Victoria Station. The Sussex side is so friendly, whilst the Kent side is rude and horrid.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I used to go to school in Kent and everyday on my way home on the bus, it was always like I was a breathing a sigh of relief when I was going past the East Sussex sign on the A26. I think I might have to nick that sign one day. Sussex is my home, where I grew up, my home team are and where I've got a lot of happy memories. Sussex always seems much greener to me, there's always so much countryside than anywhere else. I love it.

:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here