Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex v Leics Day Two: Today's The Day?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
My mate works near the ground and he rang me up when he heard an almighty cheer and thunderus applause...oh to be there :nono:

CHAMPIONS...CHAMPIONS...CHAMPIONS...CHAMPIONS:clap2:

FatboyTim

Jul 14, 2003
the moon
party.gif

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
PIGOTT'S TRIUMPH

Sussex's century wait to win the County Championship arrived a year behind schedule - but the man who plotted the success could not care less.

Back in 1997 when the club lurched from crisis to disaster, Tony Pigott, a Sussex man through and through and the county's former opening bowler, led a member's revolt which forced out the old committee.

Pigott, who spent 18 years as a player at Hove, was successful as figurehead of the group and left his coaching position at Surrey to assume the role of chief executive.

An exodus of six capped players, including Alan Wells and Ian Salisbury, prior to that season, left the county with little to work with and unsurprisingly they finished bottom of both the championship and the then Sunday League.

However, Pigott formulated a long-term plan for 1998 onwards, which included being crowned champions within five seasons, removed Peter Moores from the captaincy, making him coach, and signed Chris Adams, from Derbyshire, on a jumbo-sized contract to lead the team.

Adams today became the first county championship-winning captain in Sussex's 104 seasons - not even Ted Dexter's side of the 1960s, which won the first two Gillette Cups, could claim the domestic game's major prize.

"In the end we were just one year out but the important thing was we reached the goal," said Pigott.

"Sussex have obviously been a successful one-day side and won competitions over the past 30-something years but the one thing we were desperate to win was the County Championship.

"I take a lot of pride out of this, Sussex is in my blood, winning means an awful lot to me and an awful lot to people on the south coast."

Pigott's 'Sussex 2000' business plan turned around the attitude of the club; they fiddled with start times to try and attract optimum crowds and embraced day-night one-day cricket like no other county.

However, after three years as chief executive he was ousted from the position by Australian Dave Gilbert, who had followed from Surrey, originally as director of cricket.

Pigott - who retains no bitterness about his departure - now works as an insurance consultant to sportsmen, alongside former Brighton and England footballer Steve Foster, and is about to further his business interests by purchasing a pub.

"I was part of the Sussex revolution and the club will always be there, people come and go. It is all about the club succeeding, what happened to me happened, you look to the future and move on," said Pigott, who, nevertheless, left Adams as his legacy.

"Chris Adams played a major part, what he brought was a different outlook, he had none of the Sussex baggage and we got Michael Bevan to bring in some of the Australian mentality into the dressing room.

"It was a gradual process of trying to change things around, making people think differently.

"We needed a captain because I decided that Peter Moores was coming to the end of his career and his enthusiasm would make him a perfect choice as coach.

"The person we wanted was a strong character and a good player who would not be picked for England. I didn't think Chris would be playing international cricket so he would be in the team all the time - as it happened he got picked for a while."

Others have contributed to the success, not least prolific Pakistan leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed and England's James Kirtley while youngster Matthew Prior has struck four centuries from number seven.

"We made a point of strengthening youth development," said Pigott.

"Mushtaq has been a major player this season but some of the youngsters have made massive contributions and James Kirtley was the sort of cricketer we identified as wanting in 1997, someone who runs in and gives 100% every time he bowls."

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Chappers what time you off down there? Not sure If I'm going just yet, got alot to do tonight :angry: but I'll decide about 4ish

Jul 6, 2003
anyone paying attention to the game

raced on to 350, 50 in about 20 mins!!!

Goody and Grizzly are going mental out there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here